Sales database

• Ed Sheeran @ 3 and The Beatles @ 43 tells me all I need to know. Drake and Bad Bunny are 1&2 (never heard of them). Taylor Swift and Bieber also in top 10!

Which button did you click? I peeked into the various "Top" lists and they give me Elton John, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Led Zeppelin, ABBA etc. throughout.

• It was the first list tbat popped up, I couldn't find Genesis so gave up. Rather gratifying actually as to be in the list I quoted, they would not have been in good company!

• Just to point out, back in the early days, we relied on music papers and the radio or friends recommmendations. If Genesis ever had a slot on TV, it might of been TOTP, Old Grey Whistle Test or Sight and Sound.

Nowadays with social media and the internet, we are bombarded with music interest. Whats on the news normally sticks. So, sales generally increases. Whats the latest fashion?. So in my honest opinion, sales figures are generally higher with more information available.

It's no surprise to see Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber in the top 10, though some of these artists are not my cup of tea!...

• Ed Sheeran @ 3 and The Beatles @ 43 tells me all I need to know.

That's a melodramatic statement. There are all sorts of things it doesn't tell us. That the Beatles are considerably lower on that list gives a snapshot but says nothing about legacy and longevity, nor does it necessarily tell us that those Sheeran streamers are huge fans of his but not of the Beatles.

Drake and Bad Bunny are 1&2 (never heard of them). Taylor Swift and Bieber also in top 10!

It was the first list tbat popped up, I couldn't find Genesis so gave up. Rather gratifying actually as to be in the list I quoted, they would not have been in good company!

While those artists are largely not what I'd choose to listen to I respect them for being good at what they do. Even Peter Gabriel enthused about Beiber! I think it'd actually be pretty good to see Genesis among those artists in terms of streaming figures.

Abandon all reason

• Lists are fun, but nobody is paying to listen to Ed Sheeran or Bieber or Taylor Swift (who has the top 10 on billboard). Their music has no longevity, it is transient, disposable!

• I'd agree about Sheeran (why is he considered a great songwriter? He used other people stuff and rarely writes a song on his own) and Bieber (So Gabriel likes him? So what) but Taylor Swift is a considerable talent. One of the few modern acts who's have had a significant career even in the 60's or 70's, IMO.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Lists are fun, but nobody is paying to listen to Ed Sheeran or Bieber or Taylor Swift (who has the top 10 on billboard). Their music has no longevity, it is transient, disposable!

Not sure how you can judge their longevity or otherwise. Likewise your assessment of disposability. I strongly suspect Swift and her work will be around for years to come. (And probably attain some form of Abba-esque reassessment at some point.) And Sheeran has hardly been a one-hit wonder.

• I agree certainly Taylor Swifts first 3 albums are really good and there was still a country influence at that point. After that i personally loose a bit of interest in what she has been doing apart from the odd song here and there but no denying she certainly has talent.

• I agree certainly Taylor Swifts first 3 albums are really good and there was still a country influence at that point. After that i personally loose a bit of interest in what she has been doing apart from the odd song here and there but no denying she certainly has talent.

Not the first to do that. Shania Twain, who didn't have the courage of her convictions, so mixed country and pop versions of the same albums, but the late, great Nanci Griffith did it too, and her pop/rock era, which sort of started at Lone Star State of Mind and really hit its stride with Storms and Late Night Grande Hotel are some of the best albums of the 80's.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Not sure how you can judge their longevity or otherwise. Likewise your assessment of disposability. I strongly suspect Swift and her work will be around for years to come. (And probably attain some form of Abba-esque reassessment at some point.) And Sheeran has hardly been a one-hit wonder.

I agree. I am not a fan (of neither of them), but the question how people will celebrate their legacy (or not) is not really predictable. Who knows what people like in 30 years time....

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Agreed! It's definitely surprising to see Genesis' streaming numbers lag behind other major bands. Maybe their fanbase skews older and prefers physical media or downloads? https://chartmasters.org/streaming-masters-genesis/ dives into their Artist Success Rating (ASR), which might offer some insights. Exploring avenues for CRM enrichment could be beneficial to tap into and understand the preferences of their diverse fanbase.

Edited once, last by smitbret ().

• I have the suspicion that in a few years time the general perception regarding the goblins Sheeran and Bieber will be a complete lack of interest at all, only wondering how could these weird performers be considered as hype and promoted so much, not unlike The Spice Girls or Psy.

• Ultimately it's irrelevant what a small gaggle of bellyaching Genesis fans think of Sheeran or any of the acts mentioned earlier in this thread, or what the ratio of solo-written to collaborative songs is, as though that's some kind of sacred standard. They're good at what they do and are hugely popular, loved by millions around the world and good on them. They bring many people pleasure and enjoyment.

I'm personally not keen on them but I respect them. Often, undemanding middling acts become hugely popular as there's nothing very challenging about their work, it's safe and therefore has widespread appeal. Other examples are Coldplay, Adele and Collins solo. I'm not hugely enthused about any of them but they have a formula that hit a global sweet spot. Well done them.

Abandon all reason