Food and Drink

• I love red wine!.

Me too. Been off alcohol for a few weeks but looking forward to indulging some time soon. Any particular favourites? I like the Loire generally, and some of the 'new world' ones. Some good Californian reds too.

Abandon all reason

• Eating liver in stew.. Lots of fresh vegetables.

Broad Beans

Brussel Sprouts

Cauliflower

Carrots

Celery

Tomato's

Onions

Sweet Potato

Miniature Potato's

and Mushrooms.

• Lunch today will be leftovers of a new salad I had for dinner last night, and enjoyed very much - edamame and aduki beans, chopped red pepper, chopped onion, canned tuna in olive oil, crumbled feta, a splash of rice wine vinegar. Really tasty.

For this evening I'm planning a variation of my usual home-made baked beans, smokier and spicier than usual with sweet smoked paprika. Over some spelt sourdough toast.

Abandon all reason

• Lovely dinner - melted some coconut oil, fried sliced onion, lime leaf, lemon grass, garlic, chillies, chicken thigh pieces, the thigh bones, fish sauce, lime juice, then mixed in soba noodles, fresh coriander and Thai sweet basil. Delicious. And still some left over for tomorrow.

I washed it down with a crisp cold Tyskie lager - an indulgence as I very rarely have alcohol at the moment.

Abandon all reason

• For the first time in ages, I'm getting a Chinese takeaway tonight. Tomorrow is my last day at the London flat at least until it's sold. While I'm away there'll hopefully be viewings so I want to get it clean before I go and not have to worry about cleaning the cooker and kitchen. So, a takeaway. Haven't yet decided what to have - I want it to last me into tomorrow lunchtime.

Abandon all reason

• A lovely dinner of slow-cooked beef rendang. Stewing steak, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cinnamon, lemongrass, lime leaf, coconut milk. Enhance the coconut flavour by initially frying the meat and onions etc in coconut oil. Then into the oven for 2+hours at 150C. A squeeze of fresh lime, a sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves. Without a carb accompaniment such as rice, it's quite low-fat. We had ours with some kale crisped in the oven for 5 minutes. A gorgeous, luscious, delicious meal.

Abandon all reason

• I made laksa for dinner. Lovely fresh plump prawns, the heads and shells fried first to provide an intense prawny oil. Then coriander and Thai basil stalks chopped, fried in the oil with onion, anchovy, garlic, ginger, red pepper, then I added stock, fish sauce, lime juice, lemongrass, lime leaf, coconut milk, the prawns, chillis, green beans. Served over wholewheat noodles and topped with coriander, Thai basil leaves, and sliced spring onions. Absolutely delicious.

Abandon all reason

• Delicious crackers: wholegrain spelt flour, water, chia seeds with sunflower/sesame/pumpkin seeds (whatever you prefer but need chia to bind), sea salt, black pepper + whatever other flavourings you like - I used rosemary and thyme. Mix and let the dough firm up, spread thinly onto oiled baking paper on baking tray, into oven at 150C for 20 mins. Remove, carefully cut into crackers, turn each over, bake for another 10-15 minutes. Let cool and dry in the oven, store in an airtight container.

Lovely and savoury, really nice with cheese and/or honey or just some butter.

Abandon all reason

• Delicious crackers: wholegrain spelt flour, water, chia seeds with sunflower/sesame/pumpkin seeds (whatever you prefer but need chia to bind), sea salt, black pepper + whatever other flavourings you like - I used rosemary and thyme. Mix and let the dough firm up, spread thinly onto oiled baking paper on baking tray, into oven at 150C for 20 mins. Remove, carefully cut into crackers, turn each over, bake for another 10-15 minutes. Let cool and dry in the oven, store in an airtight container.

Lovely and savoury, really nice with cheese and/or honey or just some butter.

Sounds divine. Going to try this one. Black pepper and rosemary... Mmmm

• Sounds divine. Going to try this one. Black pepper and rosemary... Mmmm

Not only are they indeed divine but they actually seem to improve after a few days in a tupperware box. I have to stop myself just munching my way through them all.

I'm going to try varying the flavours, next time possibly cumin and coriander.

Abandon all reason