World Cup 2018

• Curious if England or Belgium fans are into the 3rd place match? Is it a big deal to the fans ? Does it have any significance as far as future rankings or seedings go?

I know here in the US the NCAA Final Four ( College Basketball) used to play a 3rd place game for years but stopped playing it in I believe 1981 and I don't know anyone who misses it.

• Curious if England or Belgium fans are into the 3rd place match? Is it a big deal to the fans ? Does it have any significance as far as future rankings or seedings go?

I know here in the US the NCAA Final Four ( College Basketball) used to play a 3rd place game for years but stopped playing it in I believe 1981 and I don't know anyone who misses it.

I believe is does count in terms of rankings.

Shame they don't get all a Gold, Silver and Bronze trophy at the end of the World Cup final awards.

• I believe is does count in terms of rankings.

Shame they don't get all a Gold, Silver and Bronze trophy at the end of the World Cup final awards.

Yeah that was another thing I was wondering about as well as fans interest in the game. If the players don't get anything to acknowledge their finish, that's kind of lame imo.

I can see this game mattering to fans if there was some type of long standing rivalry between the nations but aside from that is there much interest or importance in this game for the fans?

• Yeah that was another thing I was wondering about as well as fans interest in the game. If the players don't get anything to acknowledge their finish, that's kind of lame imo.

I can see this game mattering to fans if there was some type of long standing rivalry between the nations but aside from that is there much interest or importance in this game for the fans?

I'm sure there's prize money too!.... But as fans at least an award is more appropriate :)

• Yeah that was another thing I was wondering about as well as fans interest in the game. If the players don't get anything to acknowledge their finish, that's kind of lame imo.

No, it's a losers' final. Nobody cares about it and the players hate playing in it. Just listen to Gary Linekar's intonation when he talks about the one he was involved in back in 1990. It might be a consolation for Harry Kane, though, if he can use it to win the 'golden boot' but that's about it. I certainly wouldn't want to miss the rest of that scintillating semi-final at Wimbledon between Nadal and Djokovic. What a gripping day yesterday on centre court was: Anderson winning that epic 6 hr 37 min semi-final against Isner.

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• Here in Germany it does matter, it's not important but it lifts the mood. When Germany lost the semi-final in 2006, they won the 3rd place instead. The game for 3rd place is a lot more relaxed, it is just for fun but at least we had won a game in the end - so much better than losing the final.

• Well that's it then for another 4 years!....^^

France won by a stunning 4 goals against 2 Croatia... Not bad for a final game. Makes France look like a good nation indeed and got it right.

Kane (England) wins the Golden boot award with 6 goals

Oh and in Tennis, Novak Djokovic earned his first Grand Slam title in more than two years by beating Kevin Anderson

• France won by a stunning 4 goals against 2 Croatia... Not bad for a final game. Makes France look like a good nation indeed and got it right.

Well.... a stunning 2 goals plus 2 goals thanks to terrible refereeing decisions!

Congrats France but well done Croatia on reaching their first final. I was rooting for them and felt they got a bit mugged in the first half by those rotten decisions, but you can't argue with the two proper goals France scored in the second half.

Abandon all reason

• Well.... a stunning 2 goals plus 2 goals thanks to terrible refereeing decisions!

Congrats France but well done Croatia on reaching their first final. I was rooting for them and felt they got a bit mugged in the first half by those rotten decisions, but you can't argue with the two proper goals France scored in the second half.

I'm no expert on Soccer but I thought the PK was deserved and the correct call.

The free kick however was a bad decision and sure looked like a dive to me. Even though there was some contact with his leg, the French player was going down before that contact and the contact had nothing to do with causing him to go to the ground. Looked to me like he stumbled on his own and the contact came after. Bad call by the ref IMO.

• Admittedly I'm not an expert either, but as I understand it the handball has to have clear intent. From the replays, that wasn't clear, in my view, nor in the referee's since he didn't give the penalty but it seemed he re-watched the VAR so much he convinced himself it was intended. But yeah you're right about the free kick, definitely an anticipatory dive!

Abandon all reason

• VAR clearly doesn't work as it's being shown in this world cup . Far to many inconsistencies , some decisions go right but the majority don't . Football used to be about having some luck on your side but it was always down to if the officials seen it there and then .

More should be done about the diving imo . Maybe if you go down injured you should be made to leave the field for 5 mins before coming back on . That way the medical team can make sure your fit to carry on and would stop the play acting

• Well.... a stunning 2 goals plus 2 goals thanks to terrible refereeing decisions!

That's how we saw it.

• The thing I don’t understand is why do they get the ref on the pitch to make a decision on VAR ?

Surely if you have about four of them in the VAR studio it would be more accurate if they come to a decision between them rather than making the bloke on the pitch do it on his own when he might of already given a wrong decision to start with.

Plus why have refs in the VAR studio if they are not going to make a call.....it’s nonsense

• The thing I don’t understand is why do they get the ref on the pitch to make a decision on VAR ?

Surely if you have about four of them in the VAR studio it would be more accurate if they come to a decision between them rather than making the bloke on the pitch do it on his own when he might of already given a wrong decision to start with.

Plus why have refs in the VAR studio if they are not going to make a call.....it’s nonsense

Yep.

Abandon all reason

• VAR clearly doesn't work as it's being shown in this world cup . Far to many inconsistencies , some decisions go right but the majority don't . Football used to be about having some luck on your side but it was always down to if the officials seen it there and then .

More should be done about the diving imo . Maybe if you go down injured you should be made to leave the field for 5 mins before coming back on . That way the medical team can make sure your fit to carry on and would stop the play acting

Yep.

Abandon all reason

• That goal-keeping blunder that gave the Croatians a 2nd goal was a nice bit of poetic justice after suffering that dubious penalty decision.

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~