Songs I'm Afraid to Admit I Don't Like

• After having been around this forum and others, having been a fan for 35 +years and having numerous conversations with Genesis fans, I'm coming clean...There a handful of songs out there that I feel like the vast majority of Genesis fans adore, but I, quite honestly, don't like those songs. So here's my list. Feel free to knock me in any way you wish. I'm free of this burden :)

Mad Man Moon-Maybe I just don't get it, but I think this song is a downer. Other than that section in the middle where the tempo picks up, this song is largely forgettable for me.

Chamber of 32 Doors-I actually used to think this was a pretty good song, but comparing it with the rest of the music on the Lamb, not that great of a song.

Open Door-Always one of those songs that folks think should have replaced Please Don't Ask or Alone Tonight on Duke. Honestly, I think it's slightly better than PDA and a push with Alone Tonight and those are the weakest tracks on Duke IMO

Many Too Many-Seems to be loved by a lot of folks, just never did anything for me.

Does anyone else feel this way about any Genesis songs? Use this thread as an "airing of the grievances" and we'll get through this together. ^^

I also reserve the right to change my opinion on any of these songs at any point in the future...

• hmm, well apart from Mad Man Moon I actually largely agree.

Open Door in particular is pretty weak. No discernible tune. Chamber I mostly like, it's just the "I'd rather trust a country man..." bits that feel a bit corny to me. Many too Many is pleasant but Undertow is much, much better.

Mad Man Moon though... what the hell is wrong with you?? :)

My choice would be Home by the Sea. I like the instrumental part, but the lyrics really let it down for me. It's supposed to be this spooky ghost story, but it just seems like someone describing a visit to an old people's home (by the sea) where the inmates bore the narrator by showing him old photos and talking about their lives all day.

• Funnily enough I was having the exact conversation with an old mate on WhatsApp this morning. Well done you for starting this thread! Here’s my confession. I’m steeling myself for the backlash as I type.

1.The Knife - fan favourite but why... when you’ve got Stagnation? I can’t help thinking it’s to do with the fact that it was the track with which the band used to close their live set. The powerful effect of the rip tide of history.

2. Get ‘em out by Friday - Ridiculous lyrical content that a 10 year old could better. Musically at odds with an otherwise top class album.

3. Dance on a volcano - Quirky time signature that titillated my teenage ear but now simply irritates me beyond belief.

Ps. I have to disagree with you about Mad Man Moon, but I’ll refrain from locking horns with you in respect to the title of the thread. 🙏

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• Blimey, there's three choices I wouldn't have expected. Can kind of understand Get 'em Out, it is a quirky story-song like Battle of Epping Forest - not to everyone's taste. But I find the lyrics quite amusing, and quite affecting - they feel like the beginning of Peter's concern for human rights. Certainly 10x better than the embarrassing lyrics to Time Table.

And Dance on a Volcano?? That opening riff? It's peerless. No other 70s band could pull off something that strange and that brilliant, and still be so strongly melodic. Not even Yes or King Crimson.

The Knife and Stagnation - well, you are allowed to like both you know! I think most people like The Knife because it's a powerful, dramatic proto-metal tune. I know people who like this song by Genesis, and this song only! I love Ant Phillips' playing on this - beautifully instinctive and untutored. Naive but powerfully expressive.

• Two of my top 10 are in previous posts, including my favourite Genesis song., I won't say what it is yet but the criticism is interesting.

The only Genesis song I can really say that I'm not all that enthused about is Man Of Our Times. I find it boring.

• Blimey, there's three choices I wouldn't have expected. Can kind of understand Get 'em Out, it is a quirky story-song like Battle of Epping Forest - not to everyone's taste. But I find the lyrics quite amusing, and quite affecting - they feel like the beginning of Peter's concern for human rights. Certainly 10x better than the embarrassing lyrics to Time Table.

And Dance on a Volcano?? That opening riff? It's peerless. No other 70s band could pull off something that strange and that brilliant, and still be so strongly melodic. Not even Yes or King Crimson.

The Knife and Stagnation - well, you are allowed to like both you know! I think most people like The Knife because it's a powerful, dramatic proto-metal tune. I know people who like this song by Genesis, and this song only! I love Ant Phillips' playing on this - beautifully instinctive and untutored. Naive but powerfully expressive.

...and so it begins 😂😂😂

• Mad Man Moon though... what the hell is wrong with you?? :)

Ha! This is how I feel though seeing all the love this song gets. WTH is wrong with me? Why don't I get this song? It isn't for lack of trying, I've spun this tune about a half dozen times in the last month and I'm still not seeing it. I'm hoping someday this one will just click.

• Great replies!

To address a few of the others...

Get em Out By Friday-Not a fan of this one. Shame they didn't replace this with Stagnation on the Foxtrot tour

DOAV-I mentioned this in another post, but the context of the opening to that song is really one of Genesis' most powerful moments as a band. But it's really two songs. I was so enamored by the intro that it took me a while that the rest of the song didn't really measure up to it.

HBTS-I find the live versions of this song (both parts) work really well. The album version pales in comparison. And the lyrics really do need the intro Phil gives it live.

MOOT-Another one I guess I don't get. I remember having this conversation with a friend of mine ages ago. He was a lover of MOOT and I'm like, dude, Duke's Travels/Duke's End? ^^

• Burning Rope, Calling All Stations and The Knife seem to be frequently hailed as one of the best, if not, THE BEST songs off their respective albums.

I don’t mind any of them but for me they're closer to the bottom – and in the case of The Knife, it’s actually my least favourite song on Trespass.

• I'd have to choose Snowbound. It's clear to me they had a hard time writing lyrics for this entire album, but in the is case both the music and lyrics are pretty lackluster.

I don’t think Snowbound will surprise anyone. It is widely viewed as a bit, well, saccharin

• DOAV-I mentioned this in another post, but the context of the opening to that song is really one of Genesis' most powerful moments as a band.

Oh, I realise I’m swimming against the tide of popular opinion here and I was struck with its difference back in my teenage years but now I simply find it, well, jerky...spasmodic... Shostakovich on a bad hair day!

Edited once, last by Gabble Ratchet ().

• And BTW, I'm not trying to convince anyone here. Just friendly discussion and hopefully we can all still grab a beer afterwards.

And BTW, I'm not trying to convince anyone here. Just friendly discussion and hopefully we can all still grab a beer afterwards.

After you dumped on MadManMoon????!!!!!! How dare you!?^^^^^^ Seriously though, I don't think anyone can be convinced to like or dislike a song.

Back in the days, when even my love ballads had to be in 7/8, I would admit that had trouble saying out loud that I actually liked FYFM.

• So many of the songs mentioned here are ones I love ^^

There are none that I truly dislike, but some I like less than others. My big one is In the Cage. It's a fine song, but I don't see what the huge fuss is about.

ITC is an interesting one. Not the best piece off the Lamb and probably not on par with similar songs from previous albums like Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Watcher, Hogweed and such. I do think ITC benefited from being a part of the live set for so long. I also have a soft place in my heart for ITC as it was my intro to "old" Genesis on Three Sides Live.

• After you dumped on MadManMoon????!!!!!! How dare you!?^^^^^^ Seriously though, I don't think anyone can be convinced to like or dislike a song.

Back in the days, when even my love ballads had to be in 7/8, I would admit that had trouble saying out loud that I actually liked FYFM.

I'm starting to think I may have desecrated a sacred cow here, haha. Guess I'll have to buy the beer to remain in good graces 8)

Maybe there's another post of "Songs that you're afraid to admit you like" I have a few of those as well :)

• One for the Vine is a song that many seem to view as one of Tony's better compositions. I just can't get into it. The lyric/story for me is kind of obvious and does nothing for me. Musically it just seems to wander aimless, particularly the melody of the verses. There are a couple of bits I like, particularly the outro. But a lot the rest of it feels stitched together rather than flowing organically.

• I'm starting to think I may have desecrated a sacred cow here, haha. Guess I'll have to buy the beer to remain in good graces 8)

Maybe there's another post of "Songs that you're afraid to admit you like" I have a few of those as well :)

Not a problem really, I am a bit odd about those things, I hapen to love MMM but I wouldn't probably say

I'm starting to think I may have desecrated a sacred cow here, haha. Guess I'll have to buy the beer to remain in good graces 8)

It's quite OK, there shouldn't be any holy cows , as far as I am concerned but yes, definitely, beer is on you :) Personally, I love MMM although I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best song on the album. Still, I think it's great, the piano intro is beautiful and poignant, verse and chorus extremely solid and melodic although not in trite way, the instrumental bridge is brilliant, and the lyrics very much resonate with me. It's quintessentially Tony and Tony imo has always been the soul and backbone of Genesis.

There are then, songs I love, although I would be the first to acknowledge they are quite flawed, case in point BOEF. They really overdid it there and the song s far too busy but some bits are again sheer brilliance and that makes me love it.

• I hate Many To Many. Really. I can`t stand it. I always skip it, when I listen to And Then There Were Three.

And also Say It`s Alright, Joe.

These really suck.

First we learned to walk on water.

Then we tried something harder.

- Red Seven -