• Official Post

Looks like we don't have a QUEEN thread ...

A new track surfaced yesterday - from "The Miracle" sessions

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I realize many will disagree vehemently with me (including my girlfriend, who adores Queen), but I was never a huge fan of the multi-track vocals used by Queen. Just a matter of personal taste. For what it’s worth I had the same issue with music of The Carpenters. In short, with Queen I love the music. The vocals—not so much.

• Where to start? I loved them. Unlike Genesis, I did get to see them, on The Works tour. (I also went to see them with Adam Lambert). I was 15 when I first heard Bohemian Rhapsody. It's one of those life changing songs, which you never forget, and the album was astounding. They were capable of so many different styles of music and Freddie Mercury was one of the great singers. Yet I don't own their entire catalogue; I never felt the need.

• Where to start? I loved them. Unlike Genesis, I did get to see them, on The Works tour. (I also went to see them with Adam Lambert). I was 15 when I first heard Bohemian Rhapsody. It's one of those life changing songs, which you never forget, and the album was astounding. They were capable of so many different styles of music and Freddie Mercury was one of the great singers. Yet I don't own their entire catalogue; I never felt the need.

In regards to collecting music, the last couple of years from 2018 onwards. You can buy most of the bands hits mostly titled Essential or just Greatest Hits. There used to be a Gold series of music available .

Most of the series ranges from 2 to 5 cd's. This is by far cheaper than buying the whole catalogue of their music. Plus nowadays, the tracks are remastered and most of these tracks on the original albums can fit this collection.

The only downside to this, are the tracks not chronically ordered the same as the original albums, so most of the tracks are scattered. But generally all tracks are covered.;)

I would rather buy one album that covers the lot!....😂

Edited 3 times, last by Noni ().

• I have Greatest Hits i & II, Opera, Races, Works, Innuendo. What I meant was I've never really felt that I needed to go & buy their other studio albums.

• Can't say I'm a massive fan but they were an ever present part of my childhood background music. I do enjoy a lot of their tracks from the greatest hits albums, particularly 2 (sorry mega fans!) and wouldn't rule out exploring further if I ever have time and motivation enough. I liked the slightly more off kilter stuff like miracle and innuendo.

• Saw Queen in concert 1984 in Hanover.

Worst concert I've ever been too. Waiting 3 hours to get in.

Freddie Mercury must of been unwell, as his singing was dreadful. The whole venue was extremely packed out and most of the time I was pushed around like crazy. My stance at 5.7" made it harder to watch the stage. We were like sardines crammed into a huge hall what seemed like a billion people.

I managed to squeeze my way through the crowds which seemed like a long time to one of the nearest exit doors. Managed to find a bar and drank beers, while my friends looked on. They were 6ft tall and able to see more of the concert than me. One of my friends joked and said you can sit on my shoulders.^^ My love for Queen at the time was not enough to torture myself over.

Must admit, the band musically played very well indeed!...:):thumbup: Unfortunately Freddie did not turn up on the night.:(

• Official Post

Never saw them live with Freddie, I am too young for that, but I got interested in their music around the time when Freddie died.

Innuendo is one of my favorite albums, not only from Queen, it's just an outstanding piece of music.

I do not have all of their albums, but there are some real masterpieces and they deserve credit for being one od the best rock band of all time.

Freddie's voice is outstanding. I know there were shows where he didn't match expectations, others were really pleased. And then he did this thing with Montserrat Caballe ....

• I can understand why they didn't release this at the time, or include it on the album. I was a massive fan in the early days, their best albums, IMO, are, in order, Queen 2, head and shoulders above the others, then Queen, Night at the Opera, Sheer Heart Attack, Day at the Races, then they released their "Shapes", News of the World, and apart from Greatest Hits 2, I never went back.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I was a big fan in the early days, when Seven Seas Of Rhye came out, which I duly bought. Loved the layered guitar and vocals myself. For me, their first six albums are head and shoulders above anything else they released after that, though Innuendo is the best of the rest. Their early albums are very experimental and almost progressive at times. They were very influenced by Led Zep in the early days. Interestingly enough, both the first Queen album and the first Rush album were considered very Zep- like by critics, even though Queen and Rush don't sound anything alike. I felt they started to lose their way from the Jazz album onwards and by the time they were releasing stuff like 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' I'd lost most of my interest in them. Funny thing about Queen, I've known many people over the years who call themselves Queen fans, yet when I've asked them what albums they have, they almost always say one of the Greatest Hits albums. When I ask these supposed 'fans' what they think of Sheer Heart Attack or Queen 2, they look at me blankly. For me, their best songs are more often album tracks, not single releases. In my top five seventies bands though, behind Genesis, Yes, 10CC and Pink Floyd.

• I can understand why they didn't release this at the time, or include it on the album. I was a massive fan in the early days, their best albums, IMO, are, in order, Queen 2, head and shoulders above the others, then Queen, Night at the Opera, Sheer Heart Attack, Day at the Races, then they released their "Shapes", News of the World, and apart from Greatest Hits 2, I never went back.

News Of The World, which I forgot to mention in my previous post, is a great album. As it's their answer to punk I would say it's more similar to Abacab than Shapes.

• News Of The World, which I forgot to mention in my previous post, is a great album. As it's their answer to punk I would say it's more similar to Abacab than Shapes.

Well, personally, I think it's very poor, but my reference to "Shapes" refers to the fact it was the album that made me stop buying their albums, though in Queen's defence, at least the singles made it obvious the album was going to be a let-down, so I didn't buy it. I bought the 7" single of Mama, and liked the b-side. Then I got the album and found they were the only 2 good tracks on it. The irony of "It's Gonna Get Better" is that, chronologically, Invisible Touch was next, so it wasn't. ^^

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Coming off the NOTW discussion, the video for Champions was filmed at the New London Theatre (where Cats eventually had a residency - the musical, not actual felines). For the fans who participated the band then did a short live show, finishing with See What A Fool I've Been, my favourite Queen track, the last time they ever performed it.

Having looked the album up, FeelItComing I now better understand the "answer to punk" comment in that the album seemed to consciously avoid the lusher sound of the previous two albums. Although May is quoted as saying at the time that following Races they'd already decided to do a more "back to basics" album next, rather than specifically wanting to respond to the punk movement.

For different reasons to foxfeeder NOTW marked the end of my interest in Queen too. I liked them until then and quite liked the NOTW singles but for no specific reason I stopped listening then lost track of their albums, only ever hearing whatever were the current singles. My interest in other bands, Genesis in particular, was rapidly growing as was my enjoyment of punk and new wave. So I think quite simply Queen were edged out rather than my actually going off them. I then never recovered the same interest in them I'd had during the first 5 albums. I should re-listen to those, I always liked Sheer Heart Attack and still think Now I'm Here is a terrific song.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I think the reason some of us haven't strayed much further than the greatest hits compilations is that Queen were more of a 'singles' band with their constant stream of power ballads (others in this category for me would include The Beatles, ABBA, Slade, 10cc) rather than an 'album' band like Genesis, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Yes, Hawkwind etc.

• I've known many people over the years who call themselves Queen fans, yet when I've asked them what albums they have, they almost always say one of the Greatest Hits albums. When I ask these supposed 'fans' what they think of Sheer Heart Attack or Queen 2, they look at me blankly. For me, their best songs are more often album tracks, not single releases.

Don't be too dismissive of the Greatest Hits people. If they enjoy those compilations they're one type of fan, but they are fans. You're a different type of fan, you just happen to be one who likes the album tracks more than singles and lost interest along the way. If someone who owned and loved all the albums and were dismissive of you as a supposed fan because you're not a completist and lost interest, they'd be wrong.

Abandon all reason