Version Living Forever with rehearsals in 1992

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    - 97 thousand. :)

• A lot can be done with a good promotion. People would love to see the full version, for example Driving The Last Spike in the original key, Fading Lights or Dreaming While You Sleep. Plus it would be great quality. Mama was also played very rarely in 1992. I will not mention Way Of The World or Living Forever. So really don't tell me few people would buy it.

Edited once, last by pawciob1 ().

• For those wondering - the full setlist from this day - the guy recording was allowed in for the first 3 songs:

They had obviously dropped Way of the World & Tell Me Why by this point. I believe that Living Forever was the last song dropped the day before the dress rehearsals

LOC

NSOM

Living Forever

Spike

Old Medley

Dreaming

Fading Lights

Jesus He Knows Me

Home By The Sea

Hold On My Heart

Mama

Domino

I Cant Dance

Drum Duet

Tonight Tonight Tonight

Invisible Touch

Throwing It All Away

Turn It On Again

• A lot. :)))))))) The group of fans on Facebook alone has 30,000 people. One! Did you see how many people watched the rehearsal video for the 1992 tour? 97 thousand. So that should give you something to think about. :)

97,000 views. Could be that there's people who watched it multiple times, so less than 97,000 different viewers, perhaps a lot less. Even if there were 97,000 individual viewers, do you really think they would all buy a release of this material? I've watched a lot of things on youtube that I would never buy.

How many units do you think they would need to sell to make it worthwhile to them? This is a band that became accustomed to selling multiple millions of copies of each release. I'm not sure they'd see it as worthwhile to release something that might sell 25,000-50,000 copies.

• I wrote that 30,000 fans from one group!!!!!!! And the fact that the same people watched the clip are certainly exceptions - many people already have this movie on their computer. Do you know how many Genesis fan groups there are? Certainly about 200, 300 of different kinds - smaller, larger or very small. Oh - you also forgot that Genesis is liked by fans of Phil or Steve. A lot of people will buy it if it's well-promoted. The tour from 1992 is one of the most liked by fans. Maybe less than the 70s, but it was and is liked - I know that it was from it that the team made the most profits. Unfortunately, I did not find the number of people in the world who bought this box, e.g. from 1983-2007. But I will. And the fact that only 50,000 people will buy such a box is complete nonsense. The problem is that no one wants to do a good media promotion of these recordings. You have to put in a bit of effort here. That's why there are excuses like people won't buy it. Please forgive my tone, but let the people from this management take a risk, do a proper marketing promotion and I'm sure they will reach up to about a million people. It also depends on whether it will be a single attempt or a box of several attempts. If there will be a box additionally, e.g. with a concert, a few million will be fine. But it takes a bit of effort.

• A very good setlist. :))))) It's a pity that the recorder wasn't allowed in Mama or Dreaming While You Sleep, but he did a fantastic job anyway. Thanks to usapcfan for the info and this tracklist. For now, I doubt it, but maybe someone will come to their senses and publish it someday - either for free or for a fee.

• And by the way, those 97,000 people just watched the movie for a month. Really let people from the band do a proper research, research how many fans want these unique performances, e.g. from rehearsals. The 35-second clip for Do The Neurothic was watched by 2,000 people in less than 2 days. I guess that means something.

• Question for you:

Would you buy this ? All of this is in archives either with Genesis and/or Concord

4CD/DVD Box Set - The Complete We Cant Dance

Disc 1 Original WCD 12 Songs

Disc 2

• HOF
    • OTS
    • Stones – Demo
    • Demo of other song that wants finished
    • NSOM - TV Performance Usage
    • ICD Backing Track -TV Performance Usage
    • HOMH Backing Track -TV Performance Usage
    • Fading Lights – Demo
    • Never A Time – Demo
    • Since I Lost You - Demo
    • Tell Me Why – Rehearsal
    • Living Forever – Rehearsal
    • Way of The World. – Rehearsal

Disc 3

• No Son of Mine – Live
    • Jesus He Knows Me – Live
    • Driving The Last Spike – Live Original key
    • Driving The Last Spike – Later Version
    • I Cant Dance – Live
    • Dreaming While You Sleep – Live
    • Hold on my Heart – Live
    • Fading Lights – Live
    • Carpet Crawlers – Live Southampton
    • Mama – Live Astrodome

Disc 4

Unreleased WCD Footage Concert –

Mama,

Dreaming While You Sleep From Theater Tour with Story

Unreleased Rehearsal Concert Footage filmed at Chiddingfold or Blimp Hangar

• I know it wasn't a question for me, but I'd buy it.

Has the Tell Me Why rehearsal ever been heard?

• The Tell Me Why recording was never heard. And the question is superfluous - of course I would buy it. :) That's probably clear. :) Of course, I would change a few things - the recordings should be from these rehearsals before the tour, unknown. :) But even if Mama is with the Astrodome and Carpet Crawlers with Southampton, I'd buy it. I'd even put the money aside for a few months and buy it. :)

• I'm sure most fans would buy it without hesitation. :) I'm completely serious. Just look around the internet a bit. People are waiting for something new - no matter what era. :) And the tour from 1992 is close to people, because they remember it best - next to those from 2007 and The Last Domino. And what you presented - these are often new things. :) Demo for Fading Lights? It would be a huge surprise.

• And by the way, those 97,000 people just watched the movie for a month. Really let people from the band do a proper research, research how many fans want these unique performances, e.g. from rehearsals. The 35-second clip for Do The Neurothic was watched by 2,000 people in less than 2 days. I guess that means something.

Nothing you've said in any of your posts here is any inkling of a basis for a commercial release of rehearsals. However many views of them there've been - and as Henry said, that's VIEWS not PEOPLE - is utterly irrelevant. Do you actually know we're talking about Genesis here? Do you know anything at all about this band? In case you weren't aware, they don't even put out anniversary editions of their own albums as other bands do, they haven't even put together live discs of whole concert broadcasts from the material available to them. They're supremely focused on quality and have never been inclined to put just anything out.

They've always carefully policed everything that goes out under their name. Do you seriously think they'd sit down and look at these viewing figures and say "You know what, we need to get these old rehearsals out on commercial release!" It's pure fantasy.

Abandon all reason

• What you've presented here should apply to any Genesis CD. :) The same on each. Unrealized demos, rehearsals - just like Do The Neurothic live in 1986 or other tracks. This is the direction the team should follow.

• But I know it - I just don't understand it and I won't understand it. In their place, I would do what I said. And as for the quality? They hire 5, 10 sound engineers to remaster it all and track it down. 2 years of work and the box comes out. I know that what I write is not possible at the moment - only in their place I would act completely differently.

• On such boxes, however, they would really earn a lot of money. You just have to be willing to work a bit and put in the effort. I mean sound and image engineers. I will not change my opinion that they would lose on such boxes. Not true. I know that releasing such boxes now is completely unrealistic, but I know that with good marketing a lot of people would buy it. But it takes some work here.

• On such boxes, however, they would really earn a lot of money.

Not only is that simply not true, but even if it were they wouldn't care. And why would they? They have lots of money. They know their kids, their families, are well taken care of. It's ludicrous to think they'd suddenly say, let's get a team together to really polish these REHEARSALS to a high shine and release them.

I will not change my opinion that they would lose on such boxes. Not true.

It's irrelevant that you won't change your opinion, because it 100% is true and will remain so regardless of your opinion.

Abandon all reason

• I've said before i don't understand the economics of these things, so bear that in mind.

It seems to me there are two main aspects to think about.

1 - the artist's approach to such matters. Genesis, time and time again, have shown themselves to be disinclined to emptying out the vaults. It's not a mystery, it's something they have a proven track record of. Whether it's disinterest on their part, or perfectionism or whatever doesn't really matter. There are plenty of other artists out there who will release every note they ever played, that's completely irrelevant because Genesis aren't those artists.

2 - the financial aspect. I appreciate there's a cost to making box sets. I know the market for these things is limited. I don't fully understand why I can go to Newbury Comics and see dozens of very large, pretty expensive box sets for artists i've truly never heard of. How are these viable? If they are viable, why is it not viable for Genesis? Do these artists just have bad management and end up broke because of bad decisions? How much market research goes into these things?

I'm loathe to use other bands to compare to, but i'm sure we all follow different artists that at some point or other have released very deep archival material, and bumper versions of albums that have 3 or 4 or 5 discs of rare material. I fully understand the frustration of a hardcore Genesis fan wanting their favorite albums to get the same treatment, as i share some of that frustration. That said, for whatever combination of the above factors, the probability of Genesis releasing more than what we have seems incredibly low. It is what it is, as they say (to my eternal irritation). Which means that as long as there is a forum in which to discuss such things, we will continue having the same conversation and making the same points - which is fine with me. It's not a bad way to spend between now and the heat death of the universe waiting for the impenetrable Genesis vault to open ^^.

• I really think that in spite of what we, as fans, may think are viable products for release that the metric that the band and/or record company follow is significantly different.

There are also VERY different reasons at play for what does and doesn't get released. It is VERY clear that the band really has absolutely no desire to release anything for the sake of completeness. It either meets their definition of quality or it doesn't get released, and with at least three or four members having veto power we've seen a lot of things get the axe or seemingly never be considered.

But the final arbiter really is the record company. They are the ones paying for the work and expect to see a profit on any release, and the budget set might not even quite match the amount of material the band is willing to release. That is exactly the situation with the '07-'09 boxed sets, where the white and black boxes had significantly smaller budgets because the the blue/red/green boxes had underperforming sales.

That's why I'm a little frustrated by some of the comments I've read here about the upcoming BBC box set, how many are going to skip it entirely because it doesn't quite live up to their "throw the archive doors wide open" expectations.

The way I see it is (1) many fans don't have the same exhaustive collection of bootlegs, and that official set is still a significant release, in spite of the number of "would be nice" songs that aren't in it. And (2) EVERY chance of more Genesis releases is based on how well the last Genesis release sold. So every "huge fan" that doesn't buy an official release is directly affecting how large the budget is for the next release, or even deciding if there is a next release.

Now there is a new owner of the publishing rights for the whole catalog they might be more motivated to try more releases to try to make that investment earn them some money, but I'm afraid if the more "fan friendly" releases (of which I'd put the BBC box firmly in) don't do well, we are a lot more likely to see just re-release and re-packaging of the same studio albums over and over again and fewer (if any) odd bits from the archives.

• I really think that in spite of what we, as fans, may think are viable products for release that the metric that the band and/or record company follow is significantly different.

There are also VERY different reasons at play for what does and doesn't get released. It is VERY clear that the band really has absolutely no desire to release anything for the sake of completeness. It either meets their definition of quality or it doesn't get released, and with at least three or four members having veto power we've seen a lot of things get the axe or seemingly never be considered.

Genesis, time and time again, have shown themselves to be disinclined to emptying out the vaults. It's not a mystery, it's something they have a proven track record of. Whether it's disinterest on their part, or perfectionism or whatever doesn't really matter. There are plenty of other artists out there who will release every note they ever played, that's completely irrelevant because Genesis aren't those artists

Absolutely this. Added to which, remember this part of the thread has focused in on the staggeringly doolally notion that Genesis, of all bands, would commercially release rehearsals. REHEARSALS.

Abandon all reason

• Yes, it's not going to happen. I like the fact that Genesis don't throw everything at the wall in the hope of making a few quid they'll never spend. I do think they should release some whole concerts though. They spent a lot of time working out the dynamics of a good setlist and it's a shame we can't enjoy high quality versions of them, the odd mistake adding to the fun. I also think its a poor show for younger fans that the box sets have never been released.

I have a concern that the recent selling of rights might lead to steady release of repackaged existing material with maybe one rare track to snare completists.

There must be a happy medium between what we have and a Jonathon King-like repeated repackaging of the same product.