Songs I'm Afraid to Admit I Don't Like

• I’ve never really liked The Musical Box. I don’t think it’s very interesting until the final “she’s a lady” section. And even then, I prefer when Collins did it during the Old Medley on The Way We Walk.

• I’ve never really liked The Musical Box. I don’t think it’s very interesting until the final “she’s a lady” section. And even then, I prefer when Collins did it during the Old Medley on The Way We Walk.

That's some confession!

Makes me feel better about not being massive on Supper's Ready - though having seen G2 do it live last week I see more in it.

I have never been a big fan of the earlier part of the song, particularly the verses. I do like it when the instrumental kicks in, particularly on Genesis Live. The end is also my favourite section. Although I recognize that Peter's rendering is more accurate in terms of the character of the old man, musically I find his shaky vocal less satisfying. I prefer the power of the Seconds Out version. TWWW version isn't bad, but Phil isn't nailing the A#s anymore.

• I have never been a big fan of the earlier part of the song, particularly the verses. I do like it when the instrumental kicks in, particularly on Genesis Live. The end is also my favourite section. Although I recognize that Peter's rendering is more accurate in terms of the character of the old man, musically I find his shaky vocal less satisfying. I prefer the power of the Seconds Out version. TWWW version isn't bad, but Phil isn't nailing the A#s anymore.

Isn't nailing the what? I don't know about you, but I saw them three times on that tour and every time they performed The Musical Box Phil knocked it right out of the ballpark.

• Isn't nailing the what? I don't know about you, but I saw them three times on that tour and every time they performed The Musical Box Phil knocked it right out of the ballpark.

With the only exception of Carpet Crawler, none of Phil's rendition of Peter's songs on Seconds Out works for me The Musical Box particularly sounds really anonymous, without character to my ears . Phil does a fine job but no more than that, he doesn't sound really convincing. Ha lacks the power, the grit, he personality, the theatrics a lead singer should have and his voice is far too pure for that song and others. I am sure it would have been a whole different story on 3SL, the way he delivered of in the Cage there is otherworldly and he could have nailed any other Peter's song brilliantly, but on Second Out he is really not quite there imo and the result is bland.

• I’m not that keen on Mama which is amazing as I’m a ‘Philly boy’ - one of those fans who discovered Genesis via Phil Collins

Funny ... I came here to write that I despise Mama. I've never been part of a Genesis forum until now, and I never would have guessed that Mama was so loved.

That laugh ... ugh.

But then again, aside from Silver Rainbow, I don't like anything from the eponymous album.

• Funny ... I came here to write that I despise Mama. I've never been part of a Genesis forum until now, and I never would have guessed that Mama was so loved.

That laugh ... ugh.

But then again, aside from Silver Rainbow, I don't like anything from the eponymous album.

For me, 'Shapes' is their most consistent album since A Trick of the Tail. It's by no means one of my favourites, as less consistent albums such as Duke and ATTWT have better high points, but overall it;s only really Illegal Alien that lets it down.

• For me, 'Shapes' is their most consistent album since A Trick of the Tail. It's by no means one of my favourites, as less consistent albums such as Duke and ATTWT have better high points, but overall it;s only really Illegal Alien that lets it down.

Taste aside, Trick is packed with Genesis classics, songs that really stand out in their songbook and define the band. I personally struggle to find any song fulfilling those criteria on the the second side of Shapes. One can of course like them but in the grand scheme of things, I would say they left no trace.

• Yeah, Trick is an absolute classic. The first side is perfect mid period Genesis, and side 2 is dan near perfect. The title track is relatively weak IMO, but Ripples and Los Endos blow me away every time.

• That laugh ... ugh.

That laugh is imo pure genius and it fits the song perfectly, conveying the madness and sickness of the character Phil was playing, because singing is more than hitting the notes and carrying the tunes. Something Peter knew and did innately and Phil, by Shapes, mastered.

• That laugh is imo pure genius and it fits the song perfectly, conveying the madness and sickness of the character Phil was playing, because singing is more than hitting the notes and carrying the tunes. Something Peter knew and did innately and Phil, by Shapes, mastered.

The laugh is wonderful but what about the 'aow' part right after it?

• Mama is one that would have been on this list for me. That is until I saw it live on the Turn It On Again tour. The song was so dark and heavy and loud. I remember the background of the stage being a blood red. Just a powerful moment. Up until that point, it was just an "eh" song for me. Not any more. It clicked for me that night.

• The laugh is wonderful but what about the 'aow' part right after it?

Again I think it fits the song. Phil plays a slightly deranged guy obsessed with a hooker. It can't possibly be nice, can it? They guy is clearly not well and Phil delivers that perfectly. His best vocal performance with Genesis imo.

• I'm with you there. Although I do like "Afterglow" I think it works better on their live albums, Seconds Out and Three Sides Live. The rhythm shift in the second half of the verses is nice, and you won't hear that on Wind & Wuthering.

• With one or two exceptions, weren't he and Rutherford responsible for all of the music?

No, it was very much a group effort. Perhaps Steve didn't contribute quite so much - he has said the album happened "despite [him] not because of [him]" - but certainly Tony, Phil and Mike were at the forefront when it came to jamming on the music. Peter made significant contributions to the music, too, as he wrote the vocal lines for most of the songs.

• Also wanted to stick up for Man of Our Times (which I think is generally not well liked, so perhaps doesn't fit this discussion anyway).

Phil's performance is incredible. It's the first time on record he matches the strident power of Gabriel for me. The repetitive/hypnotic/head-banging synthesizer riff also makes me think of Back in NYC. I think it's classy art-rock, and I wouldn't have Duke without it.

Regarding MOOT I have just read Mike's book. Even he doesn't like it & he wrote it. I felt justified. I must give it another chance.