TotW 02/06/2023 - 02/12/2023: GENESIS - Heathaze

• Agree with the comments about how well PC conveys some real clunkinesses in this one.

so always wondered why i should be aware of this particular fisherman? 🤔

Well for a start don't count on buying any of his catch. I gather he's not that great at spotting when there's even water, let alone fish!

Abandon all reason

• To add another thought, I've just remembered that as far as the lyrics go, for years I misheard the "throw some bread to the ducks instead" line. I thought the end of the line was "darkened stairs", and couldn't make out the first part. I thought the first word was "closer". So I had "closer <baydothe> darkened stairs" or something.

So the fact that seemingly gibberish lyrics led to "I feel like an alien" bit... Well, it all made sense in a nonsensical way. If that makes sense! It was a bit mysterious, a welcome thing in the era of blur and oasis, when I was really discovering Genesis. And that air has stuck to the song for me.

Wow I'm not sure there's much more I can say about this tune! I probably haven't listened to it in 5 or 6 years!!

• 13/15 from me

One of the tracks on „Duke“ you might not mention first, but it’s always a great tune when you play the album. Also sort of shows what great songs Tony was able to write!

• so always wondered why i should be aware of this particular fisherman? 🤔

Because a heathaze makes things appear different to how they really are. The fisherman has been fooled, the singer not. I guess it's a good allegory for conspiracy theorists, more common in these internet-days than back then, but they still existed.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• 12 from me

First thought was this is a 14 but when you compare this to some genesis classics it’s still a great track but nonetheless not quite as outstanding as others (Dukes Travels for example)

• Official Post

12 from me

First thought was this is a 14 but when you compare this to some genesis classics it’s still a great track but nonetheless not quite as outstanding as others (Dukes Travels for example)

That's a nice description and I agree. 12 from me as well!