GENESIS - BBC Broadcasts - details, BBC archive info and evaluation

• I must say it's a shame they didn't include more from the 1998 show. "The Dividing Line" sounds really great!

Apparently (some? or all?) the US pressing has a misprint issue, the first two tracks are in the wrong order.

Now how can that happen?

• I must say it's a shame they didn't include more from the 1998 show. "The Dividing Line" sounds really great!

Apparently (some? or all?) the US pressing has a misprint issue, the first two tracks are in the wrong order.

Now how can that happen?

Misinformation to either the mastering studio, or the printers, at a guess!

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

Misinformation to either the mastering studio, or the printers, at a guess!

From what I've read on facebook, even the US versions were printed in Germany. If that's the case, then it's really bizarre.

• I don't think I'll get this. Not only cos it's too much (both $ and material) with all the stuff I'm busy with these days, but also cos I would've hoped for full shows.

Now, if they had released individual concerts as complete shows (as much as possible) as separate releases, then I'd be all in! But I'd be more interested in something like the grey Live boxset than this. To me that Live box was beautifully produced, remastered and assembled!

• It's good that at least these boxes were released - Burning Rope sounds great, Lyceum sounds very good too. However, full concerts have to be released. If I understood Tony Banks correctly in the interview today (although I'm not sure), he said "there won't be any new projects" but added that "the band is no longer touring". I don't know what he meant. You really don't need band members to release some "new" project- for example DVD. It's strange that they don't understand it.

• The only way to make the band (or record company) understand that there is a market for more releases is to support what they do put out.

For everyone that takes the high road and doesn't purchase a particular item it makes it even less likely that whatever "perfect" release you're holding out for will actually be considered.

I also recall how many people loudly let everyone know how they passed on the 2007 boxed sets for similar "not perfect enough" reasons. I guess they're the ones now paying four or five times the original price for them because they didn't, for whatever reason, get them back when they were $50...I have no doubt this BBC box will have a similar trajectory.

• The only way to make the band (or record company) understand that there is a market for more releases is to support what they do put out.

For everyone that takes the high road and doesn't purchase a particular item it makes it even less likely that whatever "perfect" release you're holding out for will actually be considered.

I also recall how many people loudly let everyone know how they passed on the 2007 boxed sets for similar "not perfect enough" reasons. I guess they're the ones now paying four or five times the original price for them because they didn't, for whatever reason, get them back when they were $50...I have no doubt this BBC box will have a similar trajectory.

I'm not sure if the BBC set will follow the same path as the 07/08 boxes, but your general point is valid. No-one in the band or organisation is going to think "Hmmm, sales aren't as high as we expected... why, it must be because of disgruntled fans being dissatisfied with incomplete shows. WE MUST PUT COMPLETE SHOWS OUT IMMEDIATELY! WHAT WAS WRONG WITH US!" Before, of course, going on to exclaim "And while we're at it, we must also - in a show of shame and contrition - release every minute of rehearsals and recordings of the band having conversations over lunch. And going to the toilet!"

Obviously it will be argued at length, by certain people here, that that's exactly what will happen...

Abandon all reason

• Thinking about Concord getting publishing royalties from more live releases, then it seems inevitable once we, the loyal fans who buy everything, have sprung for the current BBC Broadcast highlight compilation, they'll release the entire shows. I'm sure they're already prepared and due to be announced in a few months time. I bet they're already polishing up the deliberate errors that are signature part of each Genesis release.

Tony just means he can't see them recording new music. He's effectively in charge for any subsequent releases... for now. And when he no longer is, gloves will be off in terms of any reluctance to release things just because Tony can find a reason not to. Lyceum Blu-ray seems like it's itching to happen.

• I think it will be simply a business decision. If this set sells like gangbusters, then there will be consideration for what else to release. If sales are insipid, then I wouldn't expect much else down the pipeline.

• I don't have any expectations for other releases. I was shocked to hear about this one. Tony Banks continues to say the well is dry, yet here is another release. I'm not sure what to believe!

• I don't have any expectations for other releases. I was shocked to hear about this one. Tony Banks continues to say the well is dry, yet here is another release. I'm not sure what to believe!

I'd take his comment with a grain of salt tbh, since the BBC set is incomplete we know the well is not *completely* dry. There's a wet leaf at the bottom, or maybe even a tiny puddle of brackish water (perhaps with a pair of eyes under the surface peering malevolently up). However, I suspect these will remain where they are.

• I think it will be simply a business decision. If this set sells like gangbusters, then there will be consideration for what else to release. If sales are insipid, then I wouldn't expect much else down the pipeline.

I think getting to number 3 in the German album charts is clear evidence it's profitable. Concord will certainly release more as they want as big a return on *their* publishing rights as possible. The only question is how much veto power Tony has in the current arrangement.

• As someone said here - it's unclear what Tony meant - whether he was talking about future recordings "from the past" - or about concerts with Phil in the future. I didn't understand the context well. It all depends on whose rights the concert recordings are. If it's in the hands of Concord - they really will want to "get back" the money pretty quickly - which means something "new" will come out in my opinion by the end of 2024. But if Tony makes the decisions - there may be a problem. For sure, this box pays off financially for the band - the significant activity of Phil and Genesis on social media is also strange. It really is weird.

• I think getting to number 3 in the German album charts is clear evidence it's profitable.

Is it?!

Other than that, it doesn't seem to have charted in any other territories apart from Netherlands (11) and UK (23). Did it hang about? Is it still in the top 10 in Germany?

EDIT: looked it up - currently 73 in D, no longer in the top 100 in NL or UK.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• Chart performance for BBC Broadcasts

Chart (2023) Peak
    position
    Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)[4] 47
    Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)[5] 32
    Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)[6] 18
    Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)[7] 11
    French Albums (SNEP)[8] 71
    German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)[9] 3
    Italian Albums (FIMI)[10] 90