9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (1) 6%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (1) 6%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

STRICTLY INC - Charity Balls
    Year: 1995
    Album: Strictly Inc
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Banks
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 4:38
    Musicians: Tony Banks, Jack Hues, Nathan East, John Robinson
    Played Live: never
    Cover versions: ?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: Charity Balls is one of the absolute counterparts on the album compared to An Island In The Darkness, probably the most popular piece among Genesis fans. The latter is not only a bit unwieldy due to its length, it also shows a problem of Tony Banks solo: he is often "a chord too far" (to use the self-critical title of his best-of sampler). Charity Balls, on the other hand, is very light and, apart from its 1980s sound, has single potential. The radio-ready playing time of a good 4 1/2 minutes also speaks for this. The song somehow doesn't sound like Genesis at all. The lyrics may have been inspired by the many charity galas and balls Tony Banks was often invited to as a member of Genesis. The audience there usually seems glamorous, but all too often also has "skeletons in the closet". In this and other places, there is sometimes hidden, sometimes obvious social criticism of the stars and starlets who cavort at such balls and thus try to whitewash or make up for their scandals and scandals with charity. By the way, this is one of four songs on the album on which a certain Nathan East plays the bass. Parallel to the recording of Strictly Inc., he was literally travelling around the world with Phil Collins on the Both Sides Tour.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• 5. It's very bland, with the exception of some mildly interesting chord changes and arrangement around the bridge. I imagine Tony thinking that if it was a mechanics song it would be a hit, or something along those lines. I think Banks at his most interesting solo was The Fugitive, where he was being more true to himself. For his non-classical music career, he had the option of doubling down on that, which he didn't, or trying to be consciously more mainstream and commercial, which he did - with poor results.

Agree that A Piece of You was the highlight of this album.

• One of his best tunes IMO, on an otherwise rather bland and middle of the road album (honourable exception for Island in the Darkness which is effective and emotional if a little lumpen). Good, biting lyrics (are they about Jonathan King??)

• Pretty average track ... apparently a lot of tracks from Tony solo lack a certain element. Other have it, but this one is just okay - worth 8 points (great singer by the way).

• 5. It's very bland, with the exception of some mildly interesting chord changes and arrangement around the bridge. I imagine Tony thinking that if it was a mechanics song it would be a hit, or something along those lines. I think Banks at his most interesting solo was The Fugitive, where he was being more true to himself. For his non-classical music career, he had the option of doubling down on that, which he didn't, or trying to be consciously more mainstream and commercial, which he did - with poor results.

Agree that A Piece of You was the highlight of this album.

I agree about The Fugitive. It along with A Curious Feeling are his only two solo albums that I enjoy listening to start to finish. And I quite like his singing voice on The Fugitive—rather Al Stewartesque to my ear.

• I agree about The Fugitive. It along with A Curious Feeling are his only two solo albums that I enjoy listening to start to finish. And I quite like his singing voice on The Fugitive—rather Al Stewartesque to my ear.

Personally, I prefer Soundtracks to The Fugitive, the instrumentals work better, and the guests really add value.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!