9. 07 points - satisfactory - (2) 13%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (1) 6%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

GENESIS - The Silent Sun
    Year: 1968
    Album: From Genesis To Revelation
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks, Gabriel, Phillips, Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 2:13
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Peter Gabriel, Anthony Phillips, Mike Rutherford, Chris Stewart
    Played live: never
    Cover versions: ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: The Silent Sun is the first Genesis track to be put to your vote and discussion in 2023. At the same time it is the first single of the band - that was almost 55 years ago. And: It is also the first song ever that was "officially" heard by the band. The Silent Sun always had a shadowy existence, like the entire album, the band avoided this song on future tours.
  • I got interested in Genesis in the early '80s after hearing a few of their albums (especially DUKE). In early 1982, I went into a record store and picked up almost all of their albums at the same time. I then listened to them, in release order, as I had time. I started with a version of FGTR that had the early singles tacked on to the beginning and the end, so that the first track was the mono version of "The Silent Sun" (basically indistinguishable from the album version, but I digress).

I'll never forget that initial impression I got as the song started: "There must be some mistake... this is Genesis?"

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• I'm not into FGTR at all, but I suspect I should revisit it. Silent Sun is a nice little song. And I think there was an interview with maybe Noel Gallagher where he was going off on how brilliant one of the more obscure tracks was and saying "this shouldn't be good, it's Genesis!" or something.

Anyway, a 9 for Silent Sun.

• I think there was an interview with maybe Noel Gallagher where he was going off on how brilliant one of the more obscure tracks was and saying "this shouldn't be good, it's Genesis!"

It was NG, I don't remember him saying the "this shouldn't be good" but he certainly rhapsodised about The Conqueror, especially the piano line. He said he used the song as the template for his track Who Built The Moon.

He did his usual takedown of PC and said he had to check he wasn't on the album before deciding to like it. He's a big fan of FGTR and recommends it to anyone who'll listen. He forced it on a sceptical Johnny Marr ("Genesis? Seriously?") who then grudgingly admitted he liked it.

Regarding Silent Sun, NG said "Peter I'm telling you, I'll be having that one too!"

Abandon all reason

• I'm not into FGTR at all, but I suspect I should revisit it. Silent Sun is a nice little song. And I think there was an interview with maybe Noel Gallagher where he was going off on how brilliant one of the more obscure tracks was and saying "this shouldn't be good, it's Genesis!" or something.

Anyway, a 9 for Silent Sun.

I seem to recall he was praising "The Conqueror" which is one of at least half a dozen songs from FGTR that I actually prefer to "Silent Sun."

I rarely play the album and when I do, I find it's usually when I've been on a binge listening to Ant Phillips solo stuff, and feel like hearing something of the same but different.

EDIT: I see Backdrifter beat me to the punch by a minute, and with more details.

• He did his usual takedown of PC and said he had to check he wasn't on the album before deciding to like it.

That's what it was, thanks. Pity he's such a dick. I vaguely remember some story about him and PC holidaying in the same Spanish village or town. Somehow a plan came about for them to play a couple of songs together in a local venue but PC showed up and NG did not. Hope I have that anecdote semi-correct.

• I vaguely remember some story about him and PC holidaying in the same Spanish village or town. Somehow a plan came about for them to play a couple of songs together in a local venue but PC showed up and NG did not. Hope I have that anecdote semi-correct.

In PC's autobiog he says he was somewhere that NG also was, I think you're right it was a holiday situation, and there was a notion of possibly playing some songs. Despite being aware of Gallagher's antipathy to him, he approached him to suggest they muck in. He describes NG as being very frosty and declining, then he and his then wife started having a go, including sneering at his 'supposedly' playing guitar in a recent video of his. He laughed it off, saying it was all part of the game, and anyway sorry to bother you etc.

It's his autobiography so unsurprisingly he comes off as the better man but then, he probably is the better man (and elsewhere in the book doesn't shy away from detailing some of his own shortcomings).

NG is an odd one, he irritates me but occasionally can be funny and insightful. I initially liked Oasis but quickly tired of them, though he can clearly knock out a decent tune and some of his solo stuff is good. His apparent deviotion to FGTR is quite touching and amusing in equal measure.

Abandon all reason

• What? 55 years ago??? I think we are all getting very old ... rapidly.

My rating is 8, I like the melody, but nothing really happens here. Then again, remember they were like 17 back then ...