Create an album of lesser-known gems by any artist

• By 'album' you presumably mean Skylarking but again, I never knew it as a track on that - I think it was added to later editions as a result of its popularity. Consider 'Jump' (a Mummer b-side) as a replacement.

Yes, I didn't get Skylarking until years after its release - the CD includes Dear God.

A footnote to XTC: in my list, Your Dictionary is one of the saddest songs they ever did. It's a reflection of the breakup of Andy Partridge's marriage, and while (very) grimly humorous in a way, it's acidly despondent. But it poses an interesting question: would it get airplay, indeed has it ever had any? I wonder because it spells out words that are generally unbroadcastable, but doesn't actually say them.

I love the song and don't know if it ever got airplay. Clever and poignant.

• Thank you! Also love all the collaborations with Elvis Costello, including You Want Her Too and particularly That Day Is Done.

I tend to think of his Wings output the same as his solo output - I even file them all in the same spot. I know there are a few writing contributions from other members, but for the most part it is still him as the main artist.

• Simple Minds. I've focused on my favourite period of theirs by far, the first five albums. I could do at least one more whole album drawn from this phase.

Calling Your Name

Thirty Frames A Second

Sons And Fascination

No Cure

Today I Died Again

Sweat In Bullet

Real To Real

King Is White And In The Crowd

Sad Affair

Capital City

Theme For Great Cities

Changeling

Abandon all reason

• Another band whose early period I don't know that well. I got into Simple Minds primarily with Sparkle In the Rain. More stuff to explore.

• Another band whose early period I don't know that well. I got into Simple Minds primarily with Sparkle In the Rain. More stuff to explore.

The first album (two of which are on my list) is quite punky in feel but from the second album they became much more electro/new-wave/synthy. In 2012 they did a tour playing only stuff from the first 5 albums and it was absolute bliss for me, the best SM gig I've seen. Those albums are an intrinsic part of my teenage music listening. Changeling sums it all up for me which is why I gave it pride of place as my 'album' closer.

Abandon all reason