No Expectations

Coming Down Again

Star Star

Jiving Sister Fanny

Dead Flowers

She's a Rainbow

Sweet Virginia

Salt of the Earth

• Bowie! I can definitely do that one. I'll get to it...

Here it is. I decided to weight it to latter stuff, in particular to include a few very good covers

Pablo Picasso

The Next Day

Never Get Old

The Loneliest Guy

I'd Rather Be High

Cactus

Dollar Days

Try Some Buy Some

Love Is Lost

Quicksand

I Can't Give Everything Away

Always Crashing In The Same Car (Live at the BBC 2000 version)

Abandon all reason

• Pretty good, although I would have thought Dead Flowers was one of their best loved tracks, same for Sweet Virginia which I actually saw them play. I would add Rain Fall Down, which I love.

• Pretty good, although I would have thought Dead Flowers was one of their best loved tracks, same for Sweet Virginia which I actually saw them play. I would add Rain Fall Down, which I love.

Fair. Definitely Stones fans would list those two among classics. I think that casual fans wouldn't really know those two songs unless they had those albums. Other songs on those albums get more radio exposure or inclusion on playlists. Rain Fall Down is great too. Maybe you should make a second Stones list?

• I can't believe XTC haven't had the treatment yet. Much of what XTC did is reasonably unknown unfortunately.

To be honest, 12 random XTC tracks would do a good job, but here's my take.

Harvest Festival (Apple Venus)

Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her Kiss her (Big Express)

No Language in our Lungs (Black Sea)

Roads Girdle the Globe (Drums and Wires)

Pale and Precious (Dukes of Stratosphear)

Melt the Guns (English Settlement)

Ladybird (Mummer)

Bungalow (Nonsuch)

Chalkhills and Children (Oranges and Lemons)

Another Satellite (Skylarking)

This is Pop

Playground (Wasp Star)

I Wonder Why The Wonderfalls (Theme Tune to TV series Wonderfalls, Andy Partridge)

The last one is a cheat because it's a solo Andy Partridge song, which was the theme to the excellent, and short lived tv series Wonderfalls.

If anyone wants any XTC pointers, just let me know. They are a national treasure, and Andy Partridge is up there with the greatest songwriters of all time, in my opinion

• Damn, I didn't think of them. Now I have to do one too and avoid your choices. You're right, as long as you avoid the 3 obvious hits pretty much any track meets the task of being 'lesser-known gems'. But you've quite rightly included several I'd have definitely put in. I might allow myself one of yours though. I'll get working on it.

Abandon all reason

• Fair. Definitely Stones fans would list those two among classics. I think that casual fans wouldn't really know those two songs unless they had those albums. Other songs on those albums get more radio exposure or inclusion on playlists. Rain Fall Down is great too. Maybe you should make a second Stones list?

I had been thinking about this. There is not a great deal from the 60s era in this list, however.

Rain Fall Down (as I suggested it, I think it would be a good opener)

Before They Make Me Run

Continental Drift

Keep Up Blues

Prodigal Son

Worried About You

Rocks Off

Lies

You Got The SIlver

Sway

She Was Hot

Can't You Hear Me Knocking

• Here is one for Paul McCartney (no WIngs).

Despite Repeated Warnings

Tug Of War

The Pound Is Sinking

Put It There

Flaming Pie

Deep Deep Feeling

Scared

Wanderlust

Come On To Me

Early Days

• Here's my XTC one. Mozo I'm aiming to sidestep yours (I'd love to include Seagulls and Pale) and while I agree about Andy Partridge's writing I'm going to show Colin Moulding more love than you did.

Love At First Sight

The Meeting Place

Yacht Dance

Runaways

Wrapped In Grey

I Remember The Sun

River Of Orchids

Beating Of Hearts

Boarded Up

Your Gold Dress

Your Dictionary

Wake Up

The challenge is now on for foxfeeder to come up with a third album of different tracks.

Abandon all reason

• Because XTC were one of those bands who had such an abundance of b-sides I've done an album of some:

Tissue Tigers

A Dictionary Of Modern Marriage

Washaway

Egyptian Solution

Smokeless Zone

Pulsing Pulsing

Dance With Me Germany

Red Brick Dream

Blame The Weather

Gold

Dear God

Don't Lose Your Temper

Abandon all reason

• I have not explored enough XTC albums, so this is great for me.

• This is also great. But isn't Dear God fairly well known? I had heard the song and seen the video long before I heard the whole album.

Thanks also for your other list. More to explore.

• These are also great. Before They Make Me Run was my alternative option for a Some Girls selection.

• I detect a particular emphasis on the Tug of War album, which is one of my favourites. That said, how could you leave out What's That You're Doing? A far superior collaboration with Stevie Wonder than the other one they did on that album.

• This is also great. But isn't Dear God fairly well known? I had heard the song and seen the video long before I heard the whole album.

I did hesitate over it and felt it might be a bit of a cheat but as I knew it originally as a b-side, and like almost everything post-Settlement here in the UK they're practically invisible, I plumped for including it. But I am aware it gained a fair bit of traction in the US. I think it may have subsequently become an a-side on one side if not both sides of the pond. So yeah I'm probably slightly off-piste there.

By 'album' you presumably mean Skylarking but again, I never knew it as a track on that - I think it was addeed to later editions as a result of its popularity. Consider 'Jump' (a Mummer b-side) as a replacement.

Yes if you feel you need to explore more XTC my and Mozo's lists are a good primer.

Abandon all reason

• A footnote to XTC: in my list, Your Dictionary is one of the saddest songs they ever did. It's a reflection of the breakup of Andy Partridge's marriage, and while (very) grimly humorous in a way, it's acidly despondent. But it poses an interesting question: would it get airplay, indeed has it ever had any? I wonder because it spells out words that are generally unbroadcastable, but doesn't actually say them.

Abandon all reason

• I detect a particular emphasis on the Tug of War album, which is one of my favourites. That said, how could you leave out What's That You're Doing? A far superior collaboration with Stevie Wonder than the other one they did on that album.

Yes. I love Tug Of War; my second favourite album by him after Band On The Run (although that is tecnhically with Wings. I am very fond of What's That Your Doing but it didn't seem to fit well with my other choices! Maybe another list by Paul is in order.

• Here you go Dr John. A McCartney album which opens with What's That Your Doing:

What's That You're Doing

Temporary Secretary (I saw him play this song)

You Want Her Too

On My Way To Work

Get Out Of My Way

That Day Is Done

Confidante

Somedays

Slidin'

I Don't Know

Calico Skies

These are all arbitrary. If I were to try the Wings stuff, most of it would be Band On The Run, but here goes;

Old Siam Sir (I have always loved this song).

Spirits Of Ancient Egypt

Beware My Love

Mamunia

Don't Let It Bring You Down

No Words

I've Had Enough

Every Night

Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)

Treat Her Gently/Lonely Old People