Mark Bell: GENESIS and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (book) now in English!

• Official Post

Think that's the way Amazon operate, guess you don't end up with old stock that way.

That's their print on demand service - also a reason why this book it not available elsewhere. Biggest advantage is they can easily make updates an corrections.

• This may seem like a mundane question, but does the book address how the photos were gathered for the slides that were used on the tour? I've always been fascinated by old photos of NYC, especially those taken in the more gritty areas of the city (which back in the 1970s encompassed large sections of the city that have since been cleaned up and gentrified).

• This may seem like a mundane question, but does the book address how the photos were gathered for the slides that were used on the tour? I've always been fascinated by old photos of NYC, especially those taken in the more gritty areas of the city (which back in the 1970s encompassed large sections of the city that have since been cleaned up and gentrified).

The tour, and preparation are dealt with in an 80 page chapter - which I've not got to yet.

I've quickly skimmed the chapter though. There are quotes from the guys putting the slides together - Theo Botchuijver and Jeffrey Shaw in which they recall a 'pivotal trip' to NYC to gather material and numerous meetings and phone calls with PG.

If you're on the fence about this book, I'd say just get it. I know it's expensive for a paperback, but I'm really enjoying it so far and learning a lot despite considering myself quite knowledgeable about The Lamb.

The Musical Box Lamb tour this year is also preceded by a documentary with Botchuijver talking about the slides and show - very interesting. Maybe it's on Youtube?

• The tour, and preparation are dealt with in an 80 page chapter - which I've not got to yet.

I've quickly skimmed the chapter though. There are quotes from the guys putting the slides together - Theo Botchuijver and Jeffrey Shaw in which they recall a 'pivotal trip' to NYC to gather material and numerous meetings and phone calls with PG.

If you're on the fence about this book, I'd say just get it. I know it's expensive for a paperback, but I'm really enjoying it so far and learning a lot despite considering myself quite knowledgeable about The Lamb.

The Musical Box Lamb tour this year is also preceded by a documentary with Botchuijver talking about the slides and show - very interesting. Maybe it's on Youtube?

Thanks for the information. I’ll look on YouTube for the documentary. I’m really look forward to seeing The Musical Box this May in Philadelphia!

• Finally started this book last night. One chapter in, and I definitely don't like the writing style....not sure if the problem is the author or the translation.

I had to laugh at the copyright page. I don't even normally look at that page, but on this one it mentions that the buyer cannot lend the book to others, nor re-sell it. Makes me want to lend the book to a friend for sure....come and get me ^^

• Yes, that got me thinking, but I think it means you can't lend it or pass it on in any other form than that in which it is published i.e. you shouldn't put another cover on it or change it and then pass it on. So I think you are safe! I've just started reading it and I think it is very well researched and put together. There are little bits I didn't know and some interesting theories. I know the fact that it was written in German and then translated shows through - I suspect the original German is very well written and sophisticated, which can make for a tricky translation experience. But overall I like it and glad I bought it.

• I bought a copy (in English) last month & really enjoyed it. I agree that some passages had some awkward wording, but that did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. (The author's English is much better than my German!) It was very well researched & structured!

My bandmates & I were pleasantly surprised to find "The Rock Orchestra" name-checked in the later chapter about other performances of "The Lamb"!

• I noticed that Mark Bell's second book in his Album Age series, on Foxtrot, has been published (in German). Any news on an English translation?

Not planned at the moment. I'll keep you posted as I am in touch with the author

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• Here is a message from author Mark Bell:

Mark Bell is currently looking for an English native speaker to check his translation of the Foxtrot-Book. It's rather about style and wording than spelling. Ideal would - for instance be - an (active or retired) English teacher.

In case you are interested (or know someone who might be interested) you can directly get in contact with Mark via albumage@posteo.de

Mark Bell is currently looking for an English native speaker to check his translation of the Foxtrot-Book. It's rather about style and wording than spelling. Ideal would - for instance be - an (active or retired) English teacher.

In case you are interested (or know someone who might be interested) you can directly get in contact with Mark via albumage@posteo.de

Hmmm...

That sounds awesome! I'm working my way through the Lamb book and it's slow going because the text is often awkward, most likely due to the quality of the translation.

• I read the Foxtrot book in German and it is incredible, I was overwhelmed by all the detailed work that went into it. The only little thing that bothered me slightly was some awkward wordings that I believed to be coming through translation from English - due to the author's name I had believed him to be British, it took me a little time to realize he is German. Anyways, the book was worth every word, it is really a unique insight into the band and everything around them at this specific time.

much appreciated! I enjoyed the Lamb book but it had indeed some strange wordings / expressions. Looking forward to reading the Foxtrot book…

• I also appreciate Mark‘s attention for details and we have been in touch since he announced his Lamb album, which received stunning feedback here in Germany. I also met him last year in person during the Night of the Prog festival and I hope you’ll get to read his Foxtrot book soon!

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!