Genesis BBC Recordings Five Cd Box Set out soon!!!!!

• Not that I recall but maybe TB has said in an interview at some point that he dislikes them? If so perhaps pcontos is picking up on that. I'm fairly sure one of them, in my head it's Rutherford (possibly in his book), was a bit dismissive about the full TTT and said something along the lines of it not being one of their best instrumental moments. I disagree and feel it's a shame neither it or the 87 Abacab made it, two really key moments of the show for me.

I just feel that since 1987, they went off Abacab and the full version of Tonight, Tonight, Tonight and they love Home By the Sea and Domino. I don’t know who doesn’t like what but they have omitted these from the last three tours with Phil. Abacab was rehearsed the last two tours and dropped. Mike said in an interview that was just released on the 1992 Houston rehearsals that they put Abacab to rest for the 1992 tour. That was understandable at the time but I was very surprised it didn’t make a return in 2007 and 2021 since it is one of their most popular rock tracks. Mike has said that he didn’t think TTT was one of their best instrumentals but I think them dropping it in 1992 going forward had more to do with how difficult it was for Phil to sing on the 1987 tour. They had to drop it from several shows in 1987 and had to drop the key so much in 1992 that Tony’s marimba sound or whatever it was called had to be completely changed since it didn’t sound right in the lower key. I think Tony liked the full version since he complimented it when being interviewed at the farm by Nick Davis in 2003 when the Wembley DVD was first released. I wonder if they excluded these two songs from this set since they were released as b-sides on Tell Me Why and Invisible Touch live cd singles.

• Several members of the band have also made disparaging remarks about Whitehead's artwork in the past,, Foxtrot in particular which nobody seemed to like.

I never knew that but can understand it. I'm not keen on them. Trespass is good, and of the post-PW ones I only like Lamb and Abacab but SEBTP is nice. Anyway, there's an album covers thread for this.

I used to be fascinated by album artwork but long since stopped caring much. In buying a cd boxset like this my main concern is whether it 'works' well in terms of opening it and being able to get the discs out easily. Which sounds daft but some packages seem to have been designed by people who haven't actually considered it.

Abandon all reason

• I never knew that but can understand it. I'm not keen on them. Trespass is good, and of the post-PW ones I only like Lamb and Abacab but SEBTP is nice. Anyway, there's an album covers thread for this.

I used to be fascinated by album artwork but long since stopped caring much. In buying a cd boxset like this my main concern is whether it 'works' well in terms of opening it and being able to get the discs out easily. Which sounds daft but some packages seem to have been designed by people who haven't actually considered it.

Interesting. I bought my first Genesis record in 1980, so I didn't experience NC and Foxtrot as they came out. So I don't know what kind of impact the artwork had on fans whey they came out.

But I've never been a fan of that style. It suggests something slightly amateurish and messy to me, and I much prefer everything that came after until Abacab.

But that's just me. I appreciate they are very popular.

• I've never seen Whitehead's work as particularly appealing, the ideas are good, but the execution is, indeed, a bit amateurish. (Better than I could do, but I'm not even an amateur!). I guess I'm spoilt though, having had Phil Travers covers for the Moody Blues and solo albums as a reference point.

I do remember seeing a massive poster of SEBTP in the window of the "Migrant Mouse" record shop in Lower Bridge Street, Chester, back in the day. The shop window was at 45 degrees to the street, as it was on the corner of a side street, so you couldn't miss it, and I remember being quite struck by this one as very impressive. The Lamb cover is good also, but of course, Colin Elgie's cover for Trick is one of the best ever. He also did the cover of Justin Hayward's solo album the following year, using a similar concept (every song illustrated) but a different style (more "Norman Rockwell"!)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Did anyone else get the notification this morning that the release dates been pushed back to 7th March in UK?

I didn't read it as the release being delayed; only when they expect to deliver it. A common Amazon approach. Presumably automated, as it's often corrected when despatch actually takes place.

• I've never seen Whitehead's work as particularly appealing, the ideas are good, but the execution is, indeed, a bit amateurish. (Better than I could do, but I'm not even an amateur!). I guess I'm spoilt though, having had Phil Travers covers for the Moody Blues and solo albums as a reference point.

Some of his work can definitely look a bit amateurish, some of the perspective is, to say the least, a bit wonky, but some is quite well executed.

I love the Trespass cover but could never understand how some of it was brilliantly done - namely the pen and ink work - while the rest was nothing like the same standard. When I found out why that was and where the pen and ink work had come from it made sense.

Nursery Cryme is fantastic though, it really captures the whole mood and feel of the music but Foxtrot suffers from too many ideas that don't really come together as a whole, the theme is sound but he should have simplified it considerably, there's just too much going on.

I think he did some of his best work was for Van der Graaf and Peter Hammill, Pawn Hearts in particular, which is fantastic.

• Hmmm…they’re selling shirts for this upcoming boxset.

https://shop.genesis-music.com/

I find that a bit odd. I think I won’t be getting any.

They also redesigned the appearance of the old official site with the theme of the new boxset. I guess that’s ok. I wonder if that will be done with each subsequent release.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• Official Post

Why does Amazon have the wrong dates against songs.

Mama and Domino 1980 for example

they are not that accurate. Happens quite often apparently

• My initial reaction the whole thing is a little disappointed .Brief snippets, bits and pieces. The few Peel session songs are interesting but I was really hoping for the complete Knebworth '78 show as well as the complete lyceum show. I didn't know that the BBC broadcast any of the'98 shows and more of that would've been good. There's loads 87 stuff which I have and I doubt the 92 Knebworth stuff would much different from TWWW CDs. The completest in me says "get it"but I can get a fair bit of that stuff elsewhere.

• My initial reaction the whole thing is a little disappointed .Brief snippets, bits and pieces. The few Peel session songs are interesting but I was really hoping for the complete Knebworth '78 show as well as the complete lyceum show. I didn't know that the BBC broadcast any of the'98 shows and more of that would've been good. There's loads 87 stuff which I have and I doubt the 92 Knebworth stuff would much different from TWWW CDs. The completest in me says "get it"but I can get a fair bit of that stuff elsewhere.

Am reposting this on a more appropriate thread in the genesis music board.