i/o The Tour: Setlist discussion

• Official Post

Hi everybody

Our German forum has started discussions about possible tracks Peter might play. Of course we do not know the new album yet, but what di you think Peter will play from his catalogue? Any surprises?

• The tour announcement said that as well as I/O tracks there'll be "hits, fan favourites and the unexpected".

'Hits' will mean Sledgehammer and Solsbury Hill. Possibly GWF.

'Fan favourites' - personally I don't know what this means. Any takers?

'The unexpected' - where do you start? If it's unexpected it could be anything. Maybe he's finally persuaded his band to play Supper's Ready as he tried to in 07!

At the point of this announcement it's 40 years since 4. OK the tour will miss that anniversary but is it possible he'll focus on that album, do 4 or 5 from it? Including dusting off I Have The Touch?

Another category is of course 'The Obvious' eg In Your Eyes.

Abandon all reason

• Of course I won't be at THIS tour ;) but:

Fan Favourites include Solsbury Hill, Sledgehammer, GWF & Biko (surely). I would have thought those are also Obvious.

if it were up to me he would do songs like Digging In The Dirt, No Self Control, Red Rain, Here Comes The Flood, Sky Blue, In Your Eyes, Don't Give Up. This is a selective list.

Unexpected might include something like San Jacinto & a couple of tracks from Up. I don't know!

• I would have thought those are also Obvious.

They are but I was teasing out the areas mentioned in the email.

Unexpected might include something like San Jacinto & a couple of tracks from Up.

I wouldn't assume SJ but I don't think it's unexpected. I'd tend to agree Up tracks are less likely.

With a very basic band I expect only Unpuggled Rearranged Hits.

What? What 'very basic band'?

Abandon all reason

• Peter Gabriel: Vocals, Piano

Tony Levin: Bass

Manu Katche: Drums

David Rhodes: Guitars

Keyboards are missing, unless there are pre-recorded backing tracks. :/

• Maybe he's finally persuaded his band to play Supper's Ready as he tried to in 07!

😲

I never knew that! Would have been interesting timing with Genesis out on the road then too.

Looking forward to US dates being announced. I've never seen him live. Would hope for a couple of tracks off IV and UP. San Jacinto, Wallflower, Growing Up, I Grieve etc.

• 😲

I never knew that! Would have been interesting timing with Genesis out on the road then too.

Looking forward to US dates being announced. I've never seen him live. Would hope for a couple of tracks off IV and UP. San Jacinto, Wallflower, Growing Up, I Grieve etc.

He said it during a talk he gave about 6 years ago in London. He laughed and said it didn't go down too well and there was near-mutiny.

I'd be very happy with your suggestions. I never think much about my preferences ahead of tours but with him there's always a lingering hope he'll suddenly show 2 a bit more love but it's unlikely.

Abandon all reason

• I feel like, as with Genesis, there are certain songs that have to be played, though I never rule out the unconventional with PG.

"Have to" Songs

Solsbury Hill

Biko

Shock the Monkey

Red Rain

Sledgehammer

In Your Eyes

Digging in the Dirt

Secret World

And there will, of course, be a big chunk of music from the new album. Which doesn't leave a lot of time for other tunes if the "have to's" get played.

Safe setlist would include some of the following (aka familiar songs):

GWF

Not One of Us

Big Time

Steam

Family Snapshot

Here Comes the Flood

Looking at setlists from Back to Front, is it true that basically nothing from Up got played? Maybe some candidates there. I think just about anything off this album could be included. I Grieve is really strong IMO but is kind of a mood piece. I kind of lump Tower That Ate People with Up and it's a pretty good live number.

And then there's the tunes I want to see, aka long shots (or are they?).

San Jacinto

Intruder

Come Talk to Me

Rhythm of the Heat

Thoughts?

• Biko and Shock the monkey were not always played during recent tours. I agree with the rest of your first batch.

It's hard to predict what "surprises" will be played. That could be a soundtrack tune such as Everybird or The veil or something completely different, why not an acoustic section? I think that would open a door to new arrangements. Growing up unplugged maybe?

'The unexpected' - where do you start? If it's unexpected it could be anything. Maybe he's finally persuaded his band to play Supper's Ready as he tried to in 07!

If he was going to blow the dust off of any Genesis tune, I would say the most likely would be Dancing With The Moonlit Knight. He sang the intro, which was only for a minute, when he toured with Sting in 2016 so it's not totally inconceivable.

But, honestly rather than that, I would be even more thrilled if he played virtually anything in its entirety from PG2 or even some rarely played newer tracks like I Grieve, Burn You Up, Burn You Down or Love To Be Loved.

• If he was going to blow the dust off of any Genesis tune, I would say the most likely would be Dancing With The Moonlit Knight. He sang the intro, which was only for a minute, when he toured with Sting in 2016 so it's not totally inconceivable.

But, honestly rather than that, I would be even more thrilled if he played virtually anything in its entirety from PG2 or even some rarely played newer tracks like I Grieve, Burn You Up, Burn You Down or Love To Be Loved.

Some PG2 would be great. I'd be happy with your other suggestions.

Given he suggested SR to his band in 07, and DWTMK featured on the Sting tour, I don't rule out a Genesis track featuring as he seems to have opened up to the possibility. Probably still unlikely, but if it did happen I'd imagine a Lamb track - the title track, CC or NYC if his voice could manage it.

Abandon all reason

• The band is not complete : that’s it.

…. Keyboard, back-up singer, another guitarist will be announced soon.

"Another guitarist"? What makes you think that? It's been a while since we've seen a Dickie Evans multi-instrumentalist type-affair as part of the line-up. (Even accounting for the "authentic" B2F set-up.)

• Hey there ya'll.

I'd say there's the obvious ones PG will "have to" play:

Sledgehammer

In your Eyes

Solsbury Hill

Red Rain

Secret World

Then the "fan favorites" I think he could likely include would be:

San Jacinto

Games w/o Frontiers

Shock the Monkey

Biko

Digging in the dirt

Mercy Street

As far as "unexpected," it's possible he could put in one or two he hasn't played in a while, like:

On The Air

Rhythm of the Heat

I have the Touch

Big Time

Steam

Or other "unexpected" ones could include songs from Ovo or a non-album track, like something from "Rated PG."

Then there's usually one or two he does just on piano:

Here comes the Flood

Washing of the Water

Father, Son

Of course he would likely play one or two from his Up album. Unlikely to be anything utilizing the BB of A, so probably not Sky Blue.

Lastly, his new material will likely take up at least four or five songs on the setlist....either way, I imagine he may select songs that are less taxing on his vocal chords (as PC did for his last tours), as his voice is not what it was 20 years ago and some of the higher notes are now a bit challenging....

And there we go!

• Official Post

I assume he will play 5-6 new tracks during the European leg, most likely the 5-6 which will have been released by then. Then it's quite possible he's thoring in a completely unknown track.

I was wondering if he would play something like Everybird (that actually was rehearsed during soundchecks in 2014).

I can also imagine he will do something about the Encores ...

Come Talk To Me

Red Rain

*new track*

The Court

Games Without Frontiers

Growing Up

Solsbury Hill

San Jacinto

Everybird

Mercy Street

Playing For Time

No Self Control

Panopticom

Shock The Monkey

Digging In The Dirt

Sledgehammer

Four Kinds Of Horses

i/o

Secret World

In Your Eyes

• I don't know why but I'm thinking of a more daring setlist. The band is well renewed, the approaches seem to be different and Peter mentioned - in a laconic tone - some surprises in the setlist...

I'm not sure about Red Rain or Shock the Monkey.

Edited once, last by Ben ().

• hello, je suis nouveau (et français, donc j'écris en français, désolé)

Je vais voir PG à Milan et à Paris (ce sera la 7ème et 8ème fois que je le vois sur scène - la 1ère fois, c'était en 1993)

Je pense qu'il semble logique qu'il joue les 5 morceaux sortis depuis janvier + Love can heal (déjà entendu durant le rock, paper, scissor tour avec Sting) et qui va faire partie de l'album i/o. Ce qui fait 6 plus peut-être un autre invité surprise. Disons 7.

Le reste ne sera que des anciens morceaux.

Parmi les incontournables: Solsbury Hill, In Your Eyes, Sledgehammer et Secret World. Quid de Biko? (trop joué certes mais tellement emblématique, symbolique. peut-être dans une autre version...)

Pour compléter, je vois bien San Jacinto (pas joué dans cette configuration depuis 2004 - je mets de côté le New blood tour); Games without frontiers; Signal to noise; Red rain; don't give up ou come talk to me (car il a 2 chanteuses); Wallflower, the rhythm of the heat.

Dans les morceaux qui n'ont pas été joués récemment et éventuelles surprises: Lay your hands on me; DIY; On the air, Humdrum, Shaking the tree, lovetown
    Et même s'il l'a déjà fait, pourquoi pas terminer en piano voix avec here comes the flood (sa voix semble tellement extraordinaire)

Edited 3 times, last by ecirb73 ().