GENESIS - BBC Broadcasts - details, BBC archive info and evaluation

• Just to rub salt in the wound, Lindisfarne have just announced an 8 CD Live at the BBC set on pre-order!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Of course not. Why the hell would it?

Well - I didn't mean that in a positive or negative way - I just thought it was amusing that fans spend all this time carping about what is / isn't in the set, but from a more mainstream perspective, it's just a box set of good music from a classic rock band. And that, I suppose, is exactly the audience this set is aimed at.

• Well - I didn't mean that in a positive or negative way - I just thought it was amusing that fans spend all this time carping about what is / isn't in the set, but from a more mainstream perspective, it's just a box set of good music from a classic rock band. And that, I suppose, is exactly the audience this set is aimed at.

The fans carping feels like a bigger issue than it is because a tiny number of us on this board have filled a thread with carping. It'd be fair to argue that fans not on this board will have similar feelings, perhaps expressing them elsewhere but even then it's not a music publication's job to cover that in a review. In that sense, probably your last couple of comments above are accurate in that UCR quite rightly have simply taken the box set on its own merits without exploring any issues around it.

Abandon all reason

• The fans carping feels like a bigger issue than it is because a tiny number of us on this board have filled a thread with carping. It'd be fair to argue that fans not on this board will have similar feelings, perhaps expressing them elsewhere but even then it's not a music publication's job to cover that in a review. In that sense, probably your last couple of comments above are accurate in that UCR quite rightly have simply taken the box set on its own merits without exploring any issues around it.

I wasn't really referring to the review discussing the fan reaction to the set, more about the likelihood if it having similar complaints. Indeed, it wouldn't be strange for a music publication to have a view on missing material (and in fact they do mention this off hand), however I wouldn't necessarily expect the likes of UCR to delve very deeply into anything like that.

• Very positive review in Ultimate Classic Rock here:

Genesis, 'BBC Broadcasts': Album Review (ultimateclassicrock.com)

It doesn't even mention any of the fan quibbles and complaints!

To be fair, it doesn't even mention the sound quality. Most people aren't going to compare this release to the bootlegs unless you are a die hard fan. However, if this release was mixed from regular stereo recordings and not multi-tracks, then I think the quality will be about the same at best. I'm on the fence because it would have to be a far superior recording for me to want to buy this. As you can see by the packaging and booklet included, they didn't put much quality into those details.

• Okay, got hold of mine earlier this morning. And my immediate verdict is... predictably, a little bit rubbish.

I've not got the tools to do a proper audio comparison, but from the Lyceum alone I can tell you that the "As Good As Gold" bootleg is definitely superior. The official release is a little distorted in places (seemingly top end) - from a brief listen, I could tell in stuff like Duke's End and The Knife. A lot more care has been taken in the fan release.

The only plus in the comparison is that the fan release didn't do anything with One For The Vine as it was already officially available on 3SL, so I'll do a copy/paste of this new version into a playlist with the rest coming from the fan made one.

Zero difference with the Invisible Touch tour stuff, apart from the volume being a higher level on the official release. But the "fan" one of that is the entire clean BBC broadcast tape anyway!

It's nice to have all this stuff in one place, especially the Gabriel era bits, but if you're sitting on the fence... - you can get all this stuff for free, more complete and in better quality.

IMO of course!!

• I would describe the packaging as 'budget'. The box is ok, the booklet rather underwhelming, and the discs/sleeves are very plain single slip cases. Feels like a 30 quid set, not 50.

• Mine arrived this morning and I'm happy with it! It's a great set of tracks and great to see some of the less common songs included.

Though that said, I'm looking forward to Concord releasing the full concerts in due course... ;)

• Official Post

Mine arrived this morning and I'm happy with it! It's a great set of tracks and great to see some of the less common songs included.

Though that said, I'm looking forward to Concord releasing the full concerts in due course... ;)

since they now own the rights of „recorded music“, I doubt any unreleased live recording was part of the deal.

• since they now own the rights of „recorded music“, I doubt any unreleased live recording was part of the deal.

Really? Wouldn't they get the highest price for the catalog if it included anything/everything unreleased, and therefore the prospect of boosting sales by including some tidbit like a demo or a live version on reissues? So the cover, or little description on Amazon or whatever, now has "new for 2023, containing the previously unheard...!!" bit included. Forgive my ignorance if I'm easy off base, I know little little about these matters.

• Official Post

They still have deals with universal music etc.

concord gets all royalties.

we did sum this up here

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…blishing-rights-n814.html

• I am quite disappointed. Mistakes in the booklet etc aside, but the sound is rather bad. I was hoping for some improvements based on the multitracks, but especially Lyceum and Knebworth 1992 do not sound better than bootlegs. It is just me?

• Been slowly working my way through the box since it arrived yesterday. Enjoying it for what it is, a selection of live tracks from across their history. Would I have liked at least one complete show? Yes, Lyceum would have been nice. Would I have liked a slightly different choice of Wembley tracks? Yes, Abacab and Tonight, Tonight, Tonight if deemed worthy enough for release would have been good as they are particular favourites of mine.

However, I'm getting into it and especially with the Wembley stuff I'm surprised by how atmospheric the mix is. In parts you can actually hear the crowd singing along with Phil and not just the call and response stuff. Talking of mix, there is no mention of this on the booklet despite what some of the advertising stated. So unless Nick has secretly tweaked some stuff I'm guessing everything is as broadcast by the BBC. So presumably, for the live stuff at least, either the BBC mixed it themselves from their own multitrack recording or they just got a straight stereo feed from the desk. I also presume part of the deal of using the BBC logo is that the material is effectively as is, any remixing would mean it was not as broadcast.

One thing I will ask is what does 2nd Home By The Sea sound like to anyone else. Specifically during Mike's guitar solo. Can't make my mind up if the CD is glitching, if there is a glitch on the recording or there was glitching as Mike performed the solo?