Genesis BBC Recordings Five Cd Box Set out soon!!!!!

• Official Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it's best of but I really hope not. We want the whole damn thing all of it not abbreviated. I'll take multiple releases and get them all if they were an option

Yeah, well, we'd all like the whole shebang, but this is Genesis, and they and/or their management and/or the people who put together their releases don't give a flying flamingo what we'd like.

It's almost certainly not the whole thing - if they include the Lyceum gig 1980 that's two CDs. Invisible Touch tour would be 2CD, so all the rest would have to be squeezed onto CD5? Not likely.

I'd find it so cool if they didn't care at all and went ahead, released a box set, called it "We know what we like (live)" and put out some 4 CDs with live versions of I Know What I Like from every single tour from 1973 to 2022. :)

• Oh how I wish there was a proper recording of the 1982 tour. Alas, it is not to be.

That would be a Holy Grail. Perfect setlist, with them at their absolute live peak. But indeed, not to be - ditto the complete live sets of the other tours as mentioned above. But they could at least give us the 'lost' IT Cage medley.

I'd be happy with:

70s 5-man stuff

Truncated Knebworth

Truncated IT inc Cage

Complete Lyceum 2-disc

Abandon all reason

• One of my favorite youtube bootleggers posted this yesterday.

Genesis: 1980/05/07 - Live in London, UK

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

we've all heard this Lyceum Ballroom boot a million times but listen to the quality, it's A+ and better than any version I've heard. I wonder if this is the same remaster that will be on the BBC box?

• I wonder if this is the same remaster that will be on the BBC box?

You seem quite confident it'll be included!

As I never tire of saying: the 14yo me was at that Lyceum gig. With no idea I was at a gig that'd become legendary in Genesis history.

Abandon all reason

• Maybe it is related to the proposed BBC release BBC4 has two Genesis related programmes in their really good Friday night music evenings. So next week there is Phil Collins at the BBC (9-10pm) followed by the Old Grey Whistle test Genesis special featuring the 1980 Lyceum concert (10-10.40pm).

• That is exciting news about BBC4 next Friday night.

I get so exasperated about endless programmes about Queen and Abba on a Friday night. Admittedly those bands are usually on BBC2 or Ch5.

I will have to record them next Friday because I am attending a Marillion concert down at Hammersmith.

Very excited about 5CD box set. I had forgotten that the 1987 IT concert was live on Radio 1. It would be sensible for the first Genesis box set to be 1970 to 1980, including Knebworth and Lyceum.

Then they could do another one if demand is as massive as I think it will be.

I have been dreaming about this since I was a child when I clutched the Friday Rock Show recording on a C90 tape and it cut off in the middle of 'Follow you Follow me.'

• Interestingly, I just posted elsewhere a comment about whether they can get the audio decent enough from the last tour to ever release and Nick here says, it won't be good enough for release and also mentions that Phil sounded really bad in pre production and he didn't think it would actually happen.

A real shame to see Phil struggling so much the last few years.

• Still have the tapes from that one somewhere..my brother recorded it for me as i was out and about. Can still recall listening back to it the next day and the closing medley!...

The IT tour is not very interesting in terms of sound and setlist.

• Video concerts from 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983 and 1986 plus rehearsals from all years. :) I really don't want anymore hahaha. :) I am even conditionally let go of these videos from 2021-2022, because we already have a lot of video clips from that time on the Internet. And from previous eras we don't have good full videos.