ANTHONY PHILLIPS: „Private Parts & Pieces VIII: New England“, 30th anniversary

• Official Post

Time flies ….

New England was released 30 years ago today. It was in fact the third Phillips album I bought (after Geese and Slow Dance)…

Happy anniversary

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Still probably my favourite of the PPs&Ps series. It just seems more well-rounded and diverse than most of the others. It's a pity - though unsurprising - that it wasn't released on vinyl (imagine that cover as a 12"), though it was the last to be released on cassette.

• Always feels to me like it could/should have been a "normal" Anthony Phillips album (I.e. not in the PP&P series). It just has the flow of a proper album. It's one of his best, and I'm convinced if it had just been called "New England" and marketed as the new AP album it might have done better commercially.

Expanding on that, I feel like there was a bit of mission creep with the PP&P series. The first few were collections of various unreleased bits and pieces. Then later you get releases like PP&P V - "Twelve" which seems to have been a single project conceived and recorded as an album. Why put that in the series?

• One of his very best. Diverse, and yet it holds together as a unified piece incredibly well.

Wish I had a transcript of "Now They've All Gone" (or was able to play piano by ear) as I would love to learn to play it as it is just gorgeous...

• One of his very best. Diverse, and yet it holds together as a unified piece incredibly well.

Wish I had a transcript of "Now They've All Gone" (or was able to play piano by ear) as I would love to learn to play it as it is just gorgeous...

Scores of a number of Ant's piano and keyboard-based compositions, including Now They've All Gone, are available from Sheet Music Direct and Sheet Music Plus.

Todd