STEVE HACKETT's "Genesis Revisited II" was released 10 years ago

• Official Post

That's also ten years ago today - Steve released his double album Genesis Revisited II, which featured many guest musicians, such as Simon Collins, Nad Sylvan, Steven Wilson, Nik Kershaw and others.

Our review: https://www.genesis-news.com/c…d-II-2CD-review-s499.html

What do you think about thus album, ten years later?

• I had hoped it was going to be like GR1, brave rearrangements, but as it turned out, it was simply carbon copies, and thus very disappointing. It also (coincidentally?) marked the end of his solo career's high standard. I see in the review Nik Kershaw gets high praise. I like Nik, saw him live at Manchester Apollo late 1984, but IMO his vocal on The Lamia is dreadful, far too nasally, like he was singing while he had a cold.

An album the world would likely have been better off without.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Some nice stuff on there but not an album I’d return to much. I suppose it may have been intended to give some credibility to the Genesis-heavy tours that followed but I don’t think it was needed. The tours are a perfectly reasonable thing to do anyway. But some good fun and interesting versions along the way

• Official Post

I had hoped it was going to be like GR1, brave rearrangements, but as it turned out, it was simply carbon copies, and thus very disappointing. It also (coincidentally?) marked the end of his solo career's high standard. I see in the review Nik Kershaw gets high praise. I like Nik, saw him live at Manchester Apollo late 1984, but IMO his vocal on The Lamia is dreadful, far too nasally, like he was singing while he had a cold.

An album the world would likely have been better off without.

opinions, opinions ...

I still rate Nik's contribution high, especially the live appearance a couple of months later.

I agree with your comparison to GR1, I was also hoping for new arrangements (I love Firth Of Fifth on GR1) - but obviously that never happened ....

• All I'll say is that it's the only Steve Hackett studio album I don't have -- or, more precisely, no longer have.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Listened to it but never bought it (sorry Steve). Nad's voice has settled into the material over the last few years, although I wish Steve had the confidence to step back from the centre spot and let him take centre stage. Gary O'Toole had a nice voice, sorry he's left.

• I agree that Steve missed a chance here. But probably a double album wasn't the best idea, especially when you have deadlines etc. I would have loved to hear completely different versions of some tracks. Also, not sure why he included solo stuff.

Haven't listened to this album for quite a while ...