9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (1) 5%
    13. 03 points - poor + (1) 5%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

BANKSTATEMENT - The Border
    Year: 1989
    Album: Bankstatement
    Working title: unknown
    Credits: Banks
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 5:52
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Alistair Gordon, Steve Hillage, Dick Nolan, Geoff Dugmore
    Played Live: never
    Cover versions: unknown

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: This is a more than 30-year-old track from Tony Banks' short-lived band project Bankstatement. In our review linked above, the following is found about the song The Border: If there are any hints of prog-rock to be found anywhere on this pop album after all, it's most likely in this massive track, which opened the second side of the LP or MC at the time. As such, it made a lot of sense. Synthesiser arpeggios and massive piano-bass tones and Alistair Gordon's voice set a dramatic tone right at the beginning, before another one of those soundwalls we also know from Genesis bursts upon us. There is much more variety here, even if the pattern is actually only played through several times, it has many changes in rhythm and dynamics. You don't get bored so quickly here. What is noticeable, however, are the vocal limitations of Gordon, who can indeed put feeling into his performance, but then has little possibilities for improvement or nuance. No matter - for me the top track of the album, which is actually close to the Genesis-typical pop rock prog of the 80s and 90s. And finally no fade-out!

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I recall being very dismissive of the album when I first heard it, except for this one song which leaped out and hooked me right away.

Over the years, I've warmed up to Bankstatement so that has changed - but one thing that hasn't is my fondness for "The Border" which is, by far, my favourite track on the album.

• Confession - this is the first time I've heard it. I never bought the album because I was put off by the CD single of I'll Be Waiting, which to my ears was terrible, so I ruled out exploring Bankstatement further. However this is a pretty good track. It's got power and depth, and it's not drowning in 80s synth sounds.

I like it. Thank you for posting.

• I remember buying A Curious Feeling on release and being disappointed and then his next solo album was the last. First time I've heard The Border, it's not great, it's not terrible, it's worse - it's mediocre, and wouldn't have been released without his illustrious pedigree.

• I have no clue what the lyrics of The Border is supposed to be dealing with - any help?

I have no clue either. I'm sure I could think of other Banks songs where this is the case though.

I never bought the album because I was put off by the CD single of I'll Be Waiting

I bought the CD when it was new and got rid of it after one listen (which, in retrospect, was unwise of me). Mainly, I thought that songs like "I'll Be Waiting" and "The More I Hide It" were real downers.

I did eventually get the CD again, and have had it ever since. This was a case where I just needed to give something more than one listen.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Lots of dismissive comments here, I seem to be the only one who loves this album. I'll Be Waiting and The More I Hide It were the soundtrack (along with Mad Man Moon) for my first heartache when I was 14 years old. Great songs.

• Lots of dismissive comments here, I seem to be the only one who loves this album. I'll Be Waiting and The More I Hide It were the soundtrack (along with Mad Man Moon) for my first heartache when I was 14 years old. Great songs.

I like the album as well. I was young at the time and curious about Tony's solo stuff. Lots of great songs on the album. No doubt "The Border" is one of the best, but I don't think the ballads are that bad.

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• I have no clue either. I'm sure I could think of other Banks songs where this is the case though.

I bought the CD when it was new and got rid of it after one listen (which, in retrospect, was unwise of me). Mainly, I thought that songs like "I'll Be Waiting" and "The More I Hide It" were real downers.

I did eventually get the CD again, and have had it ever since. This was a case where I just needed to give something more than one listen.

My experience with Tony's solo albums is that I generally found them to be a bit of a letdown. However, there have always been one or two pearls per album that I really enjoyed. Songs like This is Love, The More I Hide It, Water Into Wine, Another Murder of a Day, and The Border. It's so interesting to me that Tony wrote such great "solo" songs for Genesis (once they started giving songwriting credits to individual band members his songs were always my favorites) yet his material on his solo albums frequently lacked that certain something. I guess it shows the influence of the other members of Genesis is making suggestions here and there when Tony would bring in a solo song for consideration.

• It's so interesting to me that Tony wrote such great "solo" songs for Genesis......yet his material on his solo albums frequently lacked that certain something. I guess it shows the influence of the other members of Genesis is making suggestions here and there when Tony would bring in a solo song for consideration.

My thoughts exactly. Some very good solo stuff but, sadly, never as fantastic as I expected.

That of course highlights the benefit of the group structure to get the best collective output from the individual inputs.