Genesis Instrumental Concerts

• Before I get shot down.... this is purely hypothetical only.

But given everyone in the band is fit and well and they have a great drummer in Nic, who has shown how good he is and eager to perform the older and longer pieces, I wondered if maybe in a few years time, whether Tony, Mike and Nic (with Darryl) would consider simply doing a small tour playing smaller theatres playing only instrumental version of their songs which would allow for more longer pieces to be played again and give Tony maybe his moment to really shine etc

Phil had said many years ago about the 4 piece band doing just this after Peter left and now they no longer have a healthy singer, it would be a way to keep the band alive in a way fans would accept?

Would this be something people would like should it be possible?

• As Tony told Phil at the time : "Hahaha, come on... We have songs. Songs need to be sung."

I love instrumental passages too, but I think it would be too weird to have instrumental passages only, as often, they sort of illustrate what the lyrics are about.

Still, Ray Wilson could be a part of the band for a tour with the others and with Nic on drums ; since now Phil is retired, having his son in the band would give a sense of continuity... If only, this time, they chose the songs carefully, as opposed to the CAS Tour, where some of the 80's songs didn't work too much (to my ears of course).

Anyway, dreams...

• Sadly I think a definitive line has been drawn under Genesis. For so many years they said "never say never" but I think that's really behind us after the last tour. The various members will keep doing their own thing for a few years yet, and I would go out of my way to attend if, for example, Steve got Ray to sing with him. Won't be Genesis though.

That said, I see where you're coming from. Apart from Phil, they are able bodied, so why not, when other bands seem to keep going until their great great grandchildren can attend their gigs? Tony and Mike *could* play together in some Genesis-y form. They're not going to though.

• Would adore this but very, very unlikely.

I'm still hoping the Mechanics play as much Genesis as possible next year and not just I Can't Dance, Throwing it all Away, Land of Confusion and Invisible Touch).

And, as thewatcher mentions above, a Ray and Steve tour would be fantastic.

• As understandable as it is to dream up ever-more convoluted ways of fantasising Genesis continuing,I'm usually between impatience and uninterest with this sort of stuff but I have to admit this is now just making me laugh. Thanks everyone! 😂👍

Abandon all reason

• And please keep it going, the more absurd the better. How about a digitally-recreated John Mayhew joining Phillips, Banks, Rutherford and PG for a Trespass showcase gig?

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Well that's a point, they could go full Abba and virtually reunite the 5-man lineup for a digi-tour.

How about it choccy - can that go on your fantasy wishlist?

Maybe they can throw in Take A Chance On Me or a mashup - Dancing Queen With The Moonlit Knight?

Fantasies are only limited by a lack of imagination ;)

• And please keep it going, the more absurd the better. How about a digitally-recreated John Mayhew joining Phillips, Banks, Rutherford and PG for a Trespass showcase gig?

Did Mayhew play much live with them though? I'd go with digitally recreating Phil if he played the material live more. May seem a bit insensitive since the bloke's still alive but he can't drum so I think it's excusable.

• A two man show, an evening with Mike and Tony playing instrumental/acoustic versions from their classic period, with audience Q & A's. Vocal performances can be left to Steve's band.

• Did Mayhew play much live with them though? I'd go with digitally recreating Phil if he played the material live more. May seem a bit insensitive since the bloke's still alive but he can't drum so I think it's excusable.

Difficult to say with any degree of accuracy but I reckon somewhere between 75 and 80 gigs between Sept '69 and July '70.

• Would adore this but very, very unlikely.

I'm still hoping the Mechanics play as much Genesis as possible next year and not just I Can't Dance, Throwing it all Away, Land of Confusion and Invisible Touch).

And, as thewatcher mentions above, a Ray and Steve tour would be fantastic.

Am I alone in wanting to see Mechanics material when I go to see M+Ms? In the same way as I no longer go to see Hackett solo, given the amount of solo material he doesn't perform.

• Am I alone in wanting to see Mechanics material when I go to see M+Ms? In the same way as I no longer go to see Hackett solo, given the amount of solo material he doesn't perform.

If I went to see them it would be to see them do their material, not reheated Genesis. And if they do Genesis, it will be likely be exactly the ones Trick of the Wuthering hopes they won't do (I'm aware they've crowbarred in MR's scratchy take on the FoF solo before).

I'm also with you re Hackett's shows but by now there's little or no chance he'll ever again do another tour of just his own material.

Abandon all reason

• Now that Genesis have stopped performing live, it seems perfectly reasonable that Mike+Mechanics play Genesis material (particularly since the band lineup changes), otherwise it's just Steve keeping the flag flying.