9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

PETER GABRIEL - Darkness
    Year: 2002
    Album: UP
    Working title: House In The Woods
    Credits: Gabriel
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 6:52
    Musicians: Peter Gabriel, Tony Levin, David Rhodes, Manu Katche, Dave Power, London Session Orchestra
    Played Live: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2011
    Cover versions: Tarja, Nena, Engelspost

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Darkness is considered one of the core pieces in the making of UP, which took Gabriel almost 10 years to produce. The song stands out among the Gabriel songs, even though stylistic elements of the song were already used on OVO (2000) (The Tower That Ate People). During the 2-year (Still) Growing Up tour, Darkness was usually played after the opener (which was mostly Here Comes The Flood). In 2009 it returned to the live set after the song was not played in 2007.
  • I remember listening to Up an awful lot in the year it was released, I traveled a lot and it was a major companion piece to those travels. Darkness was such a great opener, with the jagged, unsettling verses and sorrowful, melodic chorus. It has a signature Gabriel component of expressing vulnerability to perfection. 15/15.

• Official Post

13 pts

I remember listening to that track for the first time. I got a promo copy very early (June or July 2002) and nearly destroyed my ears as I played this really loud.

Then a couple of weeks later Peter played this in Munich, still weeks before the album came out. Only a few knew this track. Was a great moment when he played this.

• My recollection of hearing this song for first time always brings a smile because (and I've heard from others who did the same thing) I put up the volume during that little percussive bit that opens the track, curiously wanting to listen closely, only to be jarred by the screeching sound screaming out of my speakers seconds later and me scrambling to reach for the volume control.

I think there are some great songs on this album - I just don't think this is one of them.

I voted "Satisfactory" because I think it's an OK song, once you get past that jarring intro, but I think it pales in comparison, certainly to the four excellent tracks that follow.

• My recollection of hearing this song for first time always brings a smile because (and I've heard from others who did the same thing) I put up the volume during that little percussive bit that opens the track, curiously wanting to listen closely, only to be jarred by the screeching sound screaming out of my speakers seconds later and me scrambling to reach for the volume control.

Yes this matches my first listen, only it was over earphones while sitting on the top deck of a 65 bus going along Eden Street in Kingston on my way to work in Ealing one morning.

I kind of get what you're saying about its diminishing returns. That jarring opening is effective and piqued my interest, as I like abrasive atonal stuff. But it then sort of wimps out a bit. Overall though, I like it.

Abandon all reason