Genesis BBC Recordings Five Cd Box Set out soon!!!!!

• Boy Tony must have something against Abacab and the full version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. They were probably the best songs on that show.

Not sure why Tony is being singled out here. Seems to me that the band doesn't particularly love these tunes as they haven't played the full version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight since 1986 or anything from Abacab since the IT tour. Phil was the one who couldn't get into Abacab when they were rehearsing for 2007 tour. But sure, it's all Tony's fault.

But, I do agree that I wish they were on this release.

• Official Post

Presumably disc 2 track 6 as listed is in fact Motherlode Lyceum 80?

Man, they are really rubbing it in about that Wembley 87 Cage medley not being made available in any official release!

Yes, Motherlode is Lyceum 80, I have changed that

• Not sure why Tony is being singled out here. Seems to me that the band doesn't particularly love these tunes as they haven't played the full version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight since 1986 or anything from Abacab since the IT tour. Phil was the one who couldn't get into Abacab when they were rehearsing for 2007 tour. But sure, it's all Tony's fault.

But, I do agree that I wish they were on this release.

Not that I recall but maybe TB has said in an interview at some point that he dislikes them? If so perhaps pcontos is picking up on that. I'm fairly sure one of them, in my head it's Rutherford (possibly in his book), was a bit dismissive about the full TTT and said something along the lines of it not being one of their best instrumental moments. I disagree and feel it's a shame neither it or the 87 Abacab made it, two really key moments of the show for me.

Abandon all reason

• Agree with the above comments in support of full length TTT. One of the best things they ever did. It's their choice to make of course, and looking at the Knebworth disc there was space so it was definitely a choice.

• didn't the release say that TB was curating this?..so maybe final choice was down to him.

Trying to figure out why recordings of shows split over different discs and not just as full individual shows, and only a few numbers from Knebworth 78

• Trying to figure out why recordings of shows split over different discs and not just as full individual shows, and only a few numbers from Knebworth 78

As it's based on BBC broadcasts, as I recall they transmitted a heavily truncated version of the Knebworth set. So maybe with that one they're going with what they broadcast. With the others they broadcast whole shows so have decided to cherry-pick from them for reasons of space.

Abandon all reason

• Knebworth 78 as broadcast on Radio 1 included Fountain of Salmacis, and The Lady Lies. Maybe others, just going from memory of what's on my tape of it.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

The two sets are now listed on amazonUK, see here.

• Knebworth 78 as broadcast on Radio 1 included Fountain of Salmacis, and The Lady Lies. Maybe others, just going from memory of what's on my tape of it.

The recording from '78 I have has 13 tracks, but it's fairly evident they were trying to avoid duplicate tracks when they're were putting together this collection.

Excluding the contents of the Old Medly, the only duplication I see is Drum Duet/Los Endos from '80 and '87.

• It's also up on the US Amazon site:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS49XTBQ/?tag=shtv-20

For me, looking at the set I see glaring omissions of the following:

Disc 1:

Looking For Someone - This version is way better than the studio version because of the live raw sound without the "choir" effect that was on this track on the Trespass album. It sounds heavier and edgier!

Disc 4:

In The Cage/In That Quiet Earth/Afterglow - This version of the "Cage Medley" has to be one of the best as it includes In That Quiet Earth. I don't think a live version of ITQE has been released officially, so why would you leave it off?! It really makes this medley flow well. We already have a version of the medley on Three Sides Live which is an improvement of the version we get on the box set from the Duke tour. A huge missed opportunity. Thankfully we have some good bootlegs of it!

The artwork - This looks like it was done by an amateur. Why not dig into the archives of Paul Whitehead and use this?!

• I don't understand. Why don't they just make a box set with all the complete recordings of the BBC sessions and concerts? Some tracks might appear more than once, so what?

This. I know a lot of us have full good quality versions of the early BBC Sessions, Wembley 75, Knebworth 78, Lyceum 80 etc etc, but it would have been nice - in my opinion - to have the full concerts officially released. That said, I'll probably end up buying it.

• didn't the release say that TB was curating this?..so maybe final choice was down to him.

Trying to figure out why recordings of shows split over different discs and not just as full individual shows, and only a few numbers from Knebworth 78

Dont forget that these are all live recordings. Some choices may be made for you in that there were mistakes in the songs and therefore they were deemed unsuitable for an official release.

• Official Post

Paul Whitehead wasn't involved before Trespass and after Foxtrot, the majority of the content is from the Collins era. Don't see a point doing it with Whitehead art. Besides, it's live recordings. The artwork is not that bad, it's just that quite often it doesn't fit ...

In the meantime, I have added the press text to the news item:

/ Genesis: BBC boxset to be released soon (genesis-news.com)

• I don't understand. Why don't they just make a box set with all the complete recordings of the BBC sessions and concerts? Some tracks might appear more than once, so what?

I agree, they are a (curated) collection of tracks rather than the whole show. It was the same with the Live Over Europe 2007 album, different tracks from different cities, not very cohesive.

• The artwork - This looks like it was done by an amateur. Why not dig into the archives of Paul Whitehead and use this?!

Cost would be one contributing facor, I imagine Whitehead would want a pretty heavy price. Looking at what they're going with it seems a big artwork budget wasn't a conideration, it looks like something someone's knocked up in their tea break. The PG photo on the cover of CD1 isn't even from the same period as the recordings, very sloppy.

Several members of the band have also made disparaging remarks about Whitehead's artwork in the past,, Foxtrot in particular which nobody seemed to like. I always felt they fitted the three albums perfectly, even if he did steal the vast majority of the Trespass artwork uncredited from another artist and then repeated the felony by stealing the cover of the first High Tide album from the same artist.

• This set probably represents the band's answer to the fans asking for those soundboard recordings from their past tours. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last release the band ever does of previously unreleased material. We should all know by now the band were never completists in the fact that they don't believe in releasing full shows with the exception of the Lamb, even with it's riddled overdub vocals. I guess the good news about this release it won't replace our bootleg recordings. ;)