PETER GABRIEL - i/o: Artwork and artists

• Official Post

We have added an article to our i/o website special about the individual artists who contribute artwork to Peter Gabriel's tracks from i/o.

The first one is David Spriggs, and we also had the chance for a brief chat with him.

More here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c-io-The-Artwork-s869.html

• Apparently the tour programme book shows the artists and their respective pieces for all the new songs played on the tour, except "What Lies Ahead".

So we have...

• ALBUM ARTWORK: Nadav Kander
    1. Panopticom - "Red Gravity" by David Spriggs
    2. The Court - "Lifting the Curse" by Tim Shaw
    3. Playing for Time - "Mes voeux (avec nos cheveux)" by Annette Messager (apparently, the piece originally chosen for the song, as the May issue of Uncut Magazine suggests, was: "L'homme qui marche à l'envers du temps" by Annette Messager)
    4. i/o - "Colour experiment no. 114" by Olafur Eliasson
    5. Four Kinds of Horses - "Snap" by Cordelia Parker
    6. Road to Joy - "Middle Finger in Pink" by Ai Weiwei
    7. So Much - "Somewhere over Mercia" by Henry Hudson
    8. Olive Tree - "Chroniques Avec La Nature" by Barthélémy Toguo
    9. Love Can Heal - "A small painting of what I think love is" - Antony Micallef
    10. This is Home - "Conexión de catedral II" by David Moreno (last minute change, the piece originally chosen for the song was "La vie en rose" by David Moreno)
    11. And Still - "And Still (Time)" (originally known as "Dividing the Light (Rumblings)") by Megan Rooney
    12. Live and Let Live - "Soundsuit #1" by Nick Cave
    • Official Post

Apparently there will be a music video for Love Can Heal, that was confirmed today by Stefano Tucciarelli on Facebook (the quote is actually from Antony Micallef)

• The artist for Olive Tree is Bathelemy Toguo, the piece is called "Chroniques Avec La Nature". The piece for This Is Home is called "La Vie En Rose".

Thanks, I was trying to find the one for Olive Tree, but I couldn't find it anywhere. The one for "This is Home" I suspected it was "La vie en rose", but I wasn't sure, the picture I saw from the tour programme looked like the piece was red and not pink.

• all of these artists creating their interpretation of each song very much reminds me of the artwork from the Us album. I remember thinking that was a very visually compelling album sleeve.

This all makes me wonder what the actual album cover will look like...historically, PG has had himself on the cover in one form or another...

• Official Post

Since the photographer Nadav Kander is put a bit prominent into the tourbook, I believe one of his photographs will make the album cover. Maybe the one which is already on the tourbook cover?

And one remark: While the artworks for the US Album where directly made in respondse to the song, the artworks for i/o are collected together from existing works.

The only exception is the image for Olive Tree - and maybe the one for So Much - and maybe maybe the one for Road To Joy.

• Official Post

More details added, this time about Megan Rooney and her contribution to "And Still"

Genesis News Com [it]: i/o - The Artwork (genesis-news.com)

• I would hope we could see some sort of insert or space on the album sleeves which will contain the artwork. This would be easy for the CDs, but for the vinyl version, perhaps they could do something like what he did for Us-with the interesting artwork from that album shown next to the lyrics/credits for each track on the inner sleeves.

I would hate to have all that great artwork just be missed on the vinyl release...

• Official Post

I would hope we could see some sort of insert or space on the album sleeves which will contain the artwork. This would be easy for the CDs, but for the vinyl version, perhaps they could do something like what he did for Us-with the interesting artwork from that album shown next to the lyrics/credits for each track on the inner sleeves.

I would hate to have all that great artwork just be missed on the vinyl release...

there will be booklets for both, Vinyl and CDs