Genesis BBC Recordings Five Cd Box Set out soon!!!!!

• Knebworth 78 as broadcast on Radio 1 included Fountain of Salmacis, and The Lady Lies. Maybe others, just going from memory of what's on my tape of it.

Yes on reflection, and having not really properly looked at the selection here, it's obviously a very small cut. As well as those you mention I'm sure Motherload featured, Ripples, Volcano etc and Vine.

Disc 4:

In The Cage/In That Quiet Earth/Afterglow - This version of the "Cage Medley" has to be one of the best as it includes In That Quiet Earth. I don't think a live version of ITQE has been released officially, so why would you leave it off?!

I'd love it to be on but as they are using the BBC tx I'd imagine Banks vetoed it on the basis Stuermer has a tech problem at the start of Cage. There's none of the 4-note lines preceding "Rock face..." except the final one. It's a stark, glaring glitch.

That medley is doomed to be not included in official releases.

Abandon all reason

• Will the full CD be available to download do you think?

I barely use Cds anymore as all my music on on my phone

Good question. Will it be on streaming services? 99% of my consumption is also on my phone these days but I will always get the physical copy when a favorite band has a release (and hopefully support them more in the process). In the last ten years that's mostly been vinyl, but here it'll surely be the cd set. I actually just got a separate cd/dvd drive as I had lost all ability to play disks for a while. I guess I'll use that and hook it up to an amp.

Btw awful shame about Looking for Someone as another poster pointed out above. Love that tune.

• Official Post

Im Germany, it's 55€ (CD-Set) and 59€ (Vinyl)

• In France, both are out of stock on Amazon, but 31€/54€ on Fnac.com

https://www.fnac.com/a17513750…oadcasts-Coffret-CD-album

The CD box is really cheap there. I’ve preordered it (even though I don’t use CDs anymore, I’ll probably rip them on my computer, sync the files on the cloud and never use them again).

• In France, both are out of stock on Amazon, but 31€/54€ on Fnac.com

https://www.fnac.com/a17513750…oadcasts-Coffret-CD-album

The CD box is really cheap there. I’ve preordered it (even though I don’t use CDs anymore, I’ll probably rip them on my computer, sync the files on the cloud and never use them again).

It seems that as with the Amazon £35 vinyl, the French CD deal has been removed. I wonder if (both) orders already placed will be honoured. Amazon certainly has (inconsistent) history of not doing so.

• Pre-ordered it on vinyl and CD but I'm disappointed that it has turned out to be "Lyceum plus bits and bobs". I would have preferred complete shows. However it will be a treat to hear some added polish being brought to these gigs, and hopefully they will look at doing complete releases as I am sure the interest will be there.

• The band overlook Abacab because it isn't very good and is a low point in their output.

Despite it being the album which essentially led them to continue? Together with the departure of Ant Phillips, Abacab was possibly the most important aspect of their career in terms of the threat to their longevity.

• Despite it being the album which essentially led them to continue? Together with the departure of Ant Phillips, Abacab was possibly the most important aspect of their career in terms of the threat to their longevity.

I don't disagree but as somebody who had been a fan for several years, the change of direction was quite a shock. I always attribute this to the increased influence of Phil, whose writing seemed to be going in a different direction more towards the shorter popier songs. The band clearly enjoyed the extra sales and exposure this change of direction gave them. I agree it's quite possible without this they would have split. I heard Abacab but didn't like it and so Duke was the last studio album I bought. I have continued to enjoy them live and continue to buy their live output.

• I don't disagree but as somebody who had been a fan for several years, the change of direction was quite a shock. I always attribute this to the increased influence of Phil, whose writing seemed to be going in a different direction more towards the shorter popier songs. The band clearly enjoyed the extra sales and exposure this change of direction gave them. I agree it's quite possible without this they would have split. I heard Abacab but didn't like it and so Duke was the last studio album I bought. I have continued to enjoy them live and continue to buy their live output.

Definitely not Collins's "fault":

Banks in November 1980:

"The idea on the next album is definitely to be slightly more ambitious than on the last two, just in purely musical terms. We'd like to try and have some rather longer pieces, and perhaps some shorter stuff as well. Certainly things that are a little more experimental."

Rutherford in the same interview:

"We've discussed the possibility of doing a double. Just an idea. I'd love to do it."

And Rutherford again, after the album was released:

"Most of the stuff that didn't go on [the double album] was stuff that was most like Genesis. Most [were] tracks I could say, "That's a bit like an old song," and that's a worrisome thing for a band...

"Had Abacab died a death commercially I wouldn't have blinked an eyelid, because Genesis at the moment is so strong. Stronger than we've been for a long time."

• the change of direction was quite a shock. I always attribute this to the increased influence of Phil, whose writing seemed to be going in a different direction more towards the shorter popier songs. The band clearly enjoyed the extra sales and exposure this change of direction gave them

I'm always baffled that there are still Genesis fans who actually say this. There were two other people in the band, neither of them pushovers. When commenting on this notion he was responsible for changes in direction and supposedly "going pop" Collins once said "Try making Tony Banks do something he disagrees with. It just doesn't happen." Do you think he was wrong or making that up?

If you hate Abacab that's fair enough but you're wrong to define it as a "low point in their career". I think they would definitely have hit a career low if they hadn't dumped the stuff they first came up with.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I don't understand. Why don't they just make a box set with all the complete recordings of the BBC sessions and concerts? Some tracks might appear more than once, so what?

While that would certainly make it more enticing for me, I imagine it comes down to marketability.

Right now you have a 5-disc set selling for $85.

I don't think that's too exorbitant, even for a casual or less passionate fan.

But put together a complete set of BBC recordings ... how many discs would that be? Ten or 12, selling for in excess of $200?

At that price, you're selling exclusively to the fanatics - and even some of them may start to question whether they want to spend that amount on recordings that they probably already have in one form or another.

• I'm always baffled that there are still Genesis fans who actually say this. There were two other people in the band, neither of them pushovers. When commenting on this notion he was responsible for changes in direction and supposedly "going pop" Collins once said "Try making Tony Banks do something he disagrees with. It just doesn't happen." Do you think he was wrong or making that up?

If you hate Abacab that's fair enough but you're wrong to define it as a "low point in their career". I think they would definitely have hit a career low if they hadn't dumped the stuff they first came up with.

Agreed. I much prefer the four and five man eras but I think both Duke and Abacab are superb albums. Abacab sounds like Genesis and doesn’t really sound like anyone else, yet it is so fresh and such a progression from what came before. A little bit of filler- LION and MOTC. But the rest stands up to anything- even another record is lifted by that little drum lick and the ‘harmonica’. It laid the foundation for what came after, which is often less to my taste but meant the band could survive and prosper.

• We are of course all a little sad not to have the complete recording and remixed at Wembley 75, Knebworth 78 or Birmingham 98. Also, we could have done without the Old Medley from 92.

Nevertheless, Genesis is not the only band to use the fragmentation of its archives for obvious commercial purposes. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin work in the same way among other examples.

• Abacab was the highlight for me when I was beginning to love Genesis. It remains my favourite album to this day and most of my best moments are tucked well out of sight. 'Like it or not', 'Me and Sarah Jane'. The BBC did not do an 'in concert' broadcast around that tour or the subsequent one either. By the time we got to Wembley 1987 only the title song was played.