German book about "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" published

• Official Post

In Germany, a new book (in German language obviously) about the Genesis album "The Lamb Lies Down On Boradway" is now available:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…-about-The-Lamb-n830.html

The book has 450+ pages (!) and was written by historian and cultural scientist (and Genesis fan) Mark Bell.

We haven't seen the book yet and also there are no plans at the moment to translate this into English, but who knows ...

• 450 pages??? Looks to me it's more a scientific approach? My German is ... not really existing ;)

Curious what German readers will report and then hopefully, if it's good, we'll get an English version :?:

• Official Post

First copies of the book have arrived in Germany. There are no redundant photos in the book, so the 450+ pages will take some time to read. Don't expect reviews too soon ;)

• Official Post

The first fan has completed reading and posted this in our German forum

I finished reading the book yesterday and really enjoyed it. Bell has resurrected the time of the Lamb. The story has never been told so soundly and in one cast. Everything has been substantiated with almost 1100 footnotes without detracting from the reading enjoyment. Chapeau, Dr Bell!

• Official Post

We are now pleased to confirm that the author of the new book on the history of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" , which was published in German just over a week ago, Dr Mark Bell has begun translating his book into English. As the author has read for a Master's degree at a British university, he usually writes British English. He would therefore be interested to know whether a version in American English would be preferable to you. By the way, the German version of the book is selling very well and we are receiving first very positive feedback from readers who have devoured the book, which has more than 450 pages, in a very short time (a bit like Rael did with the Lamia, but we are sure that none of the readers will turn into a Slipperman).

• We are now pleased to confirm that the author of the new book on the history of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" , which was published in German just over a week ago, Dr Mark Bell has begun translating his book into English. As the author has read for a Master's degree at a British university, he usually writes British English. He would therefore be interested to know whether a version in American English would be preferable to you. By the way, the German version of the book is selling very well and we are receiving first very positive feedback from readers who have devoured the book, which has more than 450 pages, in a very short time (a bit like Rael did with the Lamia, but we are sure that none of the readers will turn into a Slipperman).

For what it’s worth, this American Genesis fan would prefer the English version of the book to be written in British English.

If he has a Master’s Degree from a British university, and he is accustomed to writing in British English, he should write the English version in it. Besides, the band is English - thus it just seems more authentic to me for it to be written in British English.

The differences between the two dialects are not impenetrable. We’ll be able to understand here. 👍

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• For what it’s worth, this American Genesis fan would prefer the English version of the book to be written in British English.

If he has a Master’s Degree from a British university, and he is accustomed to writing in British English, he should write the English version in it. Besides, the band is English - thus it just seems more authentic to me for it to be written in British English.

The differences between the two dialects are not impenetrable. We’ll be able to understand here. 👍

That all makes sense but it reminded me how some applications of the term British seem almost nonsensical (I mean generally, not specifically your use of it here which is in line with common usage of 'British English').

British pertains to England, Scotland and Wales collectively. There are numerous versions of English spoken throughout the three nations, just as there are across the US. Similarly I never think of myself as "British" - it doesn't really mean anything to me personally (though I'm aware it means a lot to many). I barely even feel English, I think of myself as a Londoner who happens to live in the Scottish Highlands.

Anyway, that's just me going off on a tangent and the main thing is we know what British English is intended to mean. Whatever version of English the book appears in I look forward to it. The divisive Sum Of The Parts film apparently began life as an edition of the Classic Albums series, with a focus on The Lamb and it bugged me that it spread out into this unsatisfactory attempt to capture their whole career. The album deserves a focused treatment of some kind so in the absence of a film the book is a very interesting prospect.

Abandon all reason

• As long as it doesn't come across as a contemporary piece to The Canterbury Tales, I can't imagine it would pose that great of a challenge to any North American fan who has an interest in the subject.

• For what it’s worth, this American Genesis fan would prefer the English version of the book to be written in British English.

As long as there isn't frequent use of words like Colour, Aluminium or Coupe, it should be fine in English English! :P

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

Will the book be translated into Swiss German? I'd be intrigued to make a purchase.

:S=O^^

Erm .... no

that makes two of us "Amis"! ;) Genesis lyrics are full of "Britishisms", so it's only fitting for the book to have a more authentic British flavo(u)r!

In der Zwischenzeit... vielleicht kaufe ich das Buch auf Deutsch..!?!

• Official Post

I'm pretty sure it will be British English in the end. He's already working on it!

• Official Post

Our review is now online here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…way-book-review-s861.html

The book will also be published in English language next year!

• Official Post

This book is definitely going to be the gold standard for books about The Lamb.

And many people who've written books about Genesis in general or specific eras/topics could (should!) really learn from Bell in terms of the development of an argument, in terms of making transparent how they came to a conclusion and in terms of providing pointers to their sources.