Food and Drink

• I'm travelling back up to Scotland from my London visit on the overnight sleeper train tonight. Having sunk a barrel of delicious cocktails I'm now making my way through some decent (by London standards) US 'cue at Bodeans in Soho. Smokey thighs, tender ribs, seasoned fries, creamed corn (outstanding - that subtle touch of nutmeg) and unctuous BBQ beans studded with soft rich burnt ends. I'm slathering it all with the in-house hickory and hot chipotle sauces and on to my 4th paper napkin off the roll. This is a very rare treat for me and I'm loving every second.

Having had a very good Manhattan I'm quenching with an iced Coke Zero.

Earlier on the PA, I (as usual) enjoyed the bright zippy keyboard riff of Van Halen's Jump. Currently eating to the tense strains of Time by Pink Floyd, an odd but satisfying combo.

Sometimes, life can be good.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" - surely one of Waters's finest moments, the talented sour-faced wanker.

EDIT: My sister, with whom I attended the final Genesis gig, messaged me about PG being in the audience. The very moment I started reading her message Time was replaced on the PA by Solsbury Hill. As Columbo would say - well, how about that.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Improvised meal. I remembered I had a ham hock in the freezer, taking up room and waiting to be used. Defrosted it, seared it in a casserole dish in the fat left from crisping up some smoked bacon lardons. Set all that aside. Into the pan with chopped onion, garlic, bay leaf, rosemary, star anise, saffron, tomato, haricot beans, smoked paprika, chopped prune, then the ham and bacon back in with some veg stock and dry cider. Simmered on the stove then into an oven pre-heated to maximum, turned down low for 30 mins then switched off while we went out for the afternoon.

When we got back it just needed gentle reheating. Ham tender and falling off the bone, beans soft and silky, sauce rich and flavourful. Pretty damn good for meal busked from a freezer cheap cut and store cupboard stuff. Two more portions in the freezer. Delicious and economical.

Abandon all reason

• Sounds amazing, Backdrifter!!

For lunch, I took 18 Easter eggs and turned them into egg salad using mayo, yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, chopped onion, diced celery, salt and pepper. About 6 sandwiches worth. Boy is it good!

• The fly martinez cocktail at Under The Stairs Edinburgh. That is all.

Also at Under The Stairs, the 'dirty burger' - with an unctuous mess of matchstick fries & sloppy joes - isn't, in fact, a dirty burger. It's FILTHY. In case I've died of sin and lasciviousness by the time you read this: goodbye.

Abandon all reason

• I haven't gone yet, but if I do, it'll be in a joyful haze of gustatory pleasure, which'd suit me just fine.

I mean, look, I don't want to die just yet but that'd be an acceptable way if it had to happen now.

Abandon all reason

• Drinking a cup of hot Marmite.

Did you know they give Marmite to certain athletes in sport, like F1 drivers and cyclists. Very high in Vitamin B

Though these can be narrowed down to British athletes 😁

• Why do cornflakes in ice-cold milk taste so much better at night than at breakfast?

EDIT: I realise that for some people breakfast is at night but you know what I mean.

Abandon all reason

• Why do cornflakes in ice-cold milk taste so much better at night than at breakfast?

EDIT: I realise that for some people breakfast is at night but you know what I mean.

Maybe it's because your still not awake yet?...... Just a thought. ;)

• A delicious pasta salad lunch. Wholewheat fusili cooked, rinsed in cold water, drizzled with olive oil and left overnight.

Stir into it finely chopped red onion, yellow pepper, toasted pine nuts, cubed feta, 4 slow-roasted tomatoes (my own recipe - absolutely luscious), torn dry black olives, juice and grated zest of half a lemon, a few parsley leaves and an extra drizzle of olive oil.

I added chopped pickled green chillis to my helping. Man it was good and I had to stop myself wolfing down a whole other portion. There's enough left for another couple of lunches.

Abandon all reason

• A delicious pasta salad lunch. Wholewheat fusili cooked, rinsed in cold water, drizzled with olive oil and left overnight.

Stir into it finely chopped red onion, yellow pepper, toasted pine nuts, cubed feta, 4 slow-roasted tomatoes (my own recipe - absolutely luscious), torn dry black olives, juice and grated zest of half a lemon, a few parsley leaves and an extra drizzle of olive oil.

I added chopped pickled green chillis to my helping. Man it was good and I had to stop myself wolfing down a whole other portion. There's enough left for another couple of lunches.

100% stealing this. Sounds effing phenomenal!

• What did you have for Christmas dinner?

Roasted chicken, roast parsnips, potatoes and carrots, pigs in blankets, pork stuffing, chopped sprouts fried with chestnuts, white wine. Then christmas pudding with brandy cream and a glass of port.

Abandon all reason

• What did you have for Christmas dinner?

Roasted chicken, roast parsnips, potatoes and carrots, pigs in blankets, pork stuffing, chopped sprouts fried with chestnuts, white wine. Then christmas pudding with brandy cream and a glass of port.

You had me until the white wine! Has to be red for me. The rest sounds divine.

I had potatoes dauphinois, stuffing, marrowfat peas, roast brussel sprouts, veggie roast, cranberry sauce and gravy. Sadly, as I was working, I had a kombucha as it was the only non-alcoholic drink other than water. Mince pie with brandy butter, and a Nanaimo square for dessert. I ate far too much.

I also ate an excessive amount of peas on Dec 26th and 27th as there were tons left and I love them. But that volume leads to a certain discomfort.

• Foods I suspect may contain crack:

Maltesers

Jaffa cakes

Pistachios

Aberdeen Kindness Bakery's cheese and chilli mini oatcakes

Buchanan's chocolate mint creams

Hot buttered toast

The Black Isle Berries farm shop chocolate brownies

The salt & chilli ribs from the Happy Garden takeaway in Avoch

The crispy deep-fried broccoli from the French Table restaurant in Surbiton

Abandon all reason