PETER GABRIEL - Panopticom (Band Tracking Session 21/09/2021)

• Official Post

Peter Gabriel has just released the promised "original Band Tracking Session, 21/09/2021) on Bandcamp

Sounds like a live recording in the studio

• Official Post

I'm losing track of all these PG i/o related threads, let alone the ones concerning this one track alone.

the idea is to have discussions about the different versions individually, rather than mixing that all up in one thread.
    there still is a general i/o thread

Besides, we have an I/o album subforum where all related threads can be found

• the idea is to have discussions about the different versions individually, rather than mixing that all up in one thread.
    there still is a general i/o thread

Besides, we have an I/o album subforum where all related threads can be found

K 👍

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Fwiw I agree with backdrifter here. If there are 3 or 4 versions of each track that will be a lot of threads for one album and hard to have a conversation flow.

seriously. You prefer discussions about all versions in one thread? I mean you might want to exchange views on one of the versions and end up scrolling and searching for the right postings in a general thread for all versions?
    we actually did have a similar discussion in our German forum and that ended quickly because no one wanted to search for a specific version discussion in one general thread.

we have a subforum for I/o and there are - easy to find - individual threads for the releases.

But - if you have a good idea how to do this differently / better, I am happy to learn about that!

• seriously. You prefer discussions about all versions in one thread? I mean you might want to exchange views on one of the versions and end up scrolling and searching for the right postings in a general thread for all versions?
    we actually did have a similar discussion in our German forum and that ended quickly because no one wanted to search for a specific version discussion in one general thread.

we have a subforum for I/o and there are - easy to find - individual threads for the releases.

But - if you have a good idea how to do this differently / better, I am happy to learn about that!

I don't feel *that* strongly about it! Not sure what the volume of posts on the German site is like but I would have thought it was manageable enough here to have the discussions in one thread. Personally I don't think I'll be forensically analysing the versions enough to post more than once or twice per track but who knows. You already have experience of managing it elsewhere so I'll leave it at that.

• I would only say that at the end of the day we''re talking about different versions of a SONG. Surely the song provides the common denominator and all versions can be discussed in a topic about the song.. But I bow to Christian's experience.

• Would also add a note of thanks to Christian for running two different language sites for the fans, while having one set complain about approach A requiring a change to approach B, then the other group complain when approach B is taken! I'm sure it's like herding cats so... Thank you.

• Official Post

I am thinking about having a general track discussion thread and a second one which specifically deals with comparisons between the different mixes. That might bring more structure to the discussion.

Opinions?

• I am thinking about having a general track discussion thread and a second one which specifically deals with comparisons between the different mixes. That might bring more structure to the discussion.

Opinions?

sounds like a good solution.
    Peter‘s release concept seems to be quite a challenge for our discussions as well …

• I'm pretty sure that'll still happen. Unless you've reason to believe otherwise?

You can definitely still go into record shops and buy a new vinyl LP, but the cost can be pretty eyewatering compared in real terms to when I started buying albums. Allowing for inflation it's now at least double the equivalent of when I first bought new albums.

Abandon all reason

• You can definitely still go into record shops and buy a new vinyl LP, but the cost can be pretty eyewatering compared in real terms to when I started buying albums. Allowing for inflation it's now at least double the equivalent of when I first bought new albums.

Yes, it seems to have gone completely nuts. I like getting new releases and the occasion deluxe edition for bands I really like, but even I can barely bring myself to fork over the amounts asked for these days. More casual purchases are definitely strictly limited to second hand stuff. Or not at all.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.