PETER GABRIEL - I/O: The Tour 2023 (general info)

• On previous comments:

Yes, I hope they play Mercy Street, it's one of my all time PG favourites along with San Jacinto and Family Snapshot.

Also, regarding his last tour, Peter himself said they started to rehearse Supper's Ready for that tour , but it was abandoned.

I wonder why?

If this is his final tour (due to his age), is it such a long shot to think they may try it again given how highly he holds this (23 minute) song?

David

• Wouldn’t that be good? But sadly I think not. I know his band said it was too hard but they’d be easily capable of learning it but I can’t see him devoting such a chunk of set list time to it. I wouldn’t rule out a little bit of Genesis this time round but I still think it’s highly unlikely and not in keeping with his whole approach since the very early tours. But you never know. If he did do a bit of Genesis I’d expect a rearranged version of something fairly acoustic. However, I think he’s got plenty of his own material to chose from so why risk slipping into any of the pitfalls he has been avoiding all these years by not playing anything Genesis. Let’s hope I’m wrong. Just read that back and it sounds as vague as something Peter himself might mumble….

• Wouldn’t that be good? But sadly I think not. I know his band said it was too hard but they’d be easily capable of learning it but I can’t see him devoting such a chunk of set list time to it. I wouldn’t rule out a little bit of Genesis this time round but I still think it’s highly unlikely and not in keeping with his whole approach since the very early tours. But you never know. If he did do a bit of Genesis I’d expect a rearranged version of something fairly acoustic. However, I think he’s got plenty of his own material to chose from so why risk slipping into any of the pitfalls he has been avoiding all these years by not playing anything Genesis. Let’s hope I’m wrong. Just read that back and it sounds as vague as something Peter himself might mumble….

I fully agree with what you say, it would be a long shot, but as he contemplated it last time then you never know.

Devoting such a chunk of time to that song when he has such a huge catalogue of his own definitely goes against him playing it, but I could believe he would play a part of it or another shorter track, I think he would want to add a Genesis track to his final tour....

David

• Depending on quite what you mean by his "last tour", it was in 2011 when Gabriel talked about trying out Supper's Ready "not long ago".

• I fully agree with what you say, it would be a long shot, but as he contemplated it last time then you never know.

Devoting such a chunk of time to that song when he has such a huge catalogue of his own definitely goes against him playing it, but I could believe he would play a part of it or another shorter track, I think he would want to add a Genesis track to his final tour....

David

It was apparently 07 when he suggested it and his band shot it down. I do feel it's more likely he might do a Genesis track this tour, but it won't be any part of SR. I hope not anyway. It's really not what I'm going to a 2023 PG show to see.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

To avoid fans reading stuff they don't want to prior to the gig, we will have individual show threads where you can post photos and we will als add setlists there.

• It was apparently 07 when he suggested it and his band shot it down. I do feel it's more likely he might do a Genesis track this tour, but it won't be any part of SR. I hope not anyway. It's really not what I'm going to a 2023 PG show to see.

100% agree with the highlighted! I'll be going to see him live for the first time since 2002-and I want to see him do as many of his own songs as possible (and probably so will my 11 year old daughter, who will be with me-as she's not a huge PG era Genesis fan). Any Genesis song would take up valuable setlist real estate. Any song other than short ones like Carpet Crawlers (which I doubt he'll do cos that was Genesis' show closer for their last ever show) or Lamb Lies Down on Broadway would take up two or three songs worth of time! If he does do a Genesis song, I wouldn't be disappointed per se-but it would feel odd, like when Phil played Misunderstanding on his FFF tour-it just felt kind of jarring to NOT see Genesis playing it, and having a horn section added to it.

I guess we'll see soon enough!

To avoid fans reading stuff they don't want to prior to the gig, we will have individual show threads where you can post photos and we will als add setlists there.

That's great-thanks for organizing it that way!

I'm big on avoiding movie spoilers, but I personally don't mind spoilers for concerts. In fact I like knowing what they're going to play, cos then I won't spend the whole concert hoping for a certain song-just to find out that they don't play it! That happened to me in 2007 with Genesis' TIOA tour. I didn't look at the setlist before I went-and I spent the whole time hoping they'd play Abacab, and they never did. I remember being disappointed as I was telling my mom about it.

• Official Post

I actually hope he will do somewthing else. As much as I love Mercy Street, I hope for the unexpected. And for a lot of new songs. He did revisit the past on previous tours a lot anyway.

• If this is indeed his last tour (who knows, but after all he's in his 70's now), I would actually hope he does the usual ratio of new songs (historically five or six) vs past favorites. On a setlist that will likely have between 16-19 songs (which seems the norm for older musicians these days), five or six new songs is around a third of the setlist. If it may be the last chance to see him live, I'd hope we can see a good selection favorites one last time.

• Official Post

If this is indeed his last tour (who knows, but after all he's in his 70's now), I would actually hope he does the usual ratio of new songs (historically five or six) vs past favorites. On a setlist that will likely have between 16-19 songs (which seems the norm for older musicians these days), five or six new songs is around a third of the setlist. If it may be the last chance to see him live, I'd hope we can see a good selection favorites one last time.

well, if you like spoilers … read this

PETER GABRIEL - i/o: The Tour, rehearsals and setlist rumors ***SPOILER***

• Depending on quite what you mean by his "last tour", it was in 2011 when Gabriel talked about trying out Supper's Ready "not long ago".

I can’t find the info yet, but I’m 100% sure at a soundcheck in Milano back during the 2 Growing Up Tour 2003 shows filmed for the official dvd (or the year after, for a third date at the same location added to the Still Growing Up), he had a long soundcheck rehearsing both “Make Tomorrow” (closer to the unreleased “Son of OVO” version) and a “modern” re-arranged partial version of “Supper’s Ready”. Both songs obviously were never performed live.

I’m sure of this. During 2003-2004 I clearly remember me asking some closer recording collectors or music-friends to find or share that soundcheck and nobody seemed to have it (or wanting to share).

Maybe someone else could confirm this info.

The news that truly shocks is the empty, empty page

• Official Post

It was stated sold out a while ago, so maybe tickets became available again?

Gabriel’s site also says sold out.

• It was stated sold out a while ago, so maybe tickets became available again?

Gabriel’s site also says sold out.

That's really strange that the website has it down as sold out. They are shooting themselves in the foot! Have a look at the screen shot below, and thats only one area. The red ones are resales, blue are standard sales.

• Official Post

That's really strange that the website has it down as sold out. They are shooting themselves in the foot! Have a look at the screen shot below, and thats only one area. The red ones are resales, blue are standard sales.

have changed that on our site, thanks for reaching out!

• You know, I've kinda been wondering if Peter may end up changing up his setlist a bit once he starts his US leg in September. I know there are a few different songs that were more popular in the US compared to Europe-as is always the case with artists. I don't imagine he'd change any of the new songs. But perhaps one or two of the older songs might be changed up...? I'd be fine with that, as long as he keeps the five he plays towards the end-those are my daughter's favorites.