SIMON COLLINS & KELLY NORDSTROM: emolecule (2023) - review online

• I am actually really happy about the new single:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

same here! But still hoping for some great melodies. "Beyond belief" is a good start for that!

• Official Post

Third single released today - Mastermind

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Third single released today - Mastermind

It's reasonably good but starts to meander a little after some promising bits at the start. They obviously have a shtick which is kind of matrixy, synthy, and proggy with some metal thrown in and themes of dystopian oversight and menacing authority. There's a sameness though to the three tracks so far and it's all long form, and starting to mush together. I think they have promise but hoping for some punchier tracks, maybe with a more organic sound, to mix things up. I think a whole album of what they've put out might be a bit turgid. Will continue to monitor!

• Christian

Changed the title of the thread from “SIMON COLLINS & KELLY NORDSTORM: emolecule (2023)” to “SIMON COLLINS & KELLY NORDSTORM: emolecule (2023) - review online”.
    • Official Post
    • Official Post

Now that the album is out - did you buy it? Have you hard it? What do you think?

• I've listened and watched each video and just can't get into them. To me it's nothing like SOC. I like the edgy-ness of their sound, but it's too electronic for my tastes. It's sad we will never have another SOC album because the chemistry of those musicians together would have produced some great prog music.

• I've listened and watched each video and just can't get into them. To me it's nothing like SOC. I like the edgy-ness of their sound, but it's too electronic for my tastes. It's sad we will never have another SOC album because the chemistry of those musicians together would have produced some great prog music.

Agreed with you : it's too electronic, too repetitive. The sound is not very good at all.

• Official Post

I've listened and watched each video and just can't get into them. To me it's nothing like SOC. I like the edgy-ness of their sound, but it's too electronic for my tastes. It's sad we will never have another SOC album because the chemistry of those musicians together would have produced some great prog music.

I think it's quite good. I would not recommend to compare it too much with SoC.

In some places it does sound like "Porcupine Tree", in other places it's a bit too rough. But it also has wonderful melodies (Awaken, Beyond belief or My you!). I will certainly listen to it more often.

• Simon Collins: "It’s progressive rock, bits of metal, it’s electronica, it’s industrial..."

A bit away from my progressive music which is symphonic pop. :/

• Simon Collins: "It’s progressive rock, bits of metal, it’s electronica, it’s industrial..."

A bit away from my progressive music which is symphonic pop. :/

What is progressive rock? I don't think it's a very limited genre, it has many facets. Having said that, I'm not sure we need those categories all the time. eMolecule's album is dark, heavy, disturbing, then uplifting. It's a journey. One I don't like all the time, but it makes sense. I understand they signed for three albums so I am curious what they will do next.

Was skeptical first, but "Architect" is quite good, imo :thumbup: