Random non-Genesis music stuff

• Radio presenter: "Coming up, some Stereophonics". Translation: "We are, as bloody usual, going to play sodding Dakota again."

"We'll be hearing from Elbow after the news" = "We'll obviously be playing One Day Like This".

"Stick around for a live session track from Wet Leg. In other words, we'll be playing Chaise Longue as it's the only one of theirs we ever play, but it's a live session version for a change."

Abandon all reason

• I was peripherally aware of Corinne Bailey Rae as a soul/R&B artist. So I was very surprised by two of her most recent songs which are distorted-vocals noise fests. I like it!

A quick check reveals she was indeed as I remembered at the soul end of the spectrum and reviews of her latest album remark on the startling right-angled stylistic turn she's made. As well as the punky stuff there's apparently some psychotic jazz and bleepy electro. Sounds like an album I need to hear.

Here's Erasure and New York Transit Queen

Abandon all reason

• I always loved Amoureuse by Kiki Dee. I was about 8yo when it came out and it stayed with me, I still like listening to it now. However, all credit to its writer, Veronique Sanson so here is her beautiful shimmering original. It's one of my favourite melody lines.

Abandon all reason

• Do you have any of those artists whose work you always like when you hear it, yet you never investigate them any further let alone buy any of their stuff? For me, Ride are an example of that. Today I heard Peace Sign on the radio, I think it's a new one. And as usual I thought, oh I like this, who is it? Ahhhhh, Ride, of course... Leading no doubt to my not doing anything about it until I hear another one I like and think the exact same thing.

Abandon all reason

• Do you have any of those artists whose work you always like when you hear it, yet you never investigate them any further let alone buy any of their stuff? For me, Ride are an example of that. Today I heard Peace Sign on the radio, I think it's a new one. And as usual I thought, oh I like this, who is it? Ahhhhh, Ride, of course... Leading no doubt to my not doing anything about it until I hear another one I like and think the exact same thing.

City Boy

Back in my teens, a couple of friends were going off to see this band I'd never heard of and they played me a couple of their albums. There is a song ("Haymaking Time") off their first album which i absolutely love. I have it as an mp3 in a folder of random songs on my desktop. There was another album of theirs my friends played for me called The Day The Earth Caught Fire which I remember thinking was OK.

But I've never been compelled to go out and buy any of their albums because I suspect most of their music would fall into the realm of bombastic pop (in the vein or Styx or Kansas) which I don't mind but is not really the kind of music I would listen to a lot.

• Covers that take the original and really distort it fascinate me. A good example is the Scissor Sisters version of Comfortably Numb where they took a dirgey heavy Pink Floyd number and made a perky disco track of it.

An opposite example is this one, where Billy Corgan had Robert Smith guest on his cover of the Bee Gees cheery "To Love Somebody" and made a somewhat melted, alternative version. I think their voices and guitars meld so well on it, and as an aside, whenever I hear it I can't help but think of the photo from David Bowie's 50th birthday where he had dozens of stars perform with him but in the photo Billy's on one side of him and Robert Smith on the other. Such a creative trio.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here's the image I'm thinking of too

Always been a big fan of Ride, from their early shoegazing stuff to new releases. Good live act as well...Twisterella still a great song which takes me back to some late indie nights in London

• Had Greatest Hits Radio on in the car earlier, Ken Bruce doing listeners "tracks of my years", the nominated listener picked Howzat by Sherbet, a great song, which, maybe oddly, always puts me in mind of another great song, Sky High by Jigsaw (which, from memory, is from the film "the man from Hong Kong"). Guess what said listeners next choice was? Maybe not so odd after all. ;)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Had Greatest Hits Radio on in the car earlier, Ken Bruce doing listeners "tracks of my years", the nominated listener picked Howzat by Sherbet, a great song, which, maybe oddly, always puts me in mind of another great song, Sky High by Jigsaw (which, from memory, is from the film "the man from Hong Kong"). Guess what said listeners next choice was? Maybe not so odd after all. ;)

I was Sherbet's biggest fan when I was a teenager. I saw them many times. Strangely enough, in their earlier years they were quite 'prog'. They did a nine minute version of Graham Nash's Chicago which was very simlar to the Nice (the keyboard player worshipped Keith Emerson). Then they sacked the guitarist and went pop, with Howzat going to Number Two in the UK. Why they thought that song would bring them success in the US too, I have no idea.

• 100 years ago today, Bette McMurray was born. She gave 2 things to the world: Liquid paper, aka errorex, snopake, typing correction fluid, the last one is a hint to our younger members who probably don't even remember typewriters, it was like white paint you used to correct mistakes on documents. She also, after marriage, gave us her son, Michael Nesmith, most famous for the Monkees, but much more talented than that. Thank you Bette!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• errorex

This was its name when I remember first coming across it, in the 1980s I think. I'd forgotten that. Pretty soon after it was universally known as tippex in the UK and I never saw the name 'errorex' again.

Michael Nesmith, most famous for the Monkees, but much more talented than that.

A talented chap, as were all the Monkees who as a group did some excellent pop music.

Abandon all reason