PETER GABRIEL - Panopticom (Bright Side Mix) - track discussion

• Official Post

The new Peter Gabriel track is out now

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

More details (credits, lyrics) are available in our news section here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…ngle-Panopticom-n839.html

Use this thread to discuss the track, please.

• This is an odd one. I like it, it has a nice feel, it's interesting to hear quite prominent acoustic guitar sound as it's not normally associated with his work, and there is of course simply the buzz of a brand new PG track that isn't just a standalone track but prelude to a whole new album. But at the same time I feel there's some kind of gap or something lacking that I can't articulate.

Maybe it's going to take time for my excitement level to ramp up, with the rest of the album still to hear and of course the gigs.

Abandon all reason

• A nice tune but it’s too much compressed for the sound. That’s awful… I didn’t understand his choices. I hope a different mix For the album.

• A little blurb about the song from PG on Bandcamp

‘The first song is based on an idea I have been working on to initiate the creation of an infinitely expandable accessible data globe: The Panopticom. We are beginning to connect a like-minded group of people who might be able to bring this to life, to allow the world to see itself better and understand more of what’s really going on.’ -pg

Musically Panopticom drives along powered by the engine-room of long-time collaborators Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché, underpinned by haunting electronics from Brian Eno. Additional backing vocals from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath. The lyric is, in part, inspired by the extraordinary work of three groups, Forensic Architecture, Bellingcat and the Gabriel co-founded pioneering human rights organisation WITNESS.

• What worries me is that I've been waiting for a new 'proper' studio album from the great man that i'd end up loving it because it is something new. Having downloaded it and listened to it on and off over the day, I like it but is it perhaps isn't as strong as some of his other offering in the past. Still can't wait for the album. 8)

• Official Post

New stuff from the full moon series

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The fact that we heard the preview a month ago took away the surprise effect.

The only thing I don't like is that an upbeat song should always have a fast tempo and not slow and fast. :/

Edited once, last by rkive ().

• If he decides to release a new song every full moon, the album is not ready to be released...

That was my initial thought, but I suppose there may be some long tracks, which would reduce the number of months needed to release the album. However, they would have to be very long if he's going to release the whole thing before the tour starts, which would make it a six track album!

• The more I listen to the track, the more I like it. It's not the definite masterpiece but a really strong album teaser. Still wondering why this mix is called "Bright Side Mix" and not "Single Mix".

That was my initial thought, but I suppose there may be some long tracks, which would reduce the number of months needed to release the album. However, they would have to be very long if he's going to release the whole thing before the tour starts, which would make it a six track album!

he said he's sitting on a lot of new music, so I don't think it's a 7 or 8 track album .

• I suppose it all works if he is not intending to release the album until after the tour.

I like the whole full moon thing and the slow release of tracks. As long as he releases the ones he intends to play on tour on the next six months it would work out fine. Plus he can then road test them, tweak the mixes and then finish the album after the tour. However, he does talk about going to great lengths to get the track order right. I had assumed he meant he was realising them in album order but perhaps this is part of the process of sorting the order out. He does move in mysterious ways and at glacial speed so time will eventually tell.