Create an album of lesser-known gems by any artist

• Beatles This Boy.

Pink Floyd Fat Old Sun

Who So Sad About Us

Prince Erotic City

Moody Blues Lost in A Lost World

For me a weak song is a song too similar to another, for example the beat music.

• Do you mean songs that are derivative of other songs, not as original? Certainly some songs I have listed are not musically unique.

This Boy uses a fairly standard progression and 12/8 feel, but then many great songs from this era used the same chord progressions again and again. What distinguishes a song for me is more the emotion and feel and I think This Boy has that in spades, particularly John's singing in the bridge.

So Sad About Us uses a very similar chord progression and, at least to me, seems a bit derivative of The Byrds, but I still find the melody winning and Keith Moon's drumming propels it to a higher level.

I don't find Erotic City sounds like much else other than Prince. It is sort of similar to other Prince songs from the era, but I still find its feel different enough to be worth it to me.

• Ok, I got it! :thumbup:

• Flaming Lips

Sleeping on the Roof

Feeling Yourself Disintegrate

A Spoonful Weighs a Ton

Up Above the Daily Hum

Approaching Pavonis Mons by Balloon (Utopia Planitia)

Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell

Are You a Hypnotist??

My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion

The Gold in the Mountain of Our Madness

Is The Black At The End Good?

• Camel

Ice.

Stationary Traveller.

Lady Fantasy.

Preparation.

The Hour Candle.

Fox Hill.

Gods of Light

Aristillus.

Chord Change.

Another Night.

Lunar Sea.

Rajaz.

Sahara.

Lawrence

• As an aside, Days of Future Passed - Live, the 2017 concert is on Sky Arts tonight, Sat 24th at 11.45pm.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• OK, here is my entry for The Police:

Next to You

Omegaman

I Burn For You

Man In a Suitcase

Murder By Numbers

Hole In My Life

Voices Inside My Head

Invisible Sun

Demolition Man

Tea In the Sahara

• Madonna:

History

Nobody Knows Me

Voices

Bye Bye Baby

Sky Fits Heaven

XStatic Process

I Love New York

Candy Perfume Girl

Ghosttown

Intervention

I'm So Stupid

I'm Addicted

Swim

Future Lovers

Abandon all reason

• I've been listening to a lot of Bee Gees recently (I was fortunate enough to see them twice). Most of the music I own by them is Main Course and after - so this will lean more towards that than their 60s songs. I can defend chronological order for some artists, but not here.

Wind Of Change

Man In The Middle

Another Lonely Night In New York

It's My Neighbourhood

You'll Never See My Face Again

And The Sun Will Shine

Railroad

King & Country

Cryin' Every Day

Overnight

Wildflower

Tokyo Nights

Three of those are sung by Maurice, who never got the recognition he deserved (they are Man In The Middle, Railroad & Wildflower).

• That album is her absolute peak. She did plenty of good stuff since but never again produced an album that gelled so well as a whole (Confessions came closest)

Totally agree. Forbidden Love on Confessions is another favorite for me. But yeah, Ray of Light is just brilliant

• Suede (been thinking about this one a long while. Their lesser known songs and b-sides are of such uniformly high quality that I could choose any random set of them and be satisfied myself with it. Of these songs, I find 'Crackhead' notable because the singer was in the throes of a *really* bad crack addiction and it's the most primal howl against one's own addiction I know of - I'm sure there are others out there). My Dark Star is my favorite song (ever, by anyone).

Jubilee

My Dark Star

Read My Mind

The 2 of Us

Whipsnade

That Boy On The Stage

Crackhead

Poor Little Rich Girl

Leaving

Heroine

Shadow Self

Down