Thread closed due to trolling.

• There's also a bit from Dancing with the Moonlit Knight and Blood on the Rooftops (although I haven't quite found that one yet) in there as well.

Was so surprised and delighted the 1st time I heard this. Also nice to know this bit stayed with IKWIL for years to come.

Some claim that The Animals' Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is in there, too, although I've never heard it. Tony is a big fan of The Animals, though.

• StillCan`tDance is a man of clear opinions and he utters them clearly. You can either like it or not. I see, that he reacted positively on criticism concerning his postings, so you cannot say, he is a troll.

Just for the record: Backdrifter didn`t visit this forum since his last discussion with you. So you might wish to work on your self perception.

Just saying...

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -

• Well, he handled it reasonably on Seconds Out even though PG said it was like seeing someone else dressed in your old clothes and wondering how well they fit.

the music.

He actually said that before the gig (which, according to Armando Gallo's book was at Hammersmith) he thought it would be like watching someone dressed in his "entrails". A comparison that was hardly apposite, given that Phil opted out of wearing those ridiculous and frankly embarrassing costumes, opting instead to focus on the music (thank god).

• Official Post

I have deleted various posts in this thread

Please remember:

1 Do not take every post personal when someone has a different opinion or may use some irony

2 NEVER get personal and insult other users

3 If you feel someone posts an inappropriate comment, discuss it directly with the user in question OR report it to the Admin.

Please continue to discuss Medleys.

thank you

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Did they perform the TIOA medly on the WCD tour? I thought they just performed TIOA as a standalone song in 1992.

I really don't think that by 2007 Phil could have coped with Supper's Ready (although he does sing the line "And it's hey babe" on the audio version of Not Dead Yet and it sounds lovely!).

My memory says they played the medley. Everything I've looked up says they did not. I know what my memory is like so I'd say it is a safe bet they did not do the medley.

• Some claim that The Animals' Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood is in there, too, although I've never heard it.

I'm not too familiar with the actual song, but my understanding is that a riff from DLMBM is heard starting at 7:19 in IKWIL on SECONDS OUT.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I'm not too familiar with the actual song, but my understanding is that a riff from DLMBM is heard starting at 7:19 in IKWIL on SECONDS OUT.

Yup, Tony plays the main riff from that song at around that timestamp. It's in a strange context, fairly brief, and there's other things going on (like that bit of audience participation clapping) but once you've heard it, it's actually quite obvious - provided you know the riff!

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he, or she?

• Just picking up on a couple of previous points.

Admittedly the jam section of IKWIL only contains snippets of other songs, which doesn't quite work for my definition of a medley (at least give me a full verse or chorus or major instrumental section). That said, I do find the snippets of the old songs interesting - DWTML (around 5:02), Stagnation (around 5:41), Visions of Angels (around 5:48), Blood on the Rooftops(around 6:29) on the Seconds Out version. The inclusion of the DLMBM is definitely there around 7:19. I'm sure there are other bits in the jam that I haven't yet connected to their origins. The 2007 tour version reprised the BotR bit and then the Stagnation bit when the jam kicks in after the tambourine routine. I don't particularly like the WCD version with snippets of Follow You, Follow Me, etc.

With regards to resurrecting Supper's Ready in 2007, given that they lowered the keys of various songs for the 2007 tour and Phil seemed to handle them, then they could have done the same for at least a portion of Supper's Ready. If Phil could sing a lower version of Mama, which is a grueling workout for his higher range, then the end of Supper's Ready should also have been possible a few steps down.

• Just picking up on a couple of previous points.

Admittedly the jam section of IKWIL only contains snippets of other songs, which doesn't quite work for my definition of a medley (at least give me a full verse or chorus or major instrumental section). That said, I do find the snippets of the old songs interesting - DWTML (around 5:02), Stagnation (around 5:41), Visions of Angels (around 5:48), Blood on the Rooftops(around 6:29) on the Seconds Out version. The inclusion of the DLMBM is definitely there around 7:19. I'm sure there are other bits in the jam that I haven't yet connected to their origins. The 2007 tour version reprised the BotR bit and then the Stagnation bit when the jam kicks in after the tambourine routine. I don't particularly like the WCD version with snippets of Follow You, Follow Me, etc.

With regards to resurrecting Supper's Ready in 2007, given that they lowered the keys of various songs for the 2007 tour and Phil seemed to handle them, then they could have done the same for at least a portion of Supper's Ready. If Phil could sing a lower version of Mama, which is a grueling workout for his higher range, then the end of Supper's Ready should also have been possible a few steps down.

Great info! Will be listening again and paying attention to the time display. 😁

I agree that Supper's Ready, or at least a snippet could have worked in a lower key. All the other songs worked. My understanding though is that Supper's Ready was off the table from the get go. I kind of remember a Q&A or info piece coming put after the tour was announced saying such. Perhaps someone could confirm or deny...

• Gabble Ratchet

Changed the title of the thread from “Medleys - (Band originals & fan edits)” to “Thread closed due to trolling.”.
  • Just for the record: Backdrifter didn`t visit this forum since his last discussion with you. So you might wish to work on your self perception.

Also for the record: I just wanted to let things cool off a bit, plus I had been here a lot (and been listening to a LOT of Genesis!) so decided to have a break anyway, from the music and the forum. Judging from the swathes of deleted posts, I'm not sure things did cool off, but hopefully have now... I think my own heated discussion was in essence a storm in a teacup that I might've handled better, but anyway let's move on.

Abandon all reason

• Great info! Will be listening again and paying attention to the time display. 😁

I agree that Supper's Ready, or at least a snippet could have worked in a lower key. All the other songs worked. My understanding though is that Supper's Ready was off the table from the get go. I kind of remember a Q&A or info piece coming put after the tour was announced saying such. Perhaps someone could confirm or deny...

At the London press conference for the tour announcement in 2006 they said straight off they would go back as far as 1973 and therefore not including SR.

Abandon all reason

• At the London press conference for the tour announcement in 2006 they said straight off they would go back as far as 1973 and therefore not including SR.

If I remember rightly, that was the press conference where he-who-shall-not-be-named complained about the prospect of medleys, earning a good-natured "Picky picky picky" from Phil. On the 2007 tour they could really only go back so far and I think they made the right decision to draw the line where they did.

• I don't particularly like the WCD version with snippets of Follow You, Follow Me, etc.

Neither does Phil. In hindsight he felt it was the wrong thing to do, that it was far too cabaret and that fans who might have come to hear a particular song would've (rightly) felt short-changed if all they'd got was one line of the tune before the band moved on to the next snippet.

I've always found it odd that the medley for which Genesis appear to have got the most criticism from a section of the fanbase is the Turn It On Again medley that they started performing during the Mama tour. It's no different in its execution and intent to the medleys that Led Zeppelin used to do of old blues numbers (usually in the middle of some interminably long Whole Lotta Love or Dazed And Confused) or when Queen used to do drop bits of Little Richard, Ricky Nelson and Buddy Holly numbers into their shows.

• Neither does Phil. In hindsight he felt it was the wrong thing to do, that it was far too cabaret and that fans who might have come to hear a particular song would've (rightly) felt short-changed if all they'd got was one line of the tune before the band moved on to the next snippet.

I've always found it odd that the medley for which Genesis appear to have got the most criticism from a section of the fanbase is the Turn It On Again medley that they started performing during the Mama tour. It's no different in its execution and intent to the medleys that Led Zeppelin used to do of old blues numbers (usually in the middle of some interminably long Whole Lotta Love or Dazed And Confused) or when Queen used to do drop bits of Little Richard, Ricky Nelson and Buddy Holly numbers into their shows.

As someone who loves the original songs in the Mama tour TIOA medley, I still don't like that medley. Genesis doesn't have a history of being a cover band and tipping the hat overtly to influences in their live performances (the quote from Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood in the IKWIL jam notwithstanding). I don't think it is their strength, so I didn't care to hear it. Reinventing old blues songs and folk songs was definitely a strength for bands like Led Zeppelin. Right from their first album, they had stunning covers of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and You Shook Me.

• I've always found it odd that the medley for which Genesis appear to have got the most criticism from a section of the fanbase is the Turn It On Again medley that they started performing during the Mama tour...

What the good Dr. says makes a lot of sense. For me the TIOA medley was a waste of precious concert time that could have been used for playing something from their own catalog or playing the full song of something they "medley-ized." As a fan I prefer the 1970-1980 era but find very little fault with the band's output after that. The TIOA medley, however, was a low point for the band IMO.

• What the good Dr. says makes a lot of sense. For me the TIOA medley was a waste of precious concert time that could have been used for playing something from their own catalog or playing the full song of something they "medley-ized." As a fan I prefer the 1970-1980 era but find very little fault with the band's output after that. The TIOA medley, however, was a low point for the band IMO.

I agree. It didn't work for Genesis at all. It ruined Turn It On Again. It seemed to be an indulgence for Phil as much as anything.

• Well I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I really enjoy the Turn It On Again medley, at least as it appeared at Wembley 1987. I think it's very fun and well-put-together. But then, I never went to see Genesis live, got to the end of the concert and then had this presented to me as the closing number, and I can see why that experience might be a bit disappointing.

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he, or she?