Best Genesis song for cpr

• It's not quite random enough to put in the thread of randomness!

Anyway, you likely heard or read at some point that if you're doing cpr, you should do it to the beat of "Stayin Alive", which is about 100bpm, a healthy rate to aim for if you're trying to keep circulation going in someone who's heart has stopped. It got me wondering, which Genesis tune would one use?

My limited research online points to I Can't Dance being a good one, at 104-108bpm (I think I saw both numbers on different sites). Alternatives are Land of Confusion and Jesus He Knows Me. Incidentally, all three titles pertain well also (I think)!

Maybe someone much more into the nuts and bolts of the music can offer other suggestions.

• Hold on my heart! :P

I've seen on the few sites that report these things that Hold on my Heart is 172bpm. Definitely too fast for effective CPR!

Great thread! I knew about Stayin Alive but I would imagine the patient wouldn't survive CPR to most Genesis tracks.

It's an interesting thing to think about doing chest compressions not in a 4/4 rhythm, but wholly not recommended I'm sure! CPR in 9/8 might lead to some sort of deficit or unusual change in personality (a new interest in trigonometry perhaps?), were the person to survive.

• Hold on my heart 172 bpm? What version are they listening to? The Prodigy? Just hummed it while looking at my watch, more like 48 bpm, way too slow, as it sounds.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• It's too bad Invisible Touch is a bit fast - I like that is has the line "She reaches in and grabs right hold of your heart". Definitely don't want to have CPR to Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist - that suggests the outcome is not looking good.

I might go for Second Home By the Sea. I think the bpm is about right and it has a nice pumping rhythm most of the way through.

• It's an interesting thing to think about doing chest compressions not in a 4/4 rhythm, but wholly not recommended I'm sure! CPR in 9/8 might lead to some sort of deficit or unusual change in personality (a new interest in trigonometry perhaps?), were the person to survive.

Firth of Fifth for me anytime, it has been my lifelong song favourite so I guess my heart is already beating in 21/8, 17/8 and 15/8 with some odd 2/4 thrown in.