9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (1) 9%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (1) 9%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

RAY WILSON - Makes Me Think Of Home
    Year: 2016
    Album: Makes Me Think Of Home
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Wilson/Hoff
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 7:56
    Musicians: Ray Wilson, Nir Z., Uwe Metzler, Lawrie Macmillan, Ali Ferguson, Kool Lyczek
    Played Live: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
    Cover versions: unknown

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Our current TotW is the title track of Ray Wilson's 2016 album of the same name. As is well known, what was originally planned as a double album with the working title Backseat Driver ultimately became two separate albums: Song For A Friend and Makes Me Think Of Home. Both were released in the same year. Even if it was actually one and the same project that produced this output, this creative power is quite remarkable - at least superficially viewed quantitatively. This week, you are to judge the qualitative assessment by the example of the title track of the "Plugged" album from this "double pack". Our review even suspects a "rare excursion into progressive structures" in this piece. Can you share this assessment? Or is the playing time the only proggy element?
  • I have some of his solo albums - this one has its moments and this track is probably one of his best. It's quite proggy. It sometimes leaves me thinking he could have done this track a bit better (i.e. an intersection in a different speed or something like that), but overall it's a great track - 12 points from me.

... make tomorrow today!

• I enjoyed this whole album *so* much more than its "companion", Song For A Friend, released just a few months beforehand. I'm still not sure why that should be so. I guess it's akin to when Hackett has released albums the same year, or in quick succession.

• I enjoyed this whole album *so* much more than its "companion", Song For A Friend, released just a few months beforehand. I'm still not sure why that should be so. I guess it's akin to when Hackett has released albums the same year, or in quick succession.

I heard the two RW albums were conceived as one double album but because he thought they were too different, he decided they needed separate releases. Having all the material ready he decided not to wait long to put the later one out.

Abandon all reason

• it's an ok track, not great not terrible. I would say it's prog but even in 2016 it was hard for new prog material to gain traction. The 1970s was the prog decade and, like punk, it's very hard to resurrect the genre without it sounding like pastiche. Ray's voice sounds a bit like Fish to me (fellow Scots), and with a bit more urgency could be mistaken for Marillion.

• Official Post

It actually one of the longest tracks Ray has ever released. I quite like it, but it's also one of those tracks where you think "that could've been better, I just don't know what's missing"

Here is a live version from Unna 2019

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.