Create an album of lesser-known gems by any artist

• Listing them chronologically saves time & isn't revealing preferences.

I suppose Led Zeppelin's catalogue is one of the most familiar of all. Nevertheless....

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)_

Tangerine

That's The Way

Misty Mountain Hop (you can't leave IV out. This is slighly less familiar than the other songs).

The Ocean

Houses Of The Holy

Night Flight

Tea For One

I'm Gonna Crawl

Wearing & Tearing

• My favourite band from a previous lifetime, the Eagles, in which I set out to prove that they had many great songs which were not sung by Don Henley (althoug King Of Hollywood is a co lead. By the time of The Long Run he was singing practically every song).

Chug All Night

Train Leaves Here This Morning

Out Of Control

Certain Kind Of Fool

James Dean

Ol '55

Too Many Hands

Pretty Maids All In A Row

Try & Love Again

King Of Hollywood

The Girl From Yesterday

Somebody

It's Your World Now

• Listing them chronologically saves time & isn't revealing preferences.

As the original suggestion was to suggest an album of lesser-known stuff, I default to thinking of a pleasing track sequence that'd make a good album with nice shape and flow. For me, chron sequences are never that.

Abandon all reason

• I suppose Led Zeppelin's catalogue is one of the most familiar of all. Nevertheless....

Wearing & Tearing

Wearing and Tearing is such a fun song - it shouldn't have been relegated to Coda.

Love Train Leaves Here This Morning. I would also add Midnight Flyer to your collection.

• Another favourite artist for me is The Band. Although they have great original songs, they also have many unique takes on covers, often in live performances:

Ain't No More Cane

Long Black Veil

When You Awake

Rockin' Chair
    The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show

Daniel and the Sacred Harp

When I Paint My Masterpiece

Don't Do It (live)

(I Don't Want to) Hang Up My Rock 'n' Roll Shoes (live)

Acadian Driftwood
    Georgia On My Mind

Atlantic City

• My favourite band, the Moody Blues, here are some you have likely never heard, totals about 45 minutes:

The Day We Meet Again

Lovely To See You

Bless the Wings (That Bring You Back)

Are You Sitting Comfortably

The Swallow

The Actor

Deep

Out & In

Don't You Feel Small

Lost In A Lost World

Melancholy Man (“This Is The Moody Blues” version)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• My second favourite band, Cock Robin. Led by principle songwriter Peter Kingsbery (only about 5 of their songs are not solely by him), from Pheonix, Arizona, who studies classical music at uni, and was briefly Brenda Lee's piano player, the band has included Lou Molino III (Tubes/Yes), Brit Clive Wright (frequent collaborator with Harold Budd) and Pat Mastelotto. I shall include tracks from his solo albums, as, being also written by him, they differ only in that he varies the instruments used more, with accordian, oud, and the like, turning up, which wouldn't happen with band albums.

His writing is out of the ordinary, often written from the point of view of others, and rarely fails to be interesting. I will include descriptions with some:

After here Through Midland (CR) (A different take on a Mexican crossing the border to “Illegal Alien”)

Manzanar (CR) (from the viewpoint of Japanese Americans interred during WW2, Manzanar was one such camp.)

Sorry For Myself (PK)

There's No Magic To It (PK)

Bishop Gaillot (PK) (About the controversial French cleric)

The Long Last Second (PK)

A Natural Affair (CR) (A newborn baby's thoughts on it's mother and situation)

Caught In Your Stream (CR) (Your PC's view of it's relationship with you)

Connected (CR) (The hopes of someone about to be cryogenically frozen until a cure is found)

Lasso (CR) (who's more important, the person holding the rope, or the rope?)

Ian

• As the original suggestion was to suggest an album of lesser-known stuff, I default to thinking of a pleasing track sequence that'd make a good album with nice shape and flow. For me, chron sequences are never that.

I know what you mean. It's just not that easy to think these things through. Perhaps I will try it for the next one I do.

• I'm surprised you've included Lost In A Lost World - I thought that was well known! And I know Deep! I have the Sur La Mer album! I like Vintage Wine from that album.

• I'm surprised you've included Lost In A Lost World - I thought that was well known! And I know Deep! I have the Sur La Mer album! I like Vintage Wine from that album.

I don't think it is well known? Never a single, never played live AFAIK.

Ian

• I don't think it is well known? Never a single, never played live AFAIK.

I agree.

There are four songs from Seventh Sojourn that I think may be relatively well known to casual fans — but I wouldn't include Lost In A Lost World among them.

• I know we already have an Eagles entry, but here is mine:

Take the Devil

Bitter Creek

Midnight Flyer

My Man

Good Day in Hell

Hollywood Waltz

Journey of the Sorcerer

Wasted Time Reprise

Victim of Love

Those Shoes

The Last Resort

I Wish You Peace

• As the original suggestion was to suggest an album of lesser-known stuff, I default to thinking of a pleasing track sequence that'd make a good album with nice shape and flow. For me, chron sequences are never that.

It is also hard for me to think of all the songs without looking through my CDs chronologically. I will try to re-order them in a more pleasing sequence in the future.

• Van Morrison is among my favourite artists, and yet likely the one I would least want to meet in person.

His output of the last 20 years could justifiably be described as spotty, but for a long-time devotee I find there are usually at least one or two tracks per album that really stand out and make it worthwhile for me.

Here would be my compilation of Van’s best songs from 2000 to the present. It would be just a little more than 70 minutes long.

Down The Road

Going Down To Monte Carlo

Dark Night Of The Soul

Little Village

Caledonia Swing

Duper's Delight

Magic Time

They Sold Me Out

Celtic New Year

Only A Dream

Steal My Heart Away

That's Entrainment

Somerset

Behind The Ritual

• That's good, mostly (I can't stand I Wish You Peace) but why Wasted Time Reprise?

• I wanted to make a list of Prince gems, but were too famous. :/

The Morning Papers

Money Don't Matter Tonight

Joy in Repetition

Still Would Stand All Time

Anna Stesia

Strange Relationship

Anotherloverholenyohead

Condition of the Heart

Free

Do Me, Baby

Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

• I wanted to make a list of Prince gems, but were too famous.

Nice idea and some good ones in your list, I'm going to have a go later along with a couple of other acts that haven't come up yet.

He was so prolific, with so much good stuff on each album, it's actually pretty easy to put a list together

Abandon all reason