How many albums by the same artist re-releases?...........

• Hi Folks,

How many albums to you own that re- released again and again of the same album.:?:.....

Like movie DVD's...... Was also confused by these terms Directors cut.

However, geting back to music. I realized todays standard is much better now. A band from the 70 & 80s had limited rescources back then. CD's were classed as AAD, ADD, and best was DDD for best quality.

I've stopped buying cd's now and get digital downloads, far cheaper now, specially when postage is concerned. Since the record shops here are closing down, what's the point... A cd can cost between $15.00 to $30.00 to ship... Depending on it's origin . A digital download can cost as little as $5.00 - $12.00 in most cases.

I was always sceptical back in the 90s about re-mastered cd's, but now can say the world of technology has done a grand job of re-producing fantastic music to todays hi-tech standards. 8)

• I think the most I own of any album is three versions: the vinyl, CD and "remastered" or "re-mixed" version. That would be true of my Genesis and Phil Collins collection anyway.

I still buy CDs (or have CDs bought for me) because I prefer to own something tangible, even though the packaging of a CD can never compare to its vinyl counterpart.

• Noni

Changed the title of the thread from “How many albums by the same artist re-release?...........” to “How many albums by the same artist re-releases?...........”.
  • The Who's Live At Leeds is one that I own multiple versions of: vinyl, the original CD, the expanded CD, the deluxe edition, the collector's edition with Live At Hull, and the complete unedited bootleg. The first two were what I purchased as they were available. The expanded CD had more tracks and better sound. The deluxe edition had the full set, but somewhat less good sound. The collector's edition had Live At Hull. The unedited bootleg had, well, no edits.

• Strangely, I think the only artist where I had every album in multiple formats was/is Led Zeppelin.

I had all the albums on vinyl, cassette, and CD (the original Atlantic releases, JP's original remastering in the 90s, and the deluxe editions that started coming out 4 - 5 years ago). I even have "How The West Was Won" on BluRay audio now (and it's awesome). 8)

I missed out on the 8-track tapes (because they completely sucked as a format, and I can't fathom why they ever existed in the first place) and the reel-to-reel tapes (which sounded amazing, but were rare and expensive).

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I'm not one for buying multiple remasters on CD, but I have vinyl and CD copies of all my Genesis, Rush, Floyd, King Crimson, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Black Sabbath, Led Zep and The Cure albums.

I think I do have two CD versions of A Trick of the Tail too. One including the DVD of the 1976 'Genesis in concert film'

• Strangely, I think the only artist where I had every album in multiple formats was/is Led Zeppelin.

I had all the albums on vinyl, cassette, and CD (the original Atlantic releases, JP's original remastering in the 90s, and the deluxe editions that started coming out 4 - 5 years ago). I even have "How The West Was Won" on BluRay audio now (and it's awesome). 8)

I missed out on the 8-track tapes (because they completely sucked as a format, and I can't fathom why they ever existed in the first place) and the reel-to-reel tapes (which sounded amazing, but were rare and expensive).

8 track was originally intended as a car format.

I have owned all the Moody Blues original 7 albums as: Official cassette, LP, CD, Remastered CD and in the case of DOFP, the new "original mix CD". Same goes for many of their solo albums.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• 8 track was originally intended as a car format.

I was aware of that about 8-track tapes - I just felt like abusing it as a format! :D (I don't know why they didn't make cassette players for cars sooner - 8-tracks should have been rejected just for aesthetic reasons...)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• I was aware of that about 8-track tapes - I just felt like abusing it as a format! :D (I don't know why they didn't make cassette players for cars sooner - 8-tracks should have been rejected just for aesthetic reasons...)

We used to take a portable tape recorder in the car back in the day!.....^^

Never had an 8 track at all. What were they like ? :/

• My weakness here

I have all the original genesis albums, the definitive edition cds and boxed SACDs and boxed vinyls

Just bought a load of Kate Bush remastered vinyl and cd s to go.with all the vinyl and cds I already have so now got 4 copies of most her stuff. I have 5 copies of Floyd's DSOTM and multiple others. Plus multiple copies of stuff from other bands here and there, including.Hawkwind Bowie, Sabbath and Zep. Oh and all 4 abacab vinyl covers

I keep telling myself not to do it, I don't play them enough to justify it, I know they're rip.off prices and I keep hitting myself with twigs as punishment for this sin.