GENESIS cover feature in new PROG magazine issue

• Official Post

There is a GENESIS cover feature in the upcoming edition of PROG (available later this week)

• Hackett always gets edged out! Okay, I know he only appeared at the end but all the same, someone throw the man at least a rubber bone.

I noticed that as well.:/

Seems strange as he's been more involved playing Genesis music live than most of the others put together.

• Official Post

The "Six Of The Best" idea initially didn't involve him. His part is reflected inside the magazine, though.

• Oops.

Looking forward to the postcards as I am an avid postcard collector and Prog has now provided me with Rush, Porcupine Tree & King Crimson cards. I will take special care of these ones.

• I was 12 when PG left and I didn't know anything of Genesis for another two years.

In '82 I was 20. PG had been out of the band for a mere 8 years , they had been a trio for 4. It's hard to think now but at that time 8 years seemed a lifetime. Compared to now 8 years seems like 8 weeks.

• I was 12 when PG left and I didn't know anything of Genesis for another two years.

In '82 I was 20. PG had been out of the band for a mere 8 years , they had been a trio for 4. It's hard to think now but at that time 8 years seemed a lifetime. Compared to now 8 years seems like 8 weeks.

This reminds me of a comment by a grumpy old prog-head bloke I know who's always banging on about how Genesis went rubbish after PG&SH left, who (like me) went to a 1982 show on that tour. He took issue with PC introducing Supper's Ready as "a really... really... REALLY old song." The bloke complained that it was only 10 years previously and Collins's description was somehow derisive. Yes, some people will find any minor thing to bellyache about.

My point to him was on the same lines as your comment above, ie so much had happened in that 10 years. Two key members had left, new touring members added, 7 album releases, a marked change in style and their first major singles successes. The band's personal circumstances had changed significantly - marriages, becoming parents, getting divorced. The two departed members had gone on to have notable solo careers. Yes, it was "only" 10 years but with all that happening it must have felt like a whole lifetime ago.

Abandon all reason

• This reminds me of a comment by a grumpy old prog-head bloke I know who's always banging on about how Genesis went rubbish after PG&SH left, who (like me) went to a 1982 show on that tour. He took issue with PC introducing Supper's Ready as "a really... really... REALLY old song." The bloke complained that it was only 10 years previously and Collins's description was somehow derisive. Yes, some people will find any minor thing to bellyache about.

My point to him was on the same lines as your comment above, ie so much had happened in that 10 years. Two key members had left, new touring members added, 7 album releases, a marked change in style and their first major singles successes. The band's personal circumstances had changed significantly - marriages, becoming parents, getting divorced. The two departed members had gone on to have notable solo careers. Yes, it was "only" 10 years but with all that happening it must have felt like a whole lifetime ago.

They played what was in my opinion the best Collins-era rendition of Supper's Ready on that tour and the guy complained about the intro? Man, he was grumpy.

• Hackett always gets edged out! Okay, I know he only appeared at the end but all the same, someone throw the man at least a rubber bone.

He didn't leave on particularly good terms (Phil feeling personally snubbed by the way he quit), then he went on to say bad things about the band to the press and instigate legal proceedings against them... It's not surprising they were a little cool towards him just four years later in 1982 (and beyond!)

• He didn't leave on particularly good terms (Phil feeling personally snubbed by the way he quit), then he went on to say bad things about the band to the press and instigate legal proceedings against them... It's not surprising they were a little cool towards him just four years later in 1982 (and beyond!)

I wasn't aware Steve instigated legal proceedings against Genesis? Could you say a bit more or point us to the info please? Thanks

• He didn't leave on particularly good terms (Phil feeling personally snubbed by the way he quit), then he went on to say bad things about the band to the press and instigate legal proceedings against them... It's not surprising they were a little cool towards him just four years later in 1982 (and beyond!)

I was specifically referring to that magazine cover in my lighthearted comment.

Can you point us to a source for Collins feeling personally snubbed by the manner of Hackett's departure? Every interview I've seen, PC recounts how he didn't really feel anything and pretty much just said "oh, ok" when hearing the news.

Abandon all reason

• I was specifically referring to that magazine cover in my lighthearted comment.

Can you point us to a source for Collins feeling personally snubbed by the manner of Hackett's departure? Every interview I've seen, PC recounts how he didn't really feel anything and pretty much just said "oh, ok" when hearing the news.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

PHIL: ...I stopped, wound down the window and said, 'Get in.' He said no, that was OK, he'd speak to me or call me later. I thought, 'Fine, maybe he has something to do before he goes to the studio.' I got to Trident, parked, went in and told the others I had just seen Steve. Mike and Tony said, 'Oh, haven't you heard, he didn't tell you? He's left.' I know that Steve has his own take and his own feeling about what happened that day and I realise now I may have underestimated him a little.

STEVE: ...So I phoned Mike and said, 'I think I should leave', and he didn't try and talk me out of it. He knew I wasn't happy by then. 'Fine Steve, if that's what you want to do.' And then I bumped into Phil in the street either the same day or the following day. He asked, 'Aren't you going to the studio?' and I said, 'No, I'm not, I'm... Speak to Mike, he'll explain.' I just couldn't bring myself to say the words, couldn't face talking to Phil about it. And I know that he feels slighted by the fact I wasn't able to, but I thought that if I did speak to him, he might just talk me out of it and convince me to stay. If he and I had had a conversation and I'd gone through the reasons why I felt the need to leave, perhaps I would have gained an ally. Instead of which my mind was made up, I wanted to leave. It was very much Hello, I Must Be Going! And it's not that I didn't love Phil and not that I didn't respect him - and maybe for all the wrong reasons he'll have felt snubbed for the past thirty years - but the fact is I felt I couldn't say anything within a band concept any more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

[Genesis - Chapter & Verse, 2007, p.186)

• But that's PC not saying anything about feeling snubbed, and SH speculatively saying maybe PC felt snubbed.

Abandon all reason

• But that's PC not saying anything about feeling snubbed, and SH speculatively saying maybe PC felt snubbed.

That's why I kept the Phil part, because I think it's there between the lines... but I appreciate other fans might read / interpret it differently. To me it's clear Phil feels a little humiliated when Tony and Mike are, "Oh didn't he tell you..." It's that feeling of being the last to know. The feeling of 'he didn't bother to tell me'. I feel this is underlined by Phil closing with: "I know that Steve has his own take... I may have underestimated him."

i.e. he was feeling pretty bad about Steve but he might have got that wrong...

Steve says it pretty clearly with, "And I know that he feels slighted"... which although you're right it is second-hand Steve commenting on Phil's reaction, it is definitive, "I know", rather than being speculative.

Further evidence of the lingering unresolved tensions between them in the next post in response to Thelawnmower

• Cheers. Any more on the legal action Steve is supposed to have taken?

I've often wondered the detail of it... maybe an enlightened fan can give us more.

This is from 1981 (n.b just one year before Six of the Best reunion) interview with Phil and DJ Ray White from Radio Station WLIR. Phil is acknowledges the tensions but at the same time is brilliant diplomatic and understanding of them...

------------------------------------------------------

[13:40]

DJ RAY WHITE: Do you run into Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett and the other people?

PHIL : I run into Peter and I run over Steve! [Laughs] No I don’t mean that, or do I?..

[14:46]

PHIL: …Steve, you see, the only time I've ever seen Steve since he left the band, I saw him

once in New York when Brand X played at The Bottom Line, and I saw him more recently in Los Angeles when his band played the Roxy when I was on holiday, and I didn't actually get to meet him at that point, because, you know, the place was a zoo with Genesis fans and I didn't really want to sort of get you know trampled to death and so I said let's, I sent a message why don’t you meet me up in On The Rocks which is a bar above the club, and his manager wouldn't let him come, which is a bit odd… I mean there's some strange things going on between Steve and the band I mean you know, there’s some legal stuff like writs and all that kind of stuff and I don't know where I stand with him, he said a lot of silly things that I don't agree with, and it's very easy you know what it’s like when you've been with someone for a long time, been in a band for a long time, and you suddenly get out of the band, all those frustrations that you felt over the years you suddenly let them out all in one go you know it's and an awful lot of bad feeling goes down, and we were very careful with Peter that, you know, it didn't happen, you know, but I mean to an extent it did with him too. I mean I read some quotes the other day that I said a few years ago and I.. I don't believe I even said them, and I did, I remember saying them, but I can't believe that I said it you know. I mean I said there's one quote that I said, well I don't, I know it’s the wrong thing to say, but I don't really, I hope Peter isn't successful! You know, and I can't believe I was stupid enough to say that because you know but it was just at the time you go through that, it's like a release, and I definitely don't mean that I mean I love the bloke.

------------------------------------------------------

source:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(Also includes Abacab to be a double-album with all songs written by the band... and that Phil has very good quality recording of very interesting jams that they're thinking of releasing!! 11:40)

• Did you type All of that out?

Is there an online version of the book somewhere ?

• Did you type All of that out?

Is there an online version of the book somewhere ?

I typed the quote from Chapter & Verse... typos are mine!

Most YouTube videos these days have an automatically generated "closed captions" subtitle... For the Phil interview, on the video page you can click on the three dots next to 'Save' and click, 'Open Transcript'... It's not perfect, but was a good base to copy and paste into a text editor, and play the video through a few times to edit it into the above. It's tricky, right, because of course people don't generally talk in complete sentences, you know, they tend to have these verbal tics and run-on sentences, you know, and keep saying, you know, filler words like, 'you know' and 'right' etc. and I'm always wary of editing them out. Fortunately I can type quite fast! I do keep wanting to go back and my post and insert commas for clarity though, you know, right... ;)