Leland Sklar or Nathan East

• Phil has been pretty consistent over the years with the core of his touring musicians, the bigger changes typically being around the horn section and backing vocalists. The one time he did mix it up was when touring Both Sides; out went Chester and Leland Sklar, in came Ricky Lawson and Nathan East.

I'm guessing there will be more love for Chester than Ricky, given the former's long history with Genesis, but I'd be interested to know either who people felt was the better bassist or who they just prefer between Lee and Nathan.

As a former bassist of no real talent, I have no particular insight into their respective skills and love and admire both of them as bassists and, from what little I know of them, as people. If I had to pick one I'd go for....probably.....Nathan East. I've long been a fan of Eric Clapton and have seen a lot more of him, but then I've probably heard more of Lee, without even knowing it, given the thousands of sessions he's worked on.

More than happy for this thread to extend into Brad Cole or Peter Robinson too if anyone has a strong opinion on that...I'd go Brad!

(Total respect to Mo Foster and Nic Collins too, just went with those he's toured with more than once.)

• I love both the playing style of both Leland and Nathan and they always look as though they're having the best of times when they're up on stage. I'm really not sure I can pick between the two. Sorry!

I'd add John Giblin (from Brand X) and Mo Foster to the list of great bass players with whom Phil has played.

Chester or Ricky is much easier to answer. There were times when the power and weight that Chester brought to the music was conspicuous in its absence during the Both Sides and Dance Into The Light tours. And Chester has the distinction of being Phil's drumming partner in Genesis, too (hired without having to audition, yet).

• I love both the playing style of both Leland and Nathan and they always look as though they're having the best of times when they're up on stage. I'm really not sure I can pick between the two. Sorry!

No need to apologise, it was supposed to be tricky! I'll probably give a different answer on a different day.

I'd extend the best of times look to the whole band. Everyone always looks like they're thoroughly enjoying themselves. Everyone seems to be constantly trying to make sure the audience have the best experience possible.

• I'd extend the best of times look to the whole band. Everyone always looks like they're thoroughly enjoying themselves. Everyone seems to be constantly trying to make sure the audience have the best experience possible.

Absolutely. You'll remember the short interview with which the Perkins Palace video begins where Phil says he doesn't want to be "surrounded by a bunch of miserable people". He rehearses his band hard because he knows that you can really only enjoy yourself when you're up there if you have the song nailed. In the Ray Coleman book, Phil says that he's not aiming for perfection but for "completeness".

• Leland was filling in on bass at a Toto gig my wife and I attended awhile back. He detailed his musical background to the audience, including the years he spent touring and recording with James Taylor. Apparently, there was a period when James was not touring in 1990, and he gave his blessings to band members who might want to work with other artists during this period.

Phil Collins asked Leland to be his touring bassist that year and he accepted. While on tour with Phil, he got a call from Taylor saying he had some surprise gigs and he needed Leland to fly back home. Leland explained that he couldn't do that as he had an obligation to tour with Phil.

JT told Leland that if ge didn't fly home he would never work with him again. It broke Leland's heart to think he'd never play those JT classics again, but he stayed with Phil.

This was many years ago, so not sure if Taylor ever softened up on this.

I go for Leland over Nathan East, just because of what he gave up to tour with Phil.

• Never knew this - huge respect for Lee's integrity there. Had a quick look online and there's a bit of talk about it on an old James Taylor forum where everyone was very complimentary about Lee and said he was the best bassist Taylor ever had, and things weren't the same after they parted.

I think Lee played with Taylor and Carole King in 2010 so they must have reconnected to some degree.