Random non-Genesis music stuff

• An 'other music and bands' version of the Randomness thread for stuff that feels it doesn't need a whole other thread of its own. For example:

Hearing it on the radio just now I'm reminded, as ever, that The Whole Of The Moon by The Waterboys is possibly the best example of a song starting well then collapsing under the weight of all the superfluous stuff piled into it. It initially has a nice sparseness to it, and while I get that you need some progression in a song, by the time it gets to the explosions and melodramatically wailing sax it's gone stupidly over the top and for me ruins the song.

Abandon all reason

• Agreed, they’d probably do it differently now I think. Some songs are so cheerfully over the top it’s wonderful - Bohemian Rhapsody being the obvious example.

Not sure where I’d put John Miles ‘Music’ - certainly more at the Bohemian Rhapsody end of the spectrum. It’s so over the top it’s quite glorious and is anchored to a good tune.

• Agreed, they’d probably do it differently now I think. Some songs are so cheerfully over the top it’s wonderful - Bohemian Rhapsody being the obvious example.

Not sure where I’d put John Miles ‘Music’ - certainly more at the Bohemian Rhapsody end of the spectrum. It’s so over the top it’s quite glorious and is anchored to a good tune.

But there's something a bit different with those songs. The grandiosity feels controlled and in place. BR moves through different segments in a logical-feeling way, Music does too and consciously aims for 'anthemic', containing that feel effectively. Moon feels too like "Oh hang on why don't we throw this in as well" which doesn't sit well over the clean lines it starts off with.

Abandon all reason

• Indeed, I don’t think I made it clear enough I was agreeing with you and using those other two songs as contrasts. Moon is a potentially epic track which loses its way, whereas the others are developed in ways which tolerates the grandiose. The production values of the 80s have a lot to answer for.

• I take a different stance on The Whole of the Moon. Yes it does keep adding in everything but the kitchen sink and I don't really mind that. I find that kinda funny and yet not unpleasantly excessive.

• Indeed, I don’t think I made it clear enough I was agreeing with you and using those other two songs as contrasts. Moon is a potentially epic track which loses its way, whereas the others are developed in ways which tolerates the grandiose. The production values of the 80s have a lot to answer for.

In turn I don't think I made it clear enough I was agreeing with your agreeing with me! I got that you used the other songs as comparison , I was building on that.

Abandon all reason

• Heard "Go Your Own Way" on the radio today for the zillionth time, and it struck me that of all the songs I've heard a zillion times on the radio, there is something particularly evergreen about this song. It always sounds fresh somehow, 45 years or so on. I think they nailed the tension in the song. The kind of push and pull between the guitar/vocal and drums in the verse. Also the real-life drama behind the lyrics that maybe adds a notch of authenticity. And probably the production, which is nice and vibrant.

• Heard "Go Your Own Way" on the radio today for the zillionth time, and it struck me that of all the songs I've heard a zillion times on the radio, there is something particularly evergreen about this song. It always sounds fresh somehow, 45 years or so on. I think they nailed the tension in the song. The kind of push and pull between the guitar/vocal and drums in the verse. Also the real-life drama behind the lyrics that maybe adds a notch of authenticity. And probably the production, which is nice and vibrant.

Greatest song they ever did.

I agree this is a song that never fades for me, no matter how many times it is played on the radio. It nails so many things well. The lyric captures the sadness and bitterness of the end of a relationship, which so many can identify with. The melody is simple and incredibly catchy. There is great contrast between verses and choruses. Verses have a syncopated rhythm, with a lower register vocal. Choruses switch to a straight rhythm and a much more urgent vocal line, with fabulous three-part harmony. And the bass line gets busier in the chorus, which adds to the urgency. I also want to highlight the chiming acoustic guitars in the verses, which set the rhythm for the verses. Wonderful songcraft, arrangement, and performances.

• I agree this is a song that never fades for me, no matter how many times it is played on the radio. It nails so many things well. The lyric captures the sadness and bitterness of the end of a relationship, which so many can identify with. The melody is simple and incredibly catchy. There is great contrast between verses and choruses. Verses have a syncopated rhythm, with a lower register vocal. Choruses switch to a straight rhythm and a much more urgent vocal line, with fabulous three-part harmony. And the bass line gets busier in the chorus, which adds to the urgency. I also want to highlight the chiming acoustic guitars in the verses, which set the rhythm for the verses. Wonderful songcraft, arrangement, and performances.

Lindsey Buckingham's solo before the fadeout. Urgent & climactic. I am just nowhere near as good as describing this stuff as everyone else here.

• Cool. A photo of Dave Gilmour and Mark Knopfler together in a studio. Murmurings of some charity-based collaboration.

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edit: mark Knopfler looks a bit like Kevin Spacey these days

• Cool. A photo of Dave Gilmour and Mark Knopfler together in a studio. Murmurings of some charity-based collaboration.

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edit: mark Knopfler looks a bit like Kevin Spacey these days

I was delighted to see the photo, but Kevin Spacey? Please. Kevin Spacey still has hair.