Food and Drink

• I've been trying to cut down on unhealthy drinks like Coffee.... Though I drink a lot of water and tea, sometimes this can become a bore...

Over the past months, I've been boiling grapefruit skin with Orange skins and apple cores as well. Add a bit of honey with cinnamon makes quite a delicious drink indeed.

Infact you can almost use any left overs, to make a healthy drink.

My tip of the day!!....:)

• Good for you, Noni!

I love my twice-a-day iced coffee that I make myself. I always have a mug of coffee in the fridge. I add Lactaid 2% milk and 2 packets of Splenda.

Other than that, I try to drink a few cups of water a day, plus some OJ in the morning.

Every year, I go through a 'healthy period' with the plan to drop a few pounds, but I always go back to the yummy stuff,- oh yes, and the extra pounds that go with it, of course.

The definition of insanity, I believe :/

• Years ago I had to give up caffeine as it...let's just say, stopped agreeing with me. Switched to decaf, which is largely an ongoing disappointment, but when you find a good one you learn to appreciate it even more!

Totally with you on water. I know I need to drink more of it but I have to add something to it.

Your leftovers drink sounds strangely appealing - I may have to give it a go.

• Years ago I had to give up caffeine as it...let's just say, stopped agreeing with me. Switched to decaf, which is largely an ongoing disappointment, but when you find a good one you learn to appreciate it even more!

Totally with you on water. I know I need to drink more of it but I have to add something to it.

Your leftovers drink sounds strangely appealing - I may have to give it a go.

The peel from these fruits are very healthy too, more so then the actual fruit itself..

• I also drink a lot of Marmite too which is good for you!....:) :thumbup:

Though some might say!! 8o

I love this stuff!!! <3

Good for your vitamin B intake ;)

• I also drink a lot of Marmite too which is good for you!....:) :thumbup:

You drink Marmite? What, a spoonful in hot water type of thing?

I love tea and coffee, but I don't get this thing many people seem to have where they drink either one of them incessantly throughout the day. I can have one of each a day and that's fine for me. A tea with breakfast is pretty usual for me, maybe one in the evening, or a coffee. That does me fine. Also, there must be something about my metabolism that creates quirks that seem rare compared to other people's experiences, one being that I can fresh-grind a coffee to have in the evening (and I like it strong) and I can then get off to sleep, no problem. File alongside never having had a hangover - people often hate me for that one, but it's true, and despite having had some insane nights of practically swimming in alcohol in my 20s, not remembering how I got home or ending up somewhere unknown with no memory of how or why type stuff - and also not getting the asparagus-pee thing.

Abandon all reason

• For dinner, we had bacon sandwiches with garden-grown tomatoes. I like mine with ketchup and sometimes with HP sauce.

Can't beat a good bacon sandwich. ^^

However, Canadian bacon rely on rashes rather then the meat. Prefer the English or New Zealand variety. ;)

Zehr's is the only food store here that sells this type of bacon.

• Can't beat a good bacon sandwich. ^^

However, Canadian bacon rely on rashes rather then the meat. Prefer the English or New Zealand variety. ;)

Zehr's is the only food store here that sells this type of bacon.

I find it a real struggle to find good quality bacon over here in NZ. It's far too commonly injected with water that makes frying it properly impossible. It's getting better with some starting to creep into supermarkets but I find it's well behind the UK. One of the very few things I miss about the country!

• For dinner last night I did rice vermicelli, prawns, salmon, all stir-fried in the wok with beaten egg, onion, garlic, chilli, carrot strips, broccoli, red pepper, anchovy then dressed with a mix of lime juice, fish sauce, sesame oil, agave and finely chopped onion and coriander. Delicious, washed down with vintage cider.

Anyone have a favourite restaurant or cafe?

Abandon all reason

• Today's dinner will be soba noodles with salmon and prawns. Our local fishmonger does beautiful high-quality stuff. As usual I'll de-shell and behead the prawns and gently fry the debris to make an intensely flavoured oil to prepare the salmon and prawn flesh. Some vintage cider is chilling nicely in the fridge.

What are your dinner plans?

Abandon all reason

• Yes, the plain white Ice Cream, we probably couldn't afford the Derby! :)

I felt in all conscience I couldn't continue this in the 2020 setlist thread! Also it's a chance to revive this one.

My mouth genuinely is watering thinking of that brown derby.

If it's available, if there's a plain milk ice cream I'll have it - not vanilla, just milk - especially if I'm trying somewhere new. I like to test the most basic thing, like having the marguerita pizza. If they do the basic thing well, it should be good and it indicates they likely do the other stuff well too.

Today I went to our favourite local cafe for the first time since pre-lockdown, the Milk Bar in Inverness Victorian Market. They do Black Isle ice cream which has a beautiful plain milk. But I already know that's good so today I treated myself to a big scoop of jaffa cake flavour on a cone. And I enjoyed it.

Abandon all reason

• What kind of vindaloo? Where from?

If it was OK you shouldn't require all that contemplation time should you?

Chicken vindaloo from my local Indian. I like it more fiery than the coals of hell so it's mostly a self inflicted period of introspection I face after. For a time when I couldn't source one hot enough I took the step of making my own. 10 Carolina reapers, 10 moruga scorpions and 10 ghost Chili's (for the smokiness) in each pot of about seven portions. Mmm. It was time consuming though and now I have a local spot that does a great job. They closed for 5 weeks at the start of the pandemic and I was very sad.