Cheesiest song of all time?

• External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Toto Cutugno- Insieme 1992.

Our best italian cheesy songwriter! :thumbup:

• I get all that but for me it falls into your previously mentioned category of 'taking a serious topic and making a really naff song out of it'.

Also, to be fair regarding the lyrics, German or English the most KƤse-like aspect of it is the music šŸ§€šŸ§€šŸ§€

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I've always found the 'my generation will put it right' line to be pure irony. They can't, and they know it. If there is anything cheesy about it I would say the middle eight (I remember long ago,etc), which of course occurs just before 'I won't be coming home tonight'.

I think so too re 'my generation' etc, especially as it's followed by "we're not just making promises that we know we'll never keep" - I've always thought there's a very knowing tone to that. I can see how it'd feel cringey if read differently. However I quite like the midsection, particularly Banks's typically pretty synth line at the tail-end.

As far as Genesis goes Iā€™d have to give the cheese to I Canā€™t Dance. Jesus He Knows Me is a close second.

So, Genesis doing irony translates for you as pure dairy!

Abandon all reason

• I get all that but for me it falls into your previously mentioned category of 'taking a serious topic and making a really naff song out of it'.

Also, to be fair regarding the lyrics, German or English the most KƤse-like aspect of it is the music šŸ§€šŸ§€šŸ§€

And yet you said "There's an overly earnest vibe that sometimes characterises cheesey songs, an example for me would be 99 Dead Baboons." - can't see how that applies to the music in this case. You could cite the lyrics as earnest, but that tune could carry lyrics of many topics, IMO. Seems you just don't like it, which is fine, maybe we should just start a crap songs thread. There may even be one, and it's just slipped down the timeline too far!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• And yet you said "There's an overly earnest vibe that sometimes characterises cheesey songs, an example for me would be 99 Dead Baboons." - can't see how that applies to the music in this case. You could cite the lyrics as earnest, but that tune could carry lyrics of many topics, IMO. Seems you just don't like it, which is fine, maybe we should just start a crap songs thread. There may even be one, and it's just slipped down the timeline too far!

Yes I do find it quite crap, in a cheesey way.

Abandon all reason

• Can't believe Chris De Burgh hasn't got a mention yet. I don't mind some of his stuff myself but Lady in Red is very very cheesy and he's done even worse since!

You beat me to it. The crown prince of aged stilton. I often appreciate a good bit of cheese, but not him. Ugh.

As far as Genesis goes Iā€™d have to give the cheese to I Canā€™t Dance. Jesus He Knows Me is a close second.

I Can't Dance is a little cheesy I think but JHKM? Surely not. That's one of their best, straight up, uncheesy rock songs for me.

• This is the kind of cheese I like. Big, dopey eurodisco with no shame at all šŸ˜ƒ

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yep. Pretty much the same note sequence, but backwards.

Never thought that but running through them in my mind, I can begin to see it. Fascinating how music works. 99 is naffness epitomised while Wake Up is possibly my favourite Moulding songs, one of XTC's best and darkest - blood running into the gutter while onlookers yawn and say nothing - and probably their strongest album opener and one of my absolute favourite starts to any album ever. Coincidentally, as I've done on personal XTC compilations, it also makes a great closer with that long fade leaving the ethereal vocal.

Tangential PS alluding to a previous unrelated conversation - 'songs' above was changed by my phone to sings when I typed it. Earlier it also changed bit to 'bib' among other nonsensical "corrections".

Abandon all reason

• Never thought that but running through them in my mind, I can begin to see it. Fascinating how music works. 99 is naffness epitomised while Wake Up is possibly my favourite Moulding songs, one of XTC's best and darkest - blood running into the gutter while onlookers yawn and say nothing - and probably their strongest album opener and one of my absolute favourite starts to any album ever. Coincidentally, as I've done on personal XTC compilations, it also makes a great closer with that long fade leaving the ethereal vocal.

Fine album, one of their best and massively underrated, This World Over and Seagulls probably being the other best tracks.

99 Luftballons was probably the biggest impact of NDW on the world, and while it's not their best track, IMO, it's still pretty good. Not as good as Wake Up, but that's no disgrace, to paraphrase YES, whose Wonderous Stories puts me in mind of a certain smelly clergyman!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• External Content www.youtube.com

• I thought of another pretty ripe one.

External Content youtu.be