BIG BIG TRAIN thread

• Finally, Big Big Train are on tour again and will also do several shows in mainland Europe. I saw them a couple of years ago on the Loreley. They now have a new singer after the sad death of David Longdon.

Tour dates:

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/live/

Teaser

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

I saw them as well on the Loreley in 2018. I am not a huge fan, but follow a bit what they do. Also Nick D‘Virgilio is part of the band.

• I had lost sight of them for a couple of years now, it happens when you have other things on your mind. I just find out about David's absurd and tragic death and that he has been replaced by an Italian singer.

I wish the band all the best, they deserve it, David will be missed though.

• Official Post

New video:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've played the album 3ctimes now, the music is great, Beneath The Masts and Miramare are excellent, but I can't get into the new singer at all.

His West End Show-tunes type singing really irritates.

After David passed away, I knew his shoes would be hard to fill, but this guy has single handedly ruined one of my favourite bands.

I'm gutted.

That irritating little bit of vibrato he adds to the end of each phrase makes the album almost unlistenable now.

I put it on half an hour ago and switch it off as soon as the singing came on.

I would say "Greg, what were you thinking?"

But I seem to be in a minority...

• But I seem to be in a minority...

So it seems, mind you, I still prefer David and by a lot but after having seen the live performances and listened to the new record, I can confidently say Alberto is doing an excellent job and I expect him to develop further. That said, voices, tone, timbre and vocal mannerism are like colors, some you like, some others you don't, and the best part is, you don't even need to have a reason.

• The new album is quite good and I think it is a bit better than the last few ones with DL. Especially for Genesis fans there is a lot to discover.

... there's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in

• The new album is quite good and I think it is a bit better than the last few ones with DL. Especially for Genesis fans there is a lot to discover.

I agree, new singer aside, the material seems to be more solid than on their last releases, I confess I got a bit worried with their last albums, but this one, even though it doesn't reach their previous peaks, is sort of a return to form.