40th Anniversary: "Hello I Must Be Going!" by PHIL COLLINS

• Official Post

Phil Collins' second solo album celebrates its 40 release anniversary today.

A review on our website is available here:

Genesis News Com [it]: Phil Collins - Hello I Must Be Going - CD review (genesis-news.com)

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I like the analysis of "I Don't Care Anymore" here.

As for the album, I've acquired a few of its songs individually but never saw the need to buy the whole thing.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• The best album with Phil discography. I Don't Care Anymore, Do You Know Do You Care and Thru These Walls especially. The West Side, Like China.... Classic. The tour was great too. I would give half of my lecturer's salary for a few months and settle for one meal a day hahaha just to find out if Do You Know Do You Care was played in pre-concert rehearsals hahahaha and to listen to that version. It would be a revelation!

• Do You Know Do You Care, I haven't listened to that song for donkey's years but as soon as I saw your post I had it in my head. Must give it a very loud listen later.

I Don't Care Anymore is definitely in my PC top 5 of all time and if I'm allowed to come away from the album version to Perkins Palace 1982, it's number 1. Absolutely banging tune.

• Both IDCA & DYKDYC are up there with the greatest songs he ever did.

Well I've been talking to the people that you call your friends

And it seems to me there's a means to an end

They don't care any more.

That is bleak. At the end, where the review quotes 'you listen, I don't care any more' it's actually 'you listening'. It seems similar to the Cockney idiom he uses in Like China.

And Why Can't It Wait Til Morning takes it to the other extreme, just weary acceptance.

• My favorite PC album, along with But seriously

I has engergy, fascinating song writing, atmosphere, variation, his best instrumental ever, drums, more drums, melody .... it's just nearly perfect!

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• My favorite PC album, along with But seriously

I has engergy, fascinating song writing, atmosphere, variation, his best instrumental ever, drums, more drums, melody .... it's just nearly perfect!

And So To F... (if West Side counts as an instrumental, so does this) trumps TWS as his best, to my mind. H,IMB! remains my favourite of his solo albums. (Although perhaps the imminent 20th anniversary of Testify will provoke a re-evaluation of that.)

• With You Can't Hurry Love we discovered PC's passion for Motown Music. 8)

In my view, if YCHL had not been included on this album, it would be almost the level of Face Value. To me that song drags it down & gave people the wrong idea of what the album was about. Ironically, the first single was the brilliant Thru These Walls, which didn't sell because people thought it was too similar to ITAT.

• At the risk of being labeled a braggard I have very fond memories of this tour as I had the opportunity to go backstage to meet Phil in his dressing room before the show in Washington, DC (thanks go to my extremely buxom female friend at the time who was a radio DJ and managed to flirt our way past Phil's management and stage crew so that she could get Phil to record some promo spots for her station). Still, despite this once in a lifetime experience I have to say that if forced to choose I've always slightly preferred Face Value to Hello I Must Be Going. To me HIMBG seemed like it basically covered much of the same musical ground Phil had already covered on FV. There are some very good songs on Hello. For me the biggest weaknesses are the ballads as compare to FV. For my taste Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away and Why Can't It Wait Until Morning sound rather formulaic and lack the emotion of songs like You Know What I Mean and If Leaving Me is Easy. Also, there's a creative edge to songs like The Roof is Leaking, Droned, and Hand in Hand that are hard to find on HIMBG.

• I agree with most of that, except regarding Why Can't It Wait Till Morning, which is a personal favourite of mine. Face Value is a superior album, no question, but perhaps Hello is a bit ... rawer in the emotions he expresses.

• I Don't Care Anymore, is a quality song especially his original live version.

Interestingly about this album and it being weaker than Face Value as stated above, Phil still thought Against all Odds was not good enough for this record.

• I Don't Care Anymore, is a quality song especially his original live version.

Interestingly about this album and it being weaker than Face Value as stated above, Phil still thought Against all Odds was not good enough for this record.

He's right. It wasn't. I've never liked that song, even after I finally saw him sing it.

• This is my favorite PC album and probably the one that comes as close to the atmosphere of a Gabriel record as possible. I don't care anymore and Thru these walls really stand out and The west side could be one of his best ever outputs.