new release of BBC shows from ‘72, plus extra songs, at Burning Shed

• These recordings have been available elsewhere for a while, but apparently they are newly remastered and all together in one collection - and can be pre-ordered at Burning Shed to boot (no pun intended) :

https://burningshed.com/genesis_watcher-of-the-skies_cd

If you don’t already have these recordings and/or prefer factory-pressed CDs, here’s your chance to get them.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

Edited once, last by OneForTheVine ().

• Is this likely to be the same material that Nick Davis was recently teasing us with re a forthcoming release?

• These recordings have been available elsewhere for a while, but apparently they are newly remastered and all together in one collection - and can be pre-ordered at Burning Shed to boot (no pun intended) :

https://burningshed.com/genesis_watcher-of-the-skies_cd

If you don’t already have these recordings and/or prefer factory-pressed CDs, here’s your chance to get them.

If I were twilight alehouse I think I'd be a little ticked off at their description of me.

• Is this likely to be the same material that Nick Davis was recently teasing us with re a forthcoming release?

The most honest answer I can give is that I don’t know. I started this new thread instead of posting in the other thread about archival live releases is that I couldn’t figure out if this release was part of the promised releases.

However, Foxfeeder’s detective work in the other thread about the catalogue number certainly seems to suggest that this release is most probably one of the releases Nick talked about. (And with that in mind, if Christian or someone else from the moderation team wants to fold this thread in with the other one, I wouldn’t mind that at all. It would probably be more efficient that way, if this release is part of the releases Nick talked about previously.)

• However, Foxfeeder’s detective work in the other thread about the catalogue number certainly seems to suggest that this release is most probably one of the releases Nick talked about. (And with that in mind, if Christian or someone else from the moderation team wants to fold this thread in with the other one, I wouldn’t mind that at all. It would probably be more efficient that way, if this release is part of the releases Nick talked about previously.)

All the discussion at the Steve Hoffman forums suggest that this is NOT one of the released Nick talked about.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv…859/page-25#post-31039711

• Official Post

The most honest answer I can give is that I don’t know. I started this new thread instead of posting in the other thread about archival live releases is that I couldn’t figure out if this release was part of the promised releases.

However, Foxfeeder’s detective work in the other thread about the catalogue number certainly seems to suggest that this release is most probably one of the releases Nick talked about. (And with that in mind, if Christian or someone else from the moderation team wants to fold this thread in with the other one, I wouldn’t mind that at all. It would probably be more efficient that way, if this release is part of the releases Nick talked about previously.)

I have added a statement about this in the other thread.

Why should this be from the work Nick Davis has hinted?

1) he spoke about a 5CD-set, not a 2CD

2) Genesis would have made an announcement

3) the cover image is awful - even Genesis wouldn't come up with something like this

4) the Genesis font is really ... well...

5) Genesis have existing publishing deals, and those are with Universal.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• 3) R-kive?

4) The font is a font. I guess those straws won't clutch themselves.

5) Individual recordings can have individual rights, as long as any publishing/performance rights are paid to the parties concerned, anyone who strikes up a deal to issue said recordings can release what they want, eg/Jonjo and his many versions of the first album, or Demon Records issues of Steve's Nottingham concert.

Very flattered by the "detective work" comments, but that's way wide of the mark. I was wrong to invoke the Concord/Apollo arrangement, it almost certainly has no involvement, unless a deal has been struck with Peter and Steve, which seems unlikely.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Well, this whole topic has generated FAR more attention than I thought it would! ^^

I’ll add a few details as to why I posted this here in the first place. If I had discovered this release on Amazon, I wouldn’t have posted it here at all. However, since it was on Burning Shed, that made me think that the appropriate due diligence had been undertaken and, thus, this was an official-ish release. With the extra discussion posted so far, this now seems to be quite doubtful.

I promise I made this post with the best intentions! 😄 I completely agree that the artwork is disappointingly amateurish. I’m still quite curious as to who did the new remastering for this release, though - if Nick didn’t do it, who did? 🤷‍♂️

Edited once, last by OneForTheVine ().

• Well, this whole topic has generated FAR more attention than I thought it would! ^^

I’ll add a few details as to why I posted this here in the first place. If I had discovered this release on Amazon, I wouldn’t have posted it here at all. However, since it was on Burning Shed, that made me think that the appropriate due diligence had been undertaken and, thus, this was an official-ish release. With the extra discussion posted so far, this now seems to be quite doubtful.

I promise I made this post with the best intentions! 😄 I completely agree that the artwork is disappointingly amateurish. I’m still quite curious as to who did the new remastering for this release, though - if Nick didn’t do it, who did? 🤷‍♂️

It IS on Amazon (UK), but given the amount of cheap Chinese tat they sell these days, I have more faith in Burning Shed!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I’m still quite curious as to who did the new remastering for this release, though - if Nick didn’t do it, who did? 🤷‍♂️

I may well be wrong but I believe Nick mainly does remixing, as opposed to remastering?

Indeed that was where the 5.1 versions went pear shaped: Nick's rather good remixing was wrecked by extreme compression in the remastering process that he had no involvement in.

• I may well be wrong but I believe Nick mainly does remixing, as opposed to remastering?

Indeed that was where the 5.1 versions went pear shaped: Nick's rather good remixing was wrecked by extreme compression in the remastering process that he had no involvement in.

Also, the primary reason for the boxsets was the surround versions. Reducing the six channels to two for the stereo versions creates the possibility for compressed sound if it isn’t done carefully. Yes, Nick ought to have been involved in the mastering process as well back then.

The reason I brought up the mastering for this release is that, in order to do a new remastering, one would have to have the master tapes. If the person who remastered this upcoming release had the tapes, he must have had permission to have them - unless we somehow know that he obtained them illegally. So, if the person remastering had the tapes (assuming no crime has been committed) and this person had permission to have them, that would make this release at least semi-legitimate. I just wonder if there is any way to find this information out for certain and not draw potentially false conclusions in the mean time.

• This is clearly another grey market release, exploiting the 50 year copyright duration of broadcast material, in the UK at least. This is almost certainly a direct copy of existing bootleg material but as it exceeds the 50 year ruling it's legal for outlets like Burning Shed and Amazon to stock it as presumably nobody has bothered to renew the copyright, unlike for example Pink Floyd by putting all those 1972 boots up for streaming and download recently. Personally I'm a bit disappointed in Burning Shed selling releases like these which skirt around the borders of legality but essentially the labels involved are just companies making money out of material they don't own the rights to and have not paid to licence. Dubiously legal but a bootleg under any other name.

• The reason I brought up the mastering for this release is that, in order to do a new remastering, one would have to have the master tapes.

But is it really a new remastering? The Burning Shed website just says digitally remastered, so I'm not certain that the master tapes would be needed to cobble together this dodgy release.

Either way, I definitely won't be buying it.