PETER GABRIEL - I/O: The Tour 2023 (general info)

• Official Post

There’s an updated tour trailer which now includes „Panopticom“

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just announced Denver on 10/16!! I'm SO there!

Since Genesis cut out the entire western half of the US, I didn't get to see them-and sadly will likely never be able to again. But I am NOT missing Peter!

What's more, my 11 year old daughter has gotten really into PG's music over this last year, and she is the one who will be going with me-her first concert!! :)

• Hmm. The prices for similar seats to what I had for Genesis or Smashing Pumpkins at the same venue are eye popping. 2-4x the cost. The whole "verified resale" thing makes me queasy too.

Motherfucker. I think the better part of valor here is to pay less for worse seats. It'll still be a good show. And at least I can get tickets, unlike for The Cure - don't know what happened there other than Robert Smith seemed to have interjected himself in the process in a genuine effort to stop scalpers and in the process somehow made it impossible for anyone to buy a ticket, yet the show is inexplicably sold out.

• I see by the start of your second paragraph that you are familiar with Ticketmaster's proper name.

😆 Indeed. There is something absolutely vile about an entity that is in effect a middleman, providing no value whatsoever, charging "convenience" fees for emailing me a ticket to see an artist. And don't they own seatwave or some of these other sites that quickly fill up with scalped tickets at multiples of the cost? In essence motivating them to let scalper bots hoover up the initial tickets for any gig so that regular joes (and janes!) have a much reduced chance of getting a face value (+convenience fee) ticket? Very corporate, parasitical behavior and very much in the spirit of capitalism.

• That tour promo video looks to be all footage from the Back to Front tour, which was nine years ago now...this tells me that the actual stage setup and lighting/graphics will likely be different from those videos. I'm very curious to see how it's set up! PG apparently said it'll be "easier and simpler" than what I presume he means to be the Growing Up tour, with hanging upside down and everything...

I guess we'll see in about six weeks or so!

• Official Post

It seems that Don-e is the keyboard player for the tour. A talented chap.

From his Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo…908&set=a.445410207593678

yes, Peter was asked about the keyboard player last year in Paris and said it’s going to be Don-E. The info has been part of our tour dates page for several months.
    https://www.genesis-news.com/c…and-ticket-info-s857.html

but nice to see he’s now starting to spread the news himself.

• Peter was asked about the keyboard player last year in Paris and said it’s going to be Don-E.

Yep, saw that when you published it. It seems to have taken a long time for anything to appear on Don-e's social media. I suppose until contracts were sorted then he had to keep quiet. Interesting to see Tony L and his bass tech. in the background, the lyrics to Solsbury Hill on the prompt/monitor also a trumpet at the back of the room! Wonder what that's for? Maybe a rendition of That'll Do is on the cards! Roll on Verona and Milan!

• I'm going to keep out of this thread from now. I'm already getting twitchy about song mentions, no matter how speculative or (in the case of Solsbury) obvious!

As the tour looms closer I'll swerve the board entirely until I've been to the first of my pair. I know we'll have spoiler threads as with the Genesis tour but sadly some didn't honour that.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

His new band gives him a lot of options for new live arrangements. Looking forward to hearing old classics in new sounds and of course many new tracks as well

• His new band gives him a lot of options for new live arrangements. Looking forward to hearing old classics in new sounds and of course many new tracks as well

Agreed some new versions will be intriguing, but IMO we've been hearing "reworked versions" of his hits for years, what with New Blood and Back to Front etc. I wouldn't mind some of his songs showing somewhat of a return to form, to relive some classic moments.

For example, not every song has to have a new string arrangement IMO.

• I do have to say that-after seeing the Full Moon video for May-I love the stage design and setup for this tour! It's a bit reminiscient of his Back to Front tour in general, but seemingly on a larger scale with the vertical screen columns in the center-but there seem to be more of them, creating a wider stage this time-and also curved. Also, they'll be able to capture lots of great footage on those super wide side projection panels! And the huge circular panel up above doesn't just look like lighting-it's an actual screen as far as I can tell!