Twitter thread of favorite Genesis songs

• For those interested, an account with nearly a million followers asked people what their favorite Genesis song is. Interesting spread of responses with an expected surplus of Suppers Read, Cinema Show etc but a lot of Home By The Sea and several more unexpected choices like Just A Job To Do. I find the variety of choices (and respondents) a testament of sorts to Genesis' breadth of appeal.

https://twitter.com/crockpics/…HwEPNxZD3SfNshd5jbzA&s=19

• I love a response from a guy saying "Why isn't Gabriel in that pic?!" and having it pointed out to him a number of times that, errrm, that's him there on the right... where Peter Gabriel is... He says "Well I've never seen him looking like that which threw me off". He also makes the mistake of pompously saying "Any TRUE Genesis fan knows the 70s classics" which of course yields replies of "Any TRUE Genesis fan can spot Peter Gabriel in a band photo!" Which to be fair he handles with good grace.

Being Penelope Pernickety as I am I enjoyed a number of erratic responses such as "My favourite is In The Cage from Seconds Out" which is interesting, being enough of a fan to know Cage (same guy also cites Undertow) but then placing it on Seconds Out.

Abandon all reason

• I love a response from a guy saying "Why isn't Gabriel in that pic?!" and having it pointed out to him a number of times that, errrm, that's him there on the right... where Peter Gabriel is... He says "Well I've never seen him looking like that which threw me off". He also makes the mistake of pompously saying "Any TRUE Genesis fan knows the 70s classics" which of course yields replies of "Any TRUE Genesis fan can spot Peter Gabriel in a band photo!" Which to be fair he handles with good grace.

Being Penelope Pernickety as I am I enjoyed a number of erratic responses such as "My favourite is In The Cage from Seconds Out" which is interesting, being enough of a fan to know Cage (same guy also cites Undertow) but then placing it on Seconds Out.

Yes, there are definitely a few off-kilter replies! Some replying with album names, some with the opening lines of a song, and some with solo songs like the woman who said "it's a toss-up between I wish it would rain down and throwing it all away". And there's also the stone cold classic "house by the sea".

• "house by the sea".

Hahahaha! I didn't spot that one.

Got me thinking now, how to get a Genesis song title slightly wrong.

The Carpet Creepers

The Lamb Lies Down On Wall Street

In A Cage

Me & Sally Jane

Sarah Jane & Me

Blood On The Ceilings

In & Out

Between The Lines

Turn It Off Again

It'll Get Better

That's It

Mummy ("Oh man, that evil cackle in Mummy")

Abandon all reason

• Blood On The Ceilings

:D

Sleeping While You Dream

Jesus I know Him

Reminds me of these bootleg tracklists from Amazon. Favorite is obviously "mom" but worthy runner ups in "colony of Slipper Men" and "skonk".

The idea of "audio participation time" makes me smile too. I imagine trying to coax the bookshelf speaker to wave it's arms in the air.

• This could be a forum game! Let me try:

The Bottle of Elmstreet Springs

First of Fist

Cuckadoo Coon

Isles of Scrambled Eggs

Heartaches

Matchbox of The Day

The Musical Hogs

I Can't, Dennis

Shrimpwreck

• The Carpet CRAWL

• Don't be daft. No-one would ever actually say that...

😶

That’s always been a real head scratcher to me. I’ve dug around online to try to find out why the song has a different title on different releases but can’t find a satisfactory answer.

• That’s always been a real head scratcher to me. I’ve dug around online to try to find out why the song has a different title on different releases but can’t find a satisfactory answer.

In your digging, apart from The Carpet Crawlers and The Carpet Crawl is it ever Carpet Crawlers, without the The? (Shades of Silent Sun's 'The' or not).

Abandon all reason