SIMON COLLINS & KELLY NORDSTROM: emolecule (2023) - review online

• Official Post

Simon Collins and Kelly Nordstorm (both were part of SOund Of Contact) have announced a new band and album project emolecule.

Details:

/ Simon Collins announces new project "emolecule" (genesis-news.com)

UPDATE 1 February

review also online here:

Genesis News Com [it]: eMolecule (Simon Collins & Kelly Nordstorm) - The Architect - review (genesis-news.com)

emolecue.jpg

• I am not a fan of Simon's solo music (although his last album was quite enjoyable), but I really liked the Sound of contact stuff. Looking forward to hearing this new album!

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

Well, if this is like SoC or based on it, it will be quite good I think. Dimensionaut was really strong (which is not the case for at least half of his solo albums)

• Official Post

First single will come tomorrow. Watch this space!

• Official Post

The duo has announced their first album The Architect and the first single, a 10 minute track, was released.

More info

/ eMolecule announce debut album "The Architect" (genesis-news.com)

• External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't know, the song lasts 10 minutes and I left at 5 already.

One of Simon's best qualities is his voice and here perhaps for the vocoder (!?) I don't even recognize it. :/

• Official Post

I have heard the whole album already and I am working on a review now

The first track is a grower - although not necessarily a representative for the whole album. The Architect is a bit harder than Dimensionaut. There are more melodic tracks, proggy tracks and experimental stuff. Definitely something to look forward to!

• Listened to in full it is automatic to compare it to the dark songs of Genesis such as CAS or Watcher of the Skies. 8)

well, that comparison (Watcher / CAS) didn't cross my mind when I heard this. I quite liked Dimensionaut. I hope for some more "song-like" tracks. This first track is a bit too "strange" for me.

• External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't know, the song lasts 10 minutes and I left at 5 already.

One of Simon's best qualities is his voice and here perhaps for the vocoder (!?) I don't even recognize it. :/

I hope the album will not entirely be like this. For one track it's ok. This indeed sounds a bit like Tool. Or maybe even Porcupine Tree?

... make tomorrow today!

• I didn't even know SC had done any albums so I've learned something at least.

This track is OK but frustrating in the way so much proggy stuff can often be. I like elements of it, such as the hard-edged riffing together with an electro feel. I agree there's a Tool likeness and I'd add 90s Crimson too. I don't see any issue with the vocal treatment - it's not as though he sounds like Metal Mickey or Sparky's Magic Piano or whatever.

But what's frustrating is this prog template that seemingly has to be followed by so many acts. Intro - loud bit - fast bit - solo-y bit - quiet reflective ethereal bit - return to loud fast bit, another widdly-widdly solo etc. It can get very tedious. And each bit is overstretched. This song really doesn't need to be 10mins. Without the unnecessary elongations and repetitions it could fit into 5 mins and pack a greater punch. Which can be applied to so much modern prog stuff I hear.

On balance I probably won't investigate further.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

On balance I probably won't investigate further.

Well, I have heard the whole album and I highly recommend to listen to it as a whole piece. Funny enough, the track eMolecule is the track I don't listen to a lot anymore.

• I am actually really happy about the new single:

External Content youtu.be

... make tomorrow today!

• I am actually really happy about the new single:

External Content youtu.be

Yep I like the dynamics in that more than the other track. will definitely continue to keep an eye out for more. Is it life-alteringly good? No, but there are enough elements I like, and a general feeling that they are trying something with potential.

• Simon has a very weak voice, a sort of pale copy of his father. Without the echo chamber and the reverb of his voice, there is not much left. A not unpleasant timbre but rather anodyne.

• Simon has a very weak voice, a sort of pale copy of his father. Without the echo chamber and the reverb of his voice, there is not much left. A not unpleasant timbre but rather anodyne.

well, a lot of people have a weak voice. It's simply a question what to do with it. I like their approach and this track really sounds good.